Windows Updates?

mceguy...

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mceguy... » Sun Jun 14, 2015 1:19 am

Personally I think your insane for NOT updating the "high priority" updates, I've never had any problems with those, but the "not so" important list is what you need to be careful with if it has anything to do with your driver software... you can always cure it by going to the manufactures website and downloading their version of the driver and it fixes everything up...

JWA

Post by JWA » Sun Jun 14, 2015 10:29 am

mceguy... wrote:Personally I think your insane for NOT updating the "high priority" updates, I've never had any problems with those, but the "not so" important list is what you need to be careful with if it has anything to do with your driver software... you can always cure it by going to the manufactures website and downloading their version of the driver and it fixes everything up...
What exactly is the downside not installing any updates on a machine running perfectly to-task as is? If its never online and by "never" I mean never never never never EVER EVER then what updates help in that situation?

If/when I need driver updates or there's a newer version of a HTPC-related function or program I download and save it to a USB flash drive from a updated and AV-protected machine then export it to the never online PC--seems to work just fine. In fact I've purchased and registered a complete version of Video ReDo from one PC then moved it to my "media center" PC----works perfectly.

joecrow

Post by joecrow » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:35 pm

JWA wrote: What exactly is the downside not installing any updates on a machine running perfectly to-task as is?
Oh no that is terrible you won't be able to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10 :shock:

LOL

DavidinCT

Post by DavidinCT » Sun Jun 14, 2015 7:10 pm

JWA wrote:
mceguy... wrote:Personally I think your insane for NOT updating the "high priority" updates, I've never had any problems with those, but the "not so" important list is what you need to be careful with if it has anything to do with your driver software... you can always cure it by going to the manufactures website and downloading their version of the driver and it fixes everything up...
What exactly is the downside not installing any updates on a machine running perfectly to-task as is? If its never online and by "never" I mean never never never never EVER EVER then what updates help in that situation?

If/when I need driver updates or there's a newer version of a HTPC-related function or program I download and save it to a USB flash drive from a updated and AV-protected machine then export it to the never online PC--seems to work just fine. In fact I've purchased and registered a complete version of Video ReDo from one PC then moved it to my "media center" PC----works perfectly.
There is nothing wrong with it at all. If this is the way you use your HTPC. And you should be able to get guide data to work if you wanted, although you would have to manually copy over data every week or so.

I know it can be done, how ? just off the top of my head, not sure (setup WMC on another machine so It pulls down guide updates, and there is a few files you can copy over and restart WMC).

My HTPC is on the internet but, locked behind a good firewall, ONLY used for Windows Media Center (or apps for WMC) and Updates ARE DISABLED and there is no longer Anti-virus software on it. I just don't see the need for a machine that is treated like an appliance.

Crazy, maybe but, about 2-3 months ago one update came down that caused havoc with DRM on the machine and there was some other cases where other programs just BROKE after installing update (WMC is not just WMC, there are a lot of scripts, 3rd party software, codecs, drivers to make it all work seamlessly). It seem every few months there is an issue with an update that causes some problem or another (sometimes very minor, sometimes blue-screen enabling/WMC crashing updates).

It runs so much better and I am not prompted to reboot every so often. Do this at your own risk though, not suggesting it to anyone, it's just the way I prefer to run MY system.
joecrow wrote:
JWA wrote: What exactly is the downside not installing any updates on a machine running perfectly to-task as is?
Oh no that is terrible you won't be able to reserve your free upgrade to Windows 10 :shock:

LOL
And that is really the end of the world to a Windows Media Center user :-\
-Dave
Twitter @TheCoolDave

Windows Media Center certified and WMC MVP 2010 - 2012

STC

Post by STC » Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:20 pm

My HTPC is just a DVR and it has everything it needs to work without antivirus getting in the way or further updates messing something up. It's operated like this for many years.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Mon Jun 15, 2015 8:56 pm

I think compatability updates maybe worth getting. I use the Antec Basic IR control box that inserts into a spare bay and hooks into the mb hardware, and uses iMon control software ( allows u to program what key sequences the remote control buttons perfom ) I get the impression this has become more stable over time due to the "Rolllup" updates. By the way this device is probably the closest you can get to turning a windows pc into just a set top box. Otherwise I totally agree - if it is all working let it be. For tv it only has to contact MS for epg updates. But I also run a program that downloads film posters and details to flesh out the other wise stark MC - this does need to contact the internet and does some time need to be updated ( Media Center Master I think it is called ) What with the (old) windows 7 version of Media Browser thats all I have intalled. SHows how stable Windows can be if you dont fill it with junk?

JWA

Post by JWA » Tue Jun 16, 2015 10:20 am

mercalia wrote:I think compatability updates maybe worth getting..........SHows how stable Windows can be if you dont fill it with junk?
For the foreseeable future I don't anticipate adding anything more to my current set up. Sure there might be an NAS only for additional storage space but the hardware seems to be doing exactly as I need.

However I can see the day when my Hauppauge PVR-2250's are replaced with SiliconeDust's CONNECT tuners----that may require temporary connection to the 'net however I'll explore every alternative installation method first, only connecting if there is no other way to properly install the SD hardware.

As for Windows stability----it does seem to be very much so, the many updates necessary when used as an internet machine being the bigger cause of performance and compatibility issues.