MS Updates To Avoid?

JWA

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by JWA » Thu Jun 04, 2015 9:46 am

This all gets more and more curious, funny in the sorta scary way...........

After finding and deleting the Win 10 notice I almost immediately get an "important update" notification in system tray----it was the same two updates I'd just deleted. :)

A few weeks ago I changed my auto update preferences to be notified only when something is available. From here on out I'll check each one out before its allowed in.

That's interesting that Win 10 might be slowly being added whether we want it or not. I would have liked to view the program in the link above but it has a running time of 2+ hours?

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:09 am

JWA wrote:After finding and deleting the Win 10 notice I almost immediately get an "important update" notification in system tray----it was the same two updates I'd just deleted.
Right-click on the updates and select "hide update".
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

JWA

Post by JWA » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:29 am

Scallica wrote: Right-click on the updates and select "hide update".
Already done but thanks for the reminder!

I wonder what other insidious sneaky ways will the Win 10 update try to find its way into my Win 7 'puter?

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:35 am

JWA wrote:This all gets more and more curious, funny in the sorta scary way...........

That's interesting that Win 10 might be slowly being added whether we want it or not. I would have liked to view the program in the link above but it has a running time of 2+ hours?

yes is always too long. too much banter. but I always listen when doing something else. Is the first 30 mins or so that specially about the tray button. That program some times usefull if u want to know whats happening in the Windows world as these 2 people seem to know whats a foot, this one the implications of installing windows 10

quote "its an offer you cant refuse" ie no way to say no.

by the way I listen to it thru the podcast plugin in media browser addon in MC - that allows u to stop it and when u start again will resume so dont need to listen all in one go

JWA

Post by JWA » Thu Jun 04, 2015 12:20 pm

It just now occurs to me I have a download manager thingy---could take it in and FF to the more pertinent facts and needs-to-know. :)

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 1:25 pm

A few of us dissected the update thing awhile back. Try turning off the update service.

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 751#p69751

The net command can turn it back on, or you can use the gui.
Attachments
UpdatesOffOn.jpg
UpdatesOff.jpg

poit57

Post by poit57 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:05 pm

Other than the notification of the free Windows 10 upgrade that will remove WMC after it is installed, are there actually updates that WMC users are recommended to avoid?

I upgraded my media center PC to Windows 8 at launch and have kept it up to date ever since. My computer runs with much more stability than it ever did on Windows 7, and I haven't had any issues with WMC on Windows 8 or 8.1. I'm just curious what kind of issues people are seeing that are leading them to uninstall or hide specific updates.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Jun 04, 2015 7:28 pm

KB3004394 broke playback of protected content. Other updates have broken my video driver, broken my RDP hack, broken extender connectivity, etc.

Having said that, I still auto update, but am prepared to roll back or uninstall when problems arise. Solutions usually appear in this forum pretty quickly, as it did for the Win 10 nag update.

What kind of tuners and extenders do you have? Do you have any protected content? Maybe that's why you seem to be immune to update issues.

poit57

Post by poit57 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:38 pm

mdavej wrote:KB3004394 broke playback of protected content. Other updates have broken my video driver, broken my RDP hack, broken extender connectivity, etc.

Having said that, I still auto update, but am prepared to roll back or uninstall when problems arise. Solutions usually appear in this forum pretty quickly, as it did for the Win 10 nag update.

What kind of tuners and extenders do you have? Do you have any protected content? Maybe that's why you seem to be immune to update issues.
I'm not using any extenders, just a PC connected to my TV. I have an HDHR Prime with cablecard, and all nearly cable networks are protected by my cable provider. The only copy freely channels are local broadcast, a few shopping networks, and CSPAN. I don't remember running into any issues with protected content, and I've been using the cablecard tuner since before Windows 8 was released. I'm not sure why I didn't run into any issues unless I happened to be out of town when the offending update was released.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jun 04, 2015 11:47 pm

I have updates turned off, however, whatever MS deems as a critical update do get through. I never bothered to find out what an update broke, when I notice my HTPC is running bad, I just revert back to a System Image for a quick fix.

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Sun Jun 07, 2015 8:20 am

JWA wrote:
This morning when I started up my desktop PC, I got the "Configuring updates do not turn off..." message then after a long long time "Cleaning up" before I could eventually login! I was very suspiscious since it is some while since I installed any updates (25-May) and anyway I have updates set to manual. Automatic updates are still set to never and the update history shows nothing since May 25. Is this the Win 10 force feed? Anyone else seen this? :wtf:

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:14 pm

i think the gradual download of w10 applies when u click the reservation button - thats your agreement to let it happen? i wish there was a capacity to tell ms to buzz off. By he way windows 10 users will in general no longer be able to put off accepting updates - you get the lot whether you like it or not!. One good reason to not to update to W10. The best way to get it is to first image your current installation make sure the image works, put it some where very safe, make sure you have a restore disk then get W10 see if its any good ( for non media center pcs)

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Sun Jun 07, 2015 4:53 pm

Well I certainly have not clicked anything regarding Win 10! I have not been promted to reserve a copy either though I did install the optional updates. :eh:

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Sun Jun 07, 2015 5:56 pm

well if u installed the updates metntioned above about extending the update capacity of windows ( hehe what a nice way to say it ) then u may wake up one morning to windows 10 .....lol or wonder why your C drive has lost 3 GB of space ...

