Guide Download Issues Thread - March 2015

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
IownFIVEechos

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by IownFIVEechos » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:22 pm

Day Light Savings Time in Europe is March 29th I believe. The system is probably hosed on that date for something to do with that. At least that is my guess. They always fix it. But Eric is a Ceton guy who seems to always come through for us here. So can you do your magic again Eric? Thanks in advance.

Fios has many free previews these coming weeks! I only noticed mine was broke when I started looking up the recordings.

maize1951

Post by maize1951 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 3:51 pm

Maybe I will try by the end of the day and roll back the time by one hour and then do an manual update and see what happens, but I don't know if it will work or not.

davidhp

Post by davidhp » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:28 pm

Don't think this has anything to do with day light savings as March 8th was the date for it in the states and this was not a problem then. This is Microsoft not paying attention to the EPG updates and ignoring the fact that it is not working correctly. It has to do with Microsoft not caring about their customers.

captain_video

Post by captain_video » Mon Mar 23, 2015 4:59 pm

My guide data also ends on the 28th. Zip code 21043.

vir2oso

Post by vir2oso » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:03 pm

Mine also ends on March 28th. Has anyone gone through setting up the TV signal again to see if that refreshes the guide data?

maize1951

Post by maize1951 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:08 pm

Barb Bowman the community moderator from Micro$oft Community says "I've received confirmation from a Microsoft source that they are now looking into the EPG issue". Maybe they will have it fixed by the end of the day, although I really wonder what the problem is. Perhaps old servers that have to manually be set to correct time, as when I used to work at Menard's we used to have old servers in the front of the store that had to be set up manually to the correct time every time an time change (DST) came up, the new servers that replaced them are now fully automatic when it comes to the time changing.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:23 pm

FYI I reached out to MS and they let me know they are aware of the issue and have already taken steps to resolve it, however it will take a little time to sort itself out.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:30 pm

erkotz wrote:FYI I reached out to MS and they let me know they are aware of the issue and have already taken steps to resolve it, however it will take a little time to sort itself out.
Thanks again! I knew you could do it. But how come we never get an explanation? Top secret?

Space

Post by Space » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:31 pm

maize1951 wrote:Barb Bowman the community moderator from Micro$oft Community says "I've received confirmation from a Microsoft source that they are now looking into the EPG issue". Maybe they will have it fixed by the end of the day, although I really wonder what the problem is. Perhaps old servers that have to manually be set to correct time, as when I used to work at Menard's we used to have old servers in the front of the store that had to be set up manually to the correct time every time an time change (DST) came up, the new servers that replaced them are now fully automatic when it comes to the time changing.
Thanks for the update!

References:
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 0e9d177b62
http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... 11dc3a3207
Last edited by Space on Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:31 pm

I usually get an explanation, but I'm unclear if I'm allowed to share it (and it's ultimately unimportant) so I don't want to share it and anger people.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:33 pm

erkotz wrote:I usually get an explanation, but I'm unclear if I'm allowed to share it (and it's ultimately unimportant) so I don't want to share it and anger people.
Ok good enough, but people are already angry :) I just want my movies to record :clap:

Space

Post by Space » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:33 pm

erkotz wrote:I usually get an explanation, but I'm unclear if I'm allowed to share it (and it's ultimately unimportant) so I don't want to share it and anger people.
Anger people? I guess that means it was something stupid... :-)

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:35 pm

Space wrote:
Err anger people at MS - I don't want to share info I wasn't supposed to share.

maize1951

Post by maize1951 » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:40 pm

erkotz wrote:
Space wrote:
Probably something very embarrassing like I mentioned in my previous post. I also forgot to mention the Menard's store servers also used MS-DOS (now Linux) until about five years ago and found out nobody no longer wanted to work on them (MS-DOS system)! LOL
Last edited by maize1951 on Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:56 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:42 pm

erkotz wrote:
Space wrote:
Ahhh, got ya. Do you know if they have a system in place to automatically detect when this sort of thing happens (and notify someone) or do they rely solely on their flawed and frustrating system of customer notification/complaints(and of course you contacting them directly :-) )?
Last edited by Space on Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:43 pm

Space wrote:Ahhh, got ya. Do you know if they have a system in place to automatically detect when this sort of thing happens (and notify someone) or do they rely solely on their flawed and frustrating system of customer reports (and of course you contacting them directly :-)?
I know they were aware of the issue before I contacted them. I don't know the specifics of how.

Space

Post by Space » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:46 pm

I really wish that Microsoft had a better feedback mechanism to let their customer's know when they are aware and working on a problem. The most frustrating thing about these outages is that we have no idea if they even know about it.

prje

Post by prje » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:22 pm

erkotz wrote:FYI I reached out to MS and they let me know they are aware of the issue and have already taken steps to resolve it, however it will take a little time to sort itself out.
Thank you Eric!

webminster

Post by webminster » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:33 pm

Ditto thanks Eric. One interesting thing to know is if they only figured it out internally, or whether any of the half-dozen ways people tried to get their attention worked. If one did, sure would like to know the comm channel that does work. If not, at least we know trying to contact them is futile.
-Alan

webminster

Post by webminster » Mon Mar 23, 2015 7:42 pm

No changes yet, but way to early to expect a miracle yet I'd suppose.
-Alan