Pixelation in live TV on 360 extenders

chillzatl

HTPC Specs: Show details

Pixelation in live TV on 360 extenders

Post by chillzatl » Fri Mar 06, 2015 9:21 pm

hi all,

I've got a weird pixilation problem in live TV. I will randomly get bands of pixilation artifacts on the lower half of the screen. It lasts for maybe a second and goes away. There is no real pattern to when it happens, either by channel or frequency. Sometimes I can watch channels for long periods and not see it and other times it happens regularly through the course of watching a show. My setup is as follows:

HD Homerun Prime
i7 host server, 512gb SSD, 8gb ram, intel proset gb nic, 6tb Raid 5 (7 1tb drives) array for storage.
16 port Dell Powerconnect Gigabit switch
4 x Xbox 360 extenders
Mediabrowser Classic and a variety of clients that connect to it (roku, ipad app, windows 8, etc).

This happens on all extenders and is originating at the host. My host server is headless, but the artifacts are also in recordings. I can connect directly to my HD Homerun Prime from various clients and have not experienced the artifacts. I can stream full 1080 bluray rips directly from the host without any issues. I have no packet loss issues on the network.

I had asked about this some time ago on AVS forum and someone had mentioned it being a UDP issue. At the time I was using a Trendnet unmanaged Gb switch and thought that perhaps this was the issue. I have recently switched that out for the Dell powerconnect and for the first week or so I never noticed the issue, but over the last few days it has returned. I have previously tried enabling and disabling flow control settings on the nic (enabled by default) and with those things disabled it was completely unusable. I have also tried a USB 100mb nic and with this nic I had no issues for several weeks, but this irks me and I can't seem to let it go. I want my Gb speeds!

So anyone ever experienced this? Any particular settings that I might change on the nic that would impact this? Thanks!

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 8:19 pm

You have done a lot of eliminating. It can't be this, and it can't be that. About the only thing left, is the signal from the cable company.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Thu Mar 12, 2015 9:52 pm

does the ceton signals code work with other tuners?

TeddyR

Post by TeddyR » Thu Mar 12, 2015 11:57 pm

In the Ethernet drivers also turn off EEE/Green Ethernet. I have seen it cause MANY "strange" issues with UDP traffic which is what is being sent from the Prime to the MediaCenter. The connection from the prime to the PS3 is via TCP; or when using http it is also using TCP.

In some cases for the intel drivers there have been several fixes/updates as well; you may need to install the one from Intel since the one from MS or the board maker (even if the board is an intel board, the driver on the board page) may not be the best one.. For win7: https://downloadcenter.intel.com/downlo ... Windows-7-

The readme on the fixes is at: http://downloadmirror.intel.com/18713/eng/readme.txt

EEE can be turned off on the NIC settings or on the switch (or both).

On some Dells the commands should be something like:

Code: Select all

console> enable
 console# config
 console(config)# no eee enable
 console(config)# exit
 console# copy running-config startup-config
Time is on my side.