XBOX 360 laggy guide all of a sudden

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
Ed 

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Ed  » Fri Jul 31, 2015 2:12 am

glugglug wrote:BTW, I figured out where the cached images are stored..... they are ending up in the Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5 folder like Internet Exploder cache -- clearing IE cache will get rid of the images for the current user. So to get rid of the small fraction that don't expire from cache quickly, the trick would be to clear the Internet Explorer cache for extender users. Anyone know of an easy way to do that?
Have you seen if the folder is there (making sure 'view hidden files' is checked and 'hide protected operating system items' is unchecked in view options) while the extender is connected to the PC?

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Fri Jul 31, 2015 4:13 am

Yes, the folders are there. Extender doesn't need to be connected. I was afraid simply deleting the files in it might screw something up, but it looks like it worked and got rid of the remaining images. Each extender has it under the path C:\Users\Mcx<extender #>-<machine name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Admin is required to grant yourself permission to view the extender users folder.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Fri Jul 31, 2015 5:24 am

glugglug wrote:Yes, the folders are there. Extender doesn't need to be connected. I was afraid simply deleting the files in it might screw something up, but it looks like it worked and got rid of the remaining images. Each extender has it under the path C:\Users\Mcx<extender #>-<machine name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Admin is required to grant yourself permission to view the extender users folder.
OK good to know. I know some registry entries pertaining to extender user accounts only show when the extender is actually connected, so that's what made me think of that.

joeer77

Post by joeer77 » Fri Jul 31, 2015 9:19 pm

glugglug wrote:Yes, the folders are there. Extender doesn't need to be connected. I was afraid simply deleting the files in it might screw something up, but it looks like it worked and got rid of the remaining images. Each extender has it under the path C:\Users\Mcx<extender #>-<machine name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files\Content.IE5

Attempted to delete cached images. Went as far as C:\Users\Mcx<extender #>-<machine name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows. But there was not a Temporary Internet Files directory. I guess it's a non-issue then on my HTPC?

grungymegajeff

Post by grungymegajeff » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:49 am

I have two Xbox extenders and both are really having problems with lag when navigating the channel guide. You folks seem to be on to something with the TV show thumbnail images that are imbedded in the guide. Here's what I did to troubleshoot:

On my WMC PC open Resource Monitor (through task manager)
- click on the Network tab

On my Xbox open TV channel guide and start moving around, navigating through channels

Resource Manager shows my network card on the WMC PC hitting nearly 100 Mbps while I use the guide. Essentially its maxing out bandwidth. This is what I believe is causing lag. I'm using the new Rovi guide.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 12:51 am

joeer77 wrote:

Attempted to delete cached images. Went as far as C:\Users\Mcx<extender #>-<machine name>\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows. But there was not a Temporary Internet Files directory. I guess it's a non-issue then on my HTPC?
Temporary Internet Files is hidden...so you have to ensure you are displaying hidden files and folders. Then once you are inside Temporary Internet Files, you won't see Content.IE5. You have to click on the address bar and append the path with "\Content.IE5".

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:04 am

Content.IE5 will show if "Show hidden files, folders, and drives" is checked and "Hide protected operating system files" is not.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 3:34 am

Not on mine. Crash2009 had the same problem a few weeks ago. How did you get it to show?

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Sat Aug 01, 2015 5:01 am

richard1980 wrote:Not on mine. Crash2009 had the same problem a few weeks ago. How did you get it to show?
Nothing special, it just does, at least with the folder options I set when first logging into a new machine. Your folder options looks like this?

joeer77

Post by joeer77 » Sat Aug 01, 2015 2:24 pm

Thanks again glugglug. I never have had to uncheck that box before. Now I was able to delete the contents of IE5 directory. Most of the show images were 500KB or less but I had a couple show images that were over 1MB! Really rovi? Come on. That is just a wast of network and HTPC resources not to mention the Xbox 360 lag it creates. I wish I had a zap2it IE5 directory to compare file sizes.

Guide navigation is now totally smooth on my wireless Xbox 360 extender. I don't have show preview images in the guide but oh well. When exercising the Xbox guide I noticed Windows 7 created new folders in the IE5 directory. Did not see any cached image files added to the new directories.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat Aug 01, 2015 6:09 pm

Also, be sure to set 'Movies' to View>List seeing as the images are blocked now, it will switch to a text-only type view for recorded movies in 'Movie Library' and movies in 'Movie Guide'.

jpmarth

Post by jpmarth » Sun Aug 02, 2015 3:17 am

I seem to be the exception to the rule...

I used the posted method from glugglug, adding the new image addresses to the host file, but no improvement. I then went through the setup process again, but still no improvement.

When I go in to the temporary internet files... well, attempt to... I get the following message "C:\Users\Mcx2-OFFICEPC\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files is not accessible. Access is denied."

Suggestions???

