Remote control depressing SHIFT, CTRL, ALT and other keys

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
mdavej

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by mdavej » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:02 am

Also not possible given my understanding of the Pi. There are too many pieces missing for this to make any sense.

Edit: Looks like Openelec has pulse eight libraries and can indeed do CEC. What's going on with your WMC system is still a mystery.

matthers

Post by matthers » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:18 am

So is it not possible to install libCEC libraries on Windows then and get CEC functionality? The fact is, my TV IR remote is affecting my WMC

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:49 am

matthers wrote:So is it not possible to install libCEC libraries on Windows then and get CEC functionality? The fact is, my TV IR remote is affecting my WMC
What if you removed the raspberry Pi and test the Samsung remote volume again. Does the tv screw your wmc keyboard now?

matthers

Post by matthers » Sat Feb 21, 2015 9:52 am

The Raspberry Pi gives me XBMC on the older non smart Samsung 40". Its the HTPC which I have connected into the HDMI-in on the Onkyo amp, and the HDMI-out goes out of there into the Samsung smart 55" which is where the problem is. Using the RC for this TV then sends the volume up or down command to the amp and the amp increases its volume. This feeds back to the TV with the on-screen display of the volume changing on the amp. Sometimes, as a side effect, the shift,ctrl,alt and windows keys sometimes get stuck into a depressed position during this process.

Off topic, well only slightly, i also have a recurring issue when Media Center is in full screen. The up and down keys on the MC remote stop working. If I take it out of full screen mode, pull up the on screen keyboard, I can see nothing is pressed down. Clicking shift on the OSK to enable it and clicking it again to disable it, then going back into Media Center all starts working again. Physically hitting the shift key on the actual keyboard prior to this does nothing. Weird...

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 3:38 pm

I know you have explained how everything is connected, I'm having a hard time picturing your system from bits and pieces of a half dozen posts. Was wondering if you could help us out a bit by connecting the dots. I would not be offended if you prefer to make your own. color coding would be nice.
Attachments
GyrationRemoteRF003.jpg

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:21 pm

matthers wrote: I use the ReLaunch tool to fire up certain URLs into Chrome from the MC interface. Was just on a webpage, changed to TV remote profile and hit volume up. LSHIFT, LCTRL, LALT, Windows Key, RSHIFT, RALT, RCTRL all became completely locked down.
What does "changed to TV remote profile" mean?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:01 pm

I assume it means pressing the TV "device" button on the harmony remote. It has TV / AUX buttons etc... depending on which device you want to control.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:09 pm

holidayboy wrote:I assume it means pressing the TV "device" button on the harmony remote. It has TV / AUX buttons etc... depending on which device you want to control.
He doesn't have a Harmony remote. In TV mode, his remote would send IR, I assume, which can't possible affect his PC.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 5:27 pm

I don't think the WMC keyboard was specified anywhere in the post. And since the problem shows on the KB, how is it connected? IR, RF, Wifi, Wired, ps2, USB, something different?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 6:30 pm

Crash2009 wrote:I don't think the WMC keyboard was specified anywhere in the post. And since the problem shows on the KB, how is it connected? IR, RF, Wifi, Wired, ps2, USB, something different?
Thanks Rob, Did you underline that so I could see it?

post 1 says its an on screen keyboard.
post 3 says it's RF Gyration keyboard

How many languages do you have installed on the kb?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Feb 21, 2015 7:58 pm

mdavej wrote:
holidayboy wrote:I assume it means pressing the TV "device" button on the harmony remote. It has TV / AUX buttons etc... depending on which device you want to control.
He doesn't have a Harmony remote. In TV mode, his remote would send IR, I assume, which can't possible affect his PC.
Apologies, not sure where the Harmony bit came from!
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

matthers

Post by matthers » Sat Feb 21, 2015 10:52 pm

I'm afraid I don't have enough time at the moment to draw a diagram but will try and explain again how this is set up.

There are 2 systems, unrelated other than the fact they both talk to shares on WHS2011.

System 1
Old 40" Samsung TV with Raspberry Pi connected. The RC which came with the TV is the only way I control the Pi which is running XBMC when I'm on HDMI1 which is the source where the Pi is plugged into the TV. Am guessing CEC is being used over the proprietary AnyNet+ Samsung system.

System 2
HTPC connects to Onkyo amp over HDMI
Onkyo amp connects to Samsung 55" over HDMI
RF Gyration 4101 and Gyration RF keyboard communicate to the HTPC over RF using the supplied Gyration USB dongle
The Gyration remote has a total of 4 profiles which can learn IR codes. So for example you'd select the PC profile button at the top, and all the buttons on the remote would use RF to send the commands to the HTPC. You could then switch to the TV profile on the Gyration remote, and teach the remote the IR signals which are specific for the Samsung TV allowing you to control the TV. This is just a standard universal style remote.

