Display Driver Error on Windows 8.1

aleckrohto

HTPC Specs: Show details

Display Driver Error on Windows 8.1

Post by aleckrohto » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:33 pm

Hello guys,
I am wondering how to fix the error message of "Display driver error The video playback device does not support playback of protected content". I get this message when I am using Windows Media Center on Windows 8.1. However, when I restart my computer the issue goes away and when I close WMC the error comes up. I am using an Asus N550JA with an Intel 4600 graphics card.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Jul 01, 2015 8:48 pm

Audio driver issues throws the same error. Closing MC rather than restarting the PC will suffice.

I only see these errors once or twice after upgrading firmware on my Prime then goes away.

aleckrohto

Post by aleckrohto » Wed Jul 01, 2015 10:44 pm

Anybody have any ideas on how to fix this?

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Jul 01, 2015 11:17 pm

Have you tried reinstalling or updating your video driver? Do you have any codecs installed? Did the issue crop up recently?

A lot of things can trigger the error.

Welcome aboard, by the way. :thumbup:

UncleRoy

Post by UncleRoy » Fri Jul 10, 2015 3:02 pm

I am running laptop to TV via HDMI. Had graphics properties set to "duplicate" display to TV. When I changed it to ONLY display on TV and re-ran the DGA the error went away.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Fri Jul 10, 2015 9:16 pm

UncleRoy wrote:I am running laptop to TV via HDMI. Had graphics properties set to "duplicate" display to TV. When I changed it to ONLY display on TV and re-ran the DGA the error went away.
There's your problem. HDCP(digital protection) does not support that configuration, Set the system to extend the display to both monitors and move WMC to your 2nd monitor then try again. It should resolve your problem.

I ran into this using 2 HDMI out ports on my HTPC, trying to get video on one and audio on the other, I tried this same thing with the same results.

This will not work, even if you try new drivers, it might work for a little while but, this error WILL come back.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012