JWA

Post by JWA » Mon Jun 08, 2015 10:10 am

joecrow wrote:
This morning when I started up my desktop PC, I got the "Configuring updates do not turn off..." message then after a long long time "Cleaning up" before I could eventually login! I was very suspiscious since it is some while since I installed any updates (25-May) and anyway I have updates set to manual. Automatic updates are still set to never and the update history shows nothing since May 25. Is this the Win 10 force feed? Anyone else seen this? :what the heck:
If by "cleaning up" you mean MS Security Essentials had found something and quarantined it I had this several days ago. After a Malware Bytes, SuperAntivirus and full Security Essentials scan found a potential threat, appeared to be a browser modifier. It was successfully found and deleted but nothing else since, no known or observable issues----------so far.

As for the Windows update after deleting those already discussed here I get update notices every time I boot up, nagging me to re-install the same two I just deleted. Of course they're classified as "important". ;)

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:28 am

JWA wrote:
joecrow wrote:
This morning when I started up my desktop PC, I got the "Configuring updates do not turn off..." message then after a long long time "Cleaning up" before I could eventually login! I was very suspiscious since it is some while since I installed any updates (25-May) and anyway I have updates set to manual. Automatic updates are still set to never and the update history shows nothing since May 25. Is this the Win 10 force feed? Anyone else seen this? :what the heck:
If by "cleaning up" you mean MS Security Essentials had found something and quarantined it I had this several days ago. After a Malware Bytes, SuperAntivirus and full Security Essentials scan found a potential threat, appeared to be a browser modifier. It was successfully found and deleted but nothing else since, no known or observable issues----------so far.

As for the Windows update after deleting those already discussed here I get update notices every time I boot up, nagging me to re-install the same two I just deleted. Of course they're classified as "important". ;)
The cleaning up I referred to is I believe part of the update procedure which appears sometimes I still have no idea what went on there, hence my post to see if anyone else had seen a similar situation.. I do not have MS SE installed, this my desktop and consequently I choose to use something with more power. Regarding the updates I have not uninstalled them but neither did I get the Get Windows 10 icon on the task bar. I have subsequently followed the troubleshooting process on the MS forum and after running a procedure I now have it. Again since this is my desktop PC I typically only run MCE to check out any new apps etc. before going live on my HTPC so it hasn't had much use for some while! I am pleasantly surpised by the offer of a free version of Win 10 and not wishing to look a gift horse in the mouth have reserved a copy! Will also do the same for my HTPC even though I am very unlikley to use it, you never know :think:

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Mon Jun 08, 2015 2:54 pm

well joecrow I hope you have a backup image of your HTPC/other pc? as it seems that accepting the reservation will load windows 10 onto it from some unknown date a bit at a time until July 29 when it all goes active? and MC will be deleted at some stage. Like you I will get hold of windows 10 but not before I have imaged my pc's and have a restore cd to put it all back. I hear that MC runs fine under windows 10 ( Paul Thurrot ) so maybe some clever person could extract it from windows 8 and do us all a favour and one in the eye for MS for treating some of its fans this way? would be funny for MS to get messages from MC/windows 10 requests for epg data lol

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Mon Jun 08, 2015 3:48 pm

mercalia wrote:well joecrow I hope you have a backup image of your HTPC/other PC? as it seems that accepting the reservation will load windows 10 onto it from some unknown date a bit at a time until July 29 when it all goes active? and MC will be deleted at some stage. Like you I will get hold of windows 10 but not before I have imaged my PC's and have a restore cd to put it all back. I hear that MC runs fine under windows 10 ( Paul Thurrot ) so maybe some clever person could extract it from windows 8 and do us all a favour and one in the eye for MS for treating some of its fans this way? would be funny for MS to get messages from MC/windows 10 requests for epg data lol
My understanding and I'm for sure open to correction, is as you say Win 10 will be downloaded automatically prior to the activation date of July 29th but I will have to action the actual install at some point on or after that date with a time limit of one year. I have not checked up whether it is possible to retain the old OS and run a dual bootable system but that is usually an option, Regardless I do take regular image backups. I do not think MS are going to delete my current OS and MCE without my involvement.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Mon Jun 08, 2015 4:15 pm

I understand that you need an extra 3 GB of hard disc space for the download. - I wouldnt want to have that space taken on an installation I wanted to keep unless I could easily remove it. iI think I heard that it will be possible to roll back to the previous os. I get the impression MS have been very coy about what will happen with people left to guess. Since MS wants to move every one to window 10 I wouldnt be surprised if they prevented a dual boot, seeing as though its free and in future you have to accept all updates, doesnt sound like a very accomodating stance?

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Mon Jun 08, 2015 5:01 pm

mercalia wrote:I understand that you need an extra 3 GB of hard disc space for the download. - I wouldnt want to have that space taken on an installation I wanted to keep unless I could easily remove it. iI think I heard that it will be possible to roll back to the previous os. I get the impression MS have been very coy about what will happen with people left to guess. Since MS wants to move every one to window 10 I wouldnt be surprised if they prevented a dual boot, seeing as though its free and in future you have to accept all updates, doesnt sound like a very accomodating stance?
Not sure I understand your problem here. Even on my Win 7 HTPC with a 60GB SSD an extra 3 GB is no big deal, on my Desktop it is absolute peanuts, it is less than most DVDs and if the install is not required/never actioned I'm sure it will be possible to delete it. The situation with updates concerns me somewhat, whenever I have had automatic updates enabled they invariably kick in when I want to do a quick restart and end up having to hang arround for ages :x , hopefully options for controlling when to update will still be available.