Now lets take the RF component out of the picture completely to avoid confusion. Today I opened Chrome on the HTPC and also brought up the on-screen keyboard (This will show what keys the PC thinks are being depressed when the issue occurs). I then disconnected the USB dongle from the back of the HTPC, picked up the generic Samsung IR remote which came with the TV and pressed volume up. After pressing volume up and down enough times I managed to trigger buttons locking down on the OSK. This without doubt removes the RF component from the equation - both the handheld remote and keyboard. I wasn't using the RF remote I was using the TV's standard IR one, and I didn't have the USB dongle plugged in either.

Underlining OSK in the first post was simply to show that I was using it to display locked down buttons.

So, an IR signal is sent into the TV, which is then sendt to the amp to turn up the volume. This then displays the Onkyo volume change on the TV (seen by the OSD). It also then appears to send a signal to the HTPC over HDMI to depress keys which are displayed on the OSK. This must be happening over CEC as there is no other explanation.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Feb 21, 2015 11:37 pm

I think you all ready know what the problem is, and you are intentionally fogging the window, in hopes that your error will not be discovered.

matthers

Post by matthers » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:07 am

Not sure i follow you crash. From starting this thread it's shown me that CEC must be at play, and disabling controls being sent from the TV to the amp has fixed the issue. (I had to re-enable this feature to see if the problem remained whilst I disconnected the USB dongle). The only intermittent issue I'm facing now is why I need to take the Media Center out of full screen and put it back in full screen to allow me to use the up and down commands in the menu system from the RF remote. This is off topic for this thread, though similarly related.

I do understand that the issue is not resolved as CEC is still managing to lock down keys on the HTPC but disabling the option on the Onkyo SR606, I have forced myself to now use volume up and down IR commands for the Onkyo which no longer causes the issue (before I was using volume up and down IR commands for the Samsung TV which got handed to the amp and then increased the volume on the amp.

I do appreciate all the responses to this, and posting about this has certainly 'unfogged' what has been happening all this time. If there's any other questions about the setup, or even further testing I can do, am happy to do this to really understand what's going on, but for now at least the key locking is no longer happening and I believe mdavej hit the mark saying that NEC1 commands between the Samsung TV and the Onkyo amp could be conflicting, and I believe this conflict is then sending CEC commands to the HTPC.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sun Feb 22, 2015 12:10 am

Try the same test with the remote right up against the TV IR window so that IR could not possibly reach any other component.

Also try just opening Chrome and the OSK, then wait a few minutes without doing anything else at all and see what happens.

Could Chrome or some Chrome add-in have some CEC capability?

EDIT: I bet it does because of Chromecast integration. Try this. Keep Chrome is closed and make sure it isn't running in the background. Then open the OSK (%windir%\system32\osk.exe) and fire away with your remote and see what happens.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:56 pm

Ok, I won't keep you in suspense any longer. Try a different keyboard on system 2.

matthers

Post by matthers » Wed Feb 25, 2015 5:09 am

Try a different keyboard?! I'm not even using a keyboard, I'm using a TV IR remote which shows (by looking at the on screen keyboard) the shift, alt, ctrl and windows keys are locking down. Have removed batteries from keyboard and even removed RF dongle from PC to rule out anything to do with RF handheld remote and RF keyboard.
Currently still seeing incorrect feedback, presumably through the TV IR receiver though yet to confirm completely, causing keys on the OSK to show they're being depressed

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:27 pm

matthers wrote:RF Gyration 4101 and Gyration RF keyboard communicate to the HTPC over RF using the supplied Gyration USB dongle
One minute you have a keyboard the next minute you don't. This is why I asked for a diagram, put the facts on paper, so you can't contradict yourself.

By the way, taking the batteries out of the keyboard will not clear the error state of the HTPC.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Feb 25, 2015 1:40 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Ok, I won't keep you in suspense any longer. Try a different keyboard on system 2.

matthers

Post by matthers » Sun Mar 01, 2015 11:36 am

Yes there is a keyboard, but having it sitting there not being used doesn't mean that's the issue, and to prove it i removed the batteries from it. I also ruled out the RF handheld remote also by using the infrared TV remote control which came with the TV to trigger the depressed keys issue, which is, the PC thinks keys are being held down on a keyboard. Yes, without a keyboard even connected. Why do I think this is whats going on? Because I'm running the program in Windows called OnScreen Keyboard which displays keys are being held down. So putting in a new keyboard ain't going to do anything cos I'm not even connecting the one i have now and still have the problem when i use the Samsung TV IR remote.