Windows Media Center Will Not Record Due to Restrictions

anadelman

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows Media Center Will Not Record Due to Restrictions

Post by anadelman » Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:28 pm

As of this past Wednesday, I am unable to record anything from my local NBC or CBS affiliates on FiOS due to restrictions. I'm sure this is an error, but don't know what to do.

Any help would be appreciated.

I am on a Windows 7 Pro system with a Ceton InfiniTV4PCIe card. I've been running WMC since it was first released, and seen this problem one other time. But as I recall, it went away as quickly as it showed up.

Thanks.

bill172

Post by bill172 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 6:43 pm

I am also having the issue but only with the local NBC station. I am on FIOS as well, and using the same Ceton card, and it started around the same time. I called Verizon and they had no answers. They sent me a new cable card but that did not resolve the issue. I checked my neighbors STB as they are also on FIOS and it recorded NBC fine. I guess another call to Verizon is in order.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 7:56 pm

Go into your Tuner page.

Click on Tuner. Punch in the channel you are having trouble with. Mine is on 1830.

Then click on Status.

What does yours say beside Copy Protection? Mine says "One Copy" (0X02)

If your says: 0x03 - Copy Never, Your cable company might have mistakenly set the flag for the channel wrong. As I recall NBC sould be Copy Freely.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Copy_Control_Information
Attachments
TunerStatus002.JPG
TunerStatus001.JPG

bill172

Post by bill172 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:26 pm

Mine is copy never on both the SD NBC as well as the HD feed.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jun 06, 2015 10:40 pm

I thought that the FCC requires the cable company to broadcast NBC copy freely. As well as ABC and a couple others.

http://forums.verizon.com/t5/FiOS-TV-Te ... d-p/107729

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/26-home-t ... ecord.html

Give these guys a call on Monday.....

https://www.fcc.gov/leadership

hillmb

Post by hillmb » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:20 pm

I'm in the Tampa, FL area and also having this issue on Verizon FIOS with NBC, Ceton InfiniTV 4 tuner with Win 7 Media Center. For both the SD and HD channels, I'm seeing copy protection status of:

Copy Generation Management System - Analog: "Copy Never" (0x03)

Checked the CBS channels for SD and HD, and not seeing any issue there - says None for copy protection.

Tried calling Verizon but they were pretty much useless. First tried to tell me that its an issue with Tivo or whoever is providing my equipment. After I insisted that it was not and that other channels work fine and that NBC is a broadcast station which should not have this protection, he stated that the broadcaster has added these restrictions themselves and that Verizon cannot do anything as far as changing it.

Found this old topic searching:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =13&t=5023

Reading that, seems like its a cable company issue (as opposed to what Verizon support told me). There's also a post on page 2 of that thread saying that the CableLabs spec doesn't require equipment not sold to end users to honor copy protection flags. Sounds like that would be why the Verizon STBs seem to be unaffected.

RyC

Post by RyC » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:00 pm

Did you try updating to the latest beta infiniTV firmware? It should get rid of all the CGMS protections

anadelman

Post by anadelman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:22 pm

I, too, am Verizon/Tampa. My card is reporting that I have the latest software.

anadelman

Post by anadelman » Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:55 pm

I was able to install the new beta driver that ignores the Copy Never, and it has resolved the issue.

I had missed that Ceton had responded to my ticket last Thursday! I had to miss the horse race AND the Stanley Cup because I couldn't record them.

Now I'm fixed!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Jun 08, 2015 7:39 pm

anadelman wrote: I had to miss the horse race AND the Stanley Cup
Head towards Amalie if Game 5, 6, or 7 looks like a win. You will be part of the most amazing party you have ever seen in your life.

hillmb

Post by hillmb » Mon Jun 08, 2015 8:18 pm

Thats great news the beta driver resolved it - I will try as well. I think I found the link to it on another post, is this the latest one?
ceton_infinitv_beta_fw_15_1_13_152.IMAGE

Thanks!

ericaheitke

Post by ericaheitke » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:53 am

So I'm near Tampa and having the issue of NBC not recording on WMC because of the broadcast bit is set to copy never. So I tried to do the beta update, but my Ceton device failed to save the firmware and won't update, so this fix isn't working for me unfortunately. I tried contacting the station to see if they would fix it. Any other work around ideas? Thanks!

anadelman

Post by anadelman » Sat Jun 13, 2015 3:06 pm

Contact Ceton about the firmware issue. It did fix my problem in Tampa Bay.

Zurchi

Post by Zurchi » Fri Jun 19, 2015 2:24 pm

ericaheitke wrote:So I'm near Tampa and having the issue of NBC not recording on WMC because of the broadcast bit is set to copy never. So I tried to do the beta update, but my Ceton device failed to save the firmware and won't update, so this fix isn't working for me unfortunately. I tried contacting the station to see if they would fix it. Any other work around ideas? Thanks!
I also own a Infini TV 4 and had the same issue as you. This is because the Ceton V4 is a P.o.S. and the firmware chip in it has a known issue that you only get a certain # of writes. Guess what, you can never update your firmware on that card ever again and Ceton won't do ANYTHING to fix it. I contacted support 2 weeks ago and they told me that i was out of luck and offered me a refurbished PCI v 6 for 170 bucks. No fix, no 25 dollar refirmware flash, just a phat 170 out of my pocket. So I caved and took the deal and now my NBC records perfectly with the new updated firmware and a PCI v6.

Sucks but they refuse to accept that the issue is with their card and chips, and blame it on us. :(