Echo Randomly / Mysteriously Logs Off (Event ID 112)

Talk with fellow members about Ceton's Media Center Extender.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
dooododoo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Echo Randomly / Mysteriously Logs Off (Event ID 112)

Post by dooododoo » Sun Jan 11, 2015 3:06 am

Ceton Echo will randomly log off frequently. This usually happens when navigating through the Recorded TV menu. Event Viewer logs an Event ID 112, "The Media Center Extender session was terminated because Windows Media Center exited unexpectedly." No related errors are ever logged. I do not know what is causing this (very annoying) problem.

The host Media Center PC (Win 7 x32 Ultimate) is dedicated to Media Center purposes. It only has Chrome, Spotify, VLC, and VNC installed. (VNC will installed recently and Echo log offs happened before VNC was installed.)

I have opened ticket with Ceton and I have submitted diagnostics, but I have not heard from them.

I see that others have posted about random Echo log offs, but have not seen any explanation or solutions to the problem.

What can be going on?
Attachments
IMG_2324.PNG

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:57 pm

Doesn't look very dedicated to me. Last time I checked Chrome, Spotify, VLC, and VNC, were not required.

koberhol

Post by koberhol » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:06 pm

dooododoo, I get the same error on occasion. The respone to my recent ticket from Ceton was to turn off "Recorded TV HD", which is installed on my system. ie.. There were many errors in my event log for that app. Are you also running this APP? Where I see the most common problem is when I'm watching a program and then choose to rewind. This ends up locking the unit up in "rewind" from that point on any command from the remote is ignored (except for power OFF). Once I reboot the Echo all is well again. I'd estimate the "rewind" issue occurs 20% of the time. I haven't turned "Recorded TV HD" off because I am willing to live with this issue if it actually is the problem. I'm running DVRMST with Comskip. For my situaition I think the real issue is something releated to that area of software for my paticular problem. If anyone has seen this issue and has a suggestion I'm ALL EARS :D ... I'm trying to get my HTPC robust as possible. These are the last issues I see on occasion.

To avoid confusion I should also mention that my ticket to Ceton was in reference to 2 issues. Random Echo reboots and Lock-up on Rewind.

dooododoo

Post by dooododoo » Wed Jan 28, 2015 8:03 pm

Issue is solved with NO help from Ceton support. (They lost my diagnostics dump and requested another one, but issue has been resolved meanwhile.)

I recently deleted all recordings of the show "How We Got to Now with Steven Johnson" and the random restarts have completely stopped!

I don't know why the issue has been resolved but I have some theories:
  • Perhaps the total character length crashed the extender connection. It has the longest title out of all the shows in my Recorded TV library.
  • It could be due to the sequence of character count of the title a la https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3kOs2lG2EXs. I did notice that the Ceton would log off mostly when navigating near this show. As a matter of fact, I now do believe that the random log offs started after this show has been recorded.
  • I have 2 other shows with titles that begin with the word "how." (How I Met Your Mother and How to Get Away with Murder.) Maybe the multiple shows with the same beginning word caused the random log offs.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jan 29, 2015 5:52 am

That's amazing. How did you figure it out without Ceton's help?

Good luck, hope it stays fixed. Dam computers. Sometimes they just don't follow the rules.