Surface Pro 3 Extender hack/option?

kc0072

HTPC Specs: Show details

Surface Pro 3 Extender hack/option?

Post by kc0072 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 6:56 pm

Please tell me there is an app or program to allow the MS surface to act as an extender so I can watch live and recorded tv on it. either in the works or already available?

and while I am at it, is Ceton developing an application so we can upgrade to windows 10 and still watch live tv?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot :D

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:58 pm

MS Surface is a Windows computer.

Windows computers are not extenders.

Windows computers cannot be extenders.

MS Surface is not an extender, and cannot be an extender.

Because MS Surface is a Windows computer.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun Jun 07, 2015 10:54 pm

While it can't be an extender, as Adam logically proved, it may be close enough, if you don't have much protected content. I assume the Surface runs WIn 8.1, correct? If it's the Pro version, you can simply buy the WMC add-on and share your Recorded TV folder. If you have network tuners, those can be accessed as well. So there you have live and recorded TV (unprotected of course).

Ceton claims they are developing something, be we don't know what. Silicon Dust really is developing something though, that if it works as promised, can replace WMC in every respect.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:14 pm

Well, Silicon Dust claims that are developing something. That's all we know.

Oh--plus the fact that they took hundreds of thousands of dollars from the hungry public by claiming that they're developing something.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Sun Jun 07, 2015 11:52 pm

The main issue with surface pro 3 & WMC is that SP3 uses eDisplay Port which will cause issues with HDCP.

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jun 10, 2015 4:00 pm

kc0072 wrote:Please tell me there is an app or program to allow the MS surface to act as an extender so I can watch live and recorded tv on it. either in the works or already available?

and while I am at it, is Ceton developing an application so we can upgrade to windows 10 and still watch live tv?

Sorry if this is posted in the wrong spot :D
From the days of Windows Vista, one of the largest requests for WMC was called "Softsled" (this was when the ehome team was active and building WMC)and this was about using a Windows computer as a Extender. It is known, that WMC extenders are based of the RDP protocol (Remote desktop but, a highly modified version of it) but, due to the secure channels used for TV (cablecards, etc), Microsoft refused to make something for this use. Trust me, I requested it to the hill. A lot of people tried to create one but with little success.

Now if you have a Ceton Infinty 6 tuner, you can SHARE tuners from a pool and install the software on your tablet. This would allow you to watch TV live on your tablet over your local Wi-Fi with WMC, then you COULD share out the drive with recorded tv and map out a drive on your tablet then set WMC to watch that folder. As this would work, it's a little slughish to show tv shows and if they are DRM protected, you wont be able to watch them on your tablet.

I have used Teamviewer to connect to my WMC machine, and you can watch live and record tv from it but, you better have a dam good Wi-Fi network, I found live TV choppy and recorded tv the same but, I have been able to play 480i/720p videos with out a problem over it. It might be worth checking out

It's about as close as you can get.
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Jun 10, 2015 8:49 pm

^ We may have a new record. That is the first time somebody mentioned Softsled in a while.

We have gone 0 days without mentioning Softsled, to date. :P

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Wed Jun 10, 2015 11:43 pm

mcewinter wrote:^ We may have a new record. That is the first time somebody mentioned Softsled in a while.

We have gone 0 days without mentioning Softsled, to date. :P
LOL ! :)

Yea, remember I was a MVP and beta tester, so trust me, I have seen TONS of requests, I will never forget that one as I was one who was almost demanding it but, failed !
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012