Video Error

Lyxicarn

HTPC Specs: Show details

Video Error

Post by Lyxicarn » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:32 am

Hi,

Firstly, sorry if this issues have been addressed previously, however I'm at my wits end with it and have not been able to locate it on the boards.

Running Windows 7-64 WMC with xbox 360 as extender successfully for a year now. As of 26 December 2014, I am no longer able to watch live tv on my X-box and am getting the error message "Video error - Files needed to display video are not installed or are not working correctly" and it advises me to either restart the computer or WMC or the xbox, which obviously does not work.

I have been looking at many suggestions online and have yet to find something that works. I have uninstalled and reinstalled WMC via turning windows features off. I have removed and reinstalled the extender. I've tried various sound options that have allegedly helped others but done nothing for me. I have changed nothing physically in my setup, live tv works perfectly on my pc in WMC, it's only when trying to do so on my extender that I have issues.

I checked the "Windows Update 3004394 Issues" however this is not installed on my pc. I no longer have a restore point prior to this date to try that either.

Any suggestions please?

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Thu Jan 15, 2015 2:44 pm

I had this error when first setting my system up. It was a HDCP issue with my graphics card. Is there a chance anything changed with your graphics card? I tried all he random junk online, and nothing worked or led me to it being my graphics card. It was accidentally stumbled upon. Everything worked fine on my HTPC, it just would not let me play content on the extenders. That video error continually popped up, until I swapped graphics and re ran the DCA.

If nothing changed with yours, do you have another ◦HDCP compliant card you can throw in it to test?

Run Digital Cable advisor on the extender. What do you see?

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Jan 16, 2015 10:35 pm

A lot of times this is actually an audio issue where both WMC and Windows are set to output multichannel audio. I've only ever heard of that issue on the host PC, not the extender, but it's worth a shot. Try setting the audio output in WMC to 2-channel and see if that resolves the issue.

Lyxicarn

Post by Lyxicarn » Sun Jan 18, 2015 6:48 am

Thanks for the replies. I didn't have DCA on the extender, but I do now. It reads:

Memory: Pass
Processor: Pass
Graphics: Fail - Your graphics card or driver doesn't support content protection

Which is strange as it must have at some time or other and nothing had changed. Does it mean the graphics card on the PC, or the one on the extender? I've just updated the drivers on the PC, but that has had no effect. I don't have another graphics card that I can swap in to the PC at the moment to test. Do you have any suggestions as to how we can make the graphics a pass? Is the card in the PC likely to have now failed? Or is there a setting I might need to enable? Will try some more googling to see if there's an answer somewhere in the meantime...

Sorry, I'm not as up-to-date on my tech knowledge as I once used to be! :-)

Oh, and the audio settings is one of the things I discovered on other sites, but that didn't work unfortunately!

Rainey

Post by Rainey » Sun Jan 18, 2015 7:01 am

Tell us what video card or on-board motherboard/chip you have because someone might be able to help you find the correct driver.
If not there is a hack to make DCA think it passed but of course that is a last resort.

Lyxicarn

Post by Lyxicarn » Sun Jan 18, 2015 8:39 am

OK, using AMD Radeon HD 6800 Series card...the driver I've downloaded and am now using is 14.501.1003.0.

Everything works perfectly on the PC through WMC. Video files work perfectly on the extender, only live TV and recorded TV do not work on the extender.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Jan 18, 2015 12:44 pm

Lyxicarn wrote: only live TV and recorded TV do not work on the extender.
In my case, Live and Recorded TV are the only reasons to have an extender.

I have been using Version 11/4 (8.50) on an HD6770, without issue, and without all the bloat-ware (no Catalyst nor Hydrovision) since 2012.

Try the version from Windows Update.
Attachments
Radeon6770.JPG

Lyxicarn

Post by Lyxicarn » Tue Jan 20, 2015 10:27 am

Thanks for the help - I can't find the driver you're talking about here, however I found a driver from a little later in 2011 for 6800 series and that made WMC not even start up on my HTPC, so I figure that's not a good thing.

How does the driver for my HTPC interact with the Xbox 360 and why would it make a difference? Does the Xbox have drivers for video? Could the fault lie in the Xbox instead?

I ran the digital cable advisor on the HTPC and everything is good, but when run on the xbox 360, I get the "graphics card or driver doesn't support content protection" message.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 12:28 pm

If you are referring to the driver I was suggesting, I got it from Windows Update.

Uninstall everything AMD, select delete existing driver, go to Windows Update, Microsoft will figure out the rest.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Tue Jan 20, 2015 3:20 pm

Lyxicarn wrote:I ran the digital cable advisor on the HTPC and everything is good, but when run on the xbox 360, I get the "graphics card or driver doesn't support content protection" message.

I had the same exact message and situation. I tried every "fix" and "workaround" you'll find online. Nothing worked until I purchased a new HDCP Compliant vid card. It is your vid card. If updating drivers, as Crash suggest doesn't work, your only recourse is to replace it afaik.