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Aug 02, 2015 5:44 am

glugglug wrote:
richard1980 wrote:Not on mine. Crash2009 had the same problem a few weeks ago. How did you get it to show?
Nothing special, it just does, at least with the folder options I set when first logging into a new machine. Your folder options looks like this?

That's what mine looks like, but I don't see Content.IE5. Weird.
jpmarth wrote:I seem to be the exception to the rule...

I used the posted method from glugglug, adding the new image addresses to the host file, but no improvement. I then went through the setup process again, but still no improvement.

When I go in to the temporary internet files... well, attempt to... I get the following message "C:\Users\Mcx2-OFFICEPC\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows\Temporary Internet Files is not accessible. Access is denied."

Suggestions???
You have to take control of the folder.

glugglug

Post by glugglug » Sun Aug 02, 2015 2:41 pm

Yes, start from C:\Users\Mcx2-OFFICEPC.

Until you grant yourself permission to the top level directory, it won't see that the subdirs inside it exist.

bartman01

Post by bartman01 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 5:50 am

Ed  wrote:Also, be sure to set 'Movies' to View>List seeing as the images are blocked now, it will switch to a text-only type view for recorded movies in 'Movie Library' and movies in 'Movie Guide'.
That is not an option that I can find, at least not in the Windows 7 version of WMC. Blocking the images patches the TV issues but totally breaks the movies area. You can't even see a generic thumbnail with the names of the movies anymore.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:07 am

bartman01 wrote:
Ed  wrote:Also, be sure to set 'Movies' to View>List seeing as the images are blocked now, it will switch to a text-only type view for recorded movies in 'Movie Library' and movies in 'Movie Guide'.
That is not an option that I can find, at least not in the Windows 7 version of WMC. Blocking the images patches the TV issues but totally breaks the movies area. You can't even see a generic thumbnail with the names of the movies anymore.
Highlight a movie, any movie. Don't select/hit ok on it. Hit the info button or mouse right click (if on computer). You'll see an option that says 'list view' or 'view list' or just 'list' or something, can't recall specifically ATM. Select that.

nikleb

Post by nikleb » Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:33 pm

I am having the same issue after redoing the TV-setup.

My program content stopped updating altogether about 2-3 weeks ago. I was unable to get it to download. I did hit download latest, MC indicated success, but program in guide did not update. As a result I went through the TV setup. As a result the programming is up-to-date again. However, it seems that there is a new guide source. Some recordings do no longer work as some of the wording changed just slightly.

After doing above I noticed that the extender guide is so slow that it is not usable anymore. Playback is ok. I doubt that it is network performance. I am seeing in this thread a couple of approaches suggested to fix. Is there a confirmed fix for this?

BobRetro

Post by BobRetro » Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:33 pm

Over the last week or so I've noticed the guide being slower than normal. Yesterday, I went into the Movie Guide and my extender (xbox 360) appeared to lock up. After waiting for quite some time, some movies popped up, but there were very few thumbnails shown, mostly just the colored tile with the name in it. Slowly, some of them filled in with the thumbnail. I went to my server and started WMC and all of the thumbnails showed properly. I tried this with 3 different extenders and had the same result. I think the slow guide is related, because as you scroll through the guide, it shows the thumbnail, and those are slow to appear. I've tried all of the usual suspects, resetting, rebooting, etc, to no avail. TV streaming still works fine, no network issues. It's just that sometimes the movie guide completely locks up and I have to restart the Xbox completely. I searched around and saw the note that MS switched providers. My guide appears to be up-to-date and there are no holes in it. Should I go back through the setup and see if the problem is resolved or is this a known issue (couldn't find the exact issue in the forums). As I mentioned, this all works perfectly on the server, it's just the extenders having the problem. Also, I tried going to the Microsoft Connect link that's floating around here and it says the page is not available.

Thanks for any help in advance!

Bob

[Moderator note: topic merged]

Doctor Feelgood

Post by Doctor Feelgood » Mon Aug 03, 2015 2:57 pm

I applied this fix for my two XBOX 360 extenders, and all is well - Thanks glugglug!

But... is there a Microsoft Connect thread on this, or has anyone inquired about getting this fixed properly so we can get the images back in the guide? I am browsing Connect now, and don't see anything on this topic. Once this is working right, I would say the switchover issues are over for me. Thanks.

EDIT: OK, I found it... It sure could use some upvotes...

https://connect.microsoft.com/site1145/ ... ls/1598985

bartman01

Post by bartman01 » Mon Aug 03, 2015 6:15 pm

Ed  wrote:Highlight a movie, any movie. Don't select/hit ok on it. Hit the info button or mouse right click (if on computer). You'll see an option that says 'list view' or 'view list' or just 'list' or something, can't recall specifically ATM. Select that.
Thanks. Never knew that was there - don't think they could have hid that any better.