MCEBuddy Help

ruff_hi

HTPC Specs: Show details

MCEBuddy Help

Post by ruff_hi » Sun Jan 04, 2015 7:32 pm

I've finally managed to get my movies set up with cover art, synopsis, etc (thanks 'Collection Management' from 'My Movies'). Now I would like to get recorded TV series up and running (without ads). It seems that only *.wtv files show up under 'Recorded TV' ... so ... how ...

1) do I get MCEBuddy to output a wtv file that WMC will play?
2) or get WMC to recognize other file times for recorded TV?
3) or is there another way?

I want to keep my recorded TV and movies (recorded or ripped from DVD) separate. Can I keep DVDs separate from recorded movies (not pressing)?

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Sun Jan 04, 2015 10:22 pm

Hello,

As you already saw, the Recorded TV section only will display shows in the .wtv format. That being said, I would suggest you looking at Recorded TVHD (http://www.recordedtvhd.com), which does cost $20 for one computer. The program will help organize your movies & TV shows, that you might have in multiple file formats. The program will separate (in the app) TV shows & the season, & Movies. The one thing I do like about RTVHD, is that you don't need to have each file in it's own folder, but you do need to make sure it has enough Meta data or the file name matches what is on TheTvDB.com or MovieDB.com. You could also look at MediaBrowser

Now if you are not trying to spend any money, you could add the folder to the "Video" Media section, how ever it will only display the file name & nothing about the show & yes the video section will display other video formats

For skipping commercials, last I checked MCEBuddy does skip commercials, but it's not 100% accurate, so be prepared to have some shows that have part of the show cut out (if your plan was to process a bunch of shows to compress & remove the commercials). To solve this, I run Comskip, along with DvrMsToolbox, which will skip over the spot it believes there is a commercial, but the whole file is intact.

Media Center does recognize a lot of file formats, but you might need to install a codec. For instance I use Shark Codec (which is updated very regularly, but that doesn't mean you have to update it each time)

Last, if you wanted to manually edit out commercials or extra parts of a show & be able to compress it using H.264 WTV format, I would suggest looking at a program called VideoRedo. It's not exactly cheap ($100), but currently it's the only app that allows you to edit .WTV files (as long as your TV service provider hasn't put copy protection on the particular channel)

Hope this helps

ruff_hi

Post by ruff_hi » Tue Jan 06, 2015 2:29 pm

choliscott wrote:As you already saw, the Recorded TV section only will display shows in the .wtv format. That being said, I would suggest you looking at Recorded TVHD (http://www.recordedtvhd.com), which does cost $20 for one computer. The program will help organize your movies & TV shows, that you might have in multiple file formats. The program will separate (in the app) TV shows & the season, & Movies. The one thing I do like about RTVHD, is that you don't need to have each file in it's own folder, but you do need to make sure it has enough Meta data or the file name matches what is on TheTvDB.com or MovieDB.com. You could also look at MediaBrowser
I did try Recorded TVHD for a brief period. I may come back to this.
choliscott wrote:For skipping commercials, last I checked MCEBuddy does skip commercials, but it's not 100% accurate, so be prepared to have some shows that have part of the show cut out (if your plan was to process a bunch of shows to compress & remove the commercials). To solve this, I run Comskip, along with DvrMsToolbox, which will skip over the spot it believes there is a commercial, but the whole file is intact.
I'll see how the recorded movies that are currently being processed work out. thanks for the DMToolBox reference.
choliscott wrote:Last, if you wanted to manually edit out commercials or extra parts of a show & be able to compress it using H.264 WTV format, I would suggest looking at a program called VideoRedo. It's not exactly cheap ($100), but currently it's the only app that allows you to edit .WTV files (as long as your TV service provider hasn't put copy protection on the particular channel)
Interesting. A little manual and $ for something that I can do with a fast forward button. I will keep it in mind.
choliscott wrote:Hope this helps
It helped a lot! Thanks.

My current hurdle is getting everyone accustomed to the WMC layout, approach, new remote, etc. For now, I will stick with movies (both recorded and DVDs) in the Movies slot and recorded TV shows in their own slot. I hope that will make sense to my users. I also spotted some scripts here re identifing recorded movies - I might lift those and incorporate them into an automatic move option.

Then ...
- recorded TV shows get placed in Recorded TV (and just sit there)
- recorded movies get placed in Recorded TV and then get moved to 'Movies to be processed' foler (processed by MCEBuddy)
- MCEBuddy dumps the results into the Movies directory
- MyMovies collection db scans movies, adds artwork, info, etc

I think this will work for me (for now).

jeffbrown1966

Post by jeffbrown1966 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:04 am

ruff_hi wrote:I've finally managed to get my movies set up with cover art, synopsis, etc (thanks 'Collection Management' from 'My Movies'). Now I would like to get recorded TV series up and running (without ads). It seems that only *.wtv files show up under 'Recorded TV' ... so ... how ...

I want to keep my recorded TV and movies (recorded or ripped from DVD) separate. Can I keep DVDs separate from recorded movies (not pressing)?
Hello, I see you are trying to use Media Buddy, it is a great program I do recommend you look at media center master also together they will automatically take the commercials out and move the file to where ever you want it even store on a computer in the other room and media buddy will put it in any format you like.
check this link out, it is kind of old but it has a lot of good info that got me started and it talks about playing other formats on media center https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H8A7lNJ82AY
I would also encurage you to check our XBMC For windows it is a great program that even my wife has learned and as you know that is all that matters.. lol and you can launch it from media center and it just does everything it can even play live TV, but I alway go back to media center for that, it just works and I have tried nextpvr, mediaportal and some linix brands but I always come back.

Well let me know if I can be of any help

jeffbrown1966

Post by jeffbrown1966 » Wed Jan 07, 2015 5:22 am

ruff_hi wrote:I've finally managed to get my movies set up with cover art, synopsis, etc (thanks 'Collection Management' from 'My Movies'). Now I would like to get recorded TV series up and running (without ads). It seems that only *.wtv files show up under 'Recorded TV' ... so ... how ...

Mediabuddy has to know where you want the file to go if you do not give it a place it will just keep it where it is.
MONITOR NAME WTV
Example monitor path C:\MEDIAFILES\RECORDED TV
CONVERTION TASK MOVE WTV name given by you
PROFILE MKV what you want the file converted to
DESTINATION DIRECTORY C:\RECORDED_TV_SERIES
And it will make the directory for you with that name in that directory
you can have mediabuddy move stuff by file ext. mxv does not get cleaned just moved but wtv gets cleaned and moved here etc.
That is the easy way but I like to have everything dumped to one directory (C:\CLEANED_SHOWS, movies ,TV shows and torrent downloads and then have media center master sort it all out and it puts everything where it is meant to be add artwork and all the good stuff all without me touching it and it is all free. and comskip does great at taking commercials out.

Sammy2

Post by Sammy2 » Mon Feb 01, 2016 11:05 pm

I know this thread is old but I ran across it in my search to have shows with commercials stripped out but remain in the RecordedTV folder for access in WMC via "RecordedTV". It looks that this is not possible as I suspected.

I'm chiming in because I was under the impression that MCE Buddy uses ComSkip to skip commercials and doesn't remove them or potentially delete actual show content. Is this not correct?