I would start searching out why your previously HDCP complliant vid card, would suddenly be seen as non-conpliant.
A few suggestions-

How is your Monitor/TV hooked up to the HTPC itself? Have you changed anything related to that? How about the Xbox, how is it hooked up? Any recent changes? How about your Windows Experience index scores? This thread has a link to override DCA.
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=7&t=1621

Driver issues and vid card add on issues:
http://jpd.ms/media-center-fails-dca-du ... p-failure/
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =49&t=3606

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:01 am

Lyxicarn wrote:Thanks for the help - I can't find the driver you're talking about here, however I found a driver from a little later in 2011 for 6800 series and that made WMC not even start up on my HTPC, so I figure that's not a good thing.

How does the driver for my HTPC interact with the Xbox 360 and why would it make a difference? Does the Xbox have drivers for video? Could the fault lie in the Xbox instead?

I ran the digital cable advisor on the HTPC and everything is good, but when run on the xbox 360, I get the "graphics card or driver doesn't support content protection" message.
That card appears to have better stats than my 6770. It should be compliant.
http://www.hwcompare.com/6001/radeon-hd ... n-hd-6870/
Do you have a spare power supply? Is it possible that your power supply is not providing enough power.

Another "off the wall" idea is to test the card with F u r M a r k. Maybe the demon will show his face.
http://www.ozone3d.net/benchmarks/fur/

My most Likely idea is.....it worked fine for a year maybe it's time to clean the dust bunnies out, or a slow fan and its overheating.
Attachments
HD6770-HD6800Comparison.JPG

Lyxicarn

Post by Lyxicarn » Wed Jan 21, 2015 10:59 am

Wow! So much to do, so little time! :-)

Firstly, absolutely nothing has changed in the way the media centre and extender are set up. HTPC to monitor is DVI cable. HTPC is connected to modem/router, then long cable to the xbox 360 in a different room as wi-fi is lousy. Xbox to TV is HDMI cable.

Secondly, I deleted the driver, rebooted and Windows Update installed the same driver as mentioned previously from November 2014.

Thirdly I blew out a tonne of dust from the pc.

Lastly I ran the above program, though it looks different to your screen shot and ran the benchmark with the following result:
benchmark.jpg
Which I don't really understand anyway!

Still no live tv in the lounge room via the Xbox :-(

Still to do: check out the "Driver issues and vid card add on issues", see if I have a spare power supply which I don't think I do...at least not a good enough one, and try the DCA override - if I do the last, are there any potential problems that might occur?

Thanks again for all the assistance! Nearly ready to call it quits though! :-)

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 2:22 pm

Lyxicarn wrote:Wow! So much to do, so little time! :-) ... Nearly ready to call it quits though! :-)
I've been there bud. Thanks to Crash, I've made it back from almost giving up twice now. Do you have on board graphics you can try? You've rolled back the driver, but have you ever installed the newest driver from your manufacturers website?

I have no idea what the pitfalls to the DCA trick are. I've read very little on that, just wanted to share it with you when I found it.
If you exhaust all software issues, ive read the suggestion to swap out all cables one by one. I really dont see how the system would be testing your cables, but ive read it more than one place.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:09 pm

I've had to use the DCA override in the past with certain hardware/drivers. Worked fine, no problems whatsoever.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Jan 21, 2015 3:21 pm

Anything show up in Event Viewer on or about Dec 26?
Attachments
EventViewer.JPG

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jan 22, 2015 2:19 am

After thinking about this for awhile, I think maybe you should explore Richards suggestion before going any further with mine. He's been around the block many more times than I, and I have a suspicion he might be on to something with that sound thing. It is so easy for someone to inadvertently flip a sound switch, and break the video.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:48 pm

Update DirectX http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... aspx?id=35 on the HTPC and then install the Optional Media Update on the XBOX if you haven't already. http://marketplace-origin.xbox.com/en-U ... f951377aff
Agree with Richard as well that audio issues cause that error frequently. Make sure your audio settings for Windows are set to stereo (control panel > sound) for your audio output. If you need multi-channel audio in WMC set that separately in WMC > Tasks/Settings > General > Speaker Setup. Here you can set it to 5.1/7.1 if needed. I don't know if this will help but would be worth a try. Check the Audio settings on the Extender Tasks/Settings as well to make sure they are set up correctly with the proper audio cable (HDMI) and speaker set up selected on the extender.

Additionally how are you playing sound out of the Xbox? Is the TV playing the sound or do you have any external audio devices hooked up to the Xbox,TV? Checked the Audio Settings on those devices (TV or External Audio Device ie: AVR or Soundbar?)
newfiend~

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 7:53 am

Is there an explanation why Windows sound has to be set to Stereo?

I know it works that way for me but does seem a bit confusing. Is there a "light-weight" technical reason why choosing Stereo in Windows provides DD5.1 audio?

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Fri Jan 23, 2015 1:56 pm

My understanding is, the directive was to set windows to stereo, then wmc to desired output. When inside the windows sound options, there is a radio box, automatically ticked i believe, that allows appications to take control. Thus, setting wmc to 5.1 overrides the stereo windows setting. However, OP stated early in the thread he already checked all the sound claims for this failure. I'm sure, much like me, those were the early "fixes" he found in googling, none worked, so he landed here in need of another option.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Fri Jan 23, 2015 2:13 pm

5.1 audio means that you have five speakers and a sub connected to the PC. Something like this...

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/control ... &A=details

If you have an AVR then you can pretty much leave all audio settings alone.