Disk full issues

Acsparky@gmail.com

HTPC Specs: Show details

Disk full issues

Post by Acsparky@gmail.com » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:09 am

I run w7 and wmf on a ssd with limited space, so under the tv storage settings I use a different internal drive(E:). I just started recording a bunch of tv series and I am getting the disk full error. The files seem to be on E but my space has gone from approximately 15 gigs of space to virtually nothing in a couple days. I haven't gone thru and checked location on each file yet, but is there another setting that I am missing? Should not both livetv and recorded be using E? Is there some default location when recording? Any thoughts would be appreciated as I dig into this new problem.

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Thu Jan 01, 2015 3:46 am

How large is the drive you are recording to & how much space did you have left on it, when you started to add shows. If you are recording mainly HD, then 15 gigs can go really quick, as I'm looking at some shows I record & they take up anywhere from 4 - 10 GB for an hour show
Acsparky@gmail.com wrote:I run w7 and wmf on a ssd with limited space, so under the tv storage settings I use a different internal drive(E:). I just started recording a bunch of tv series and I am getting the disk full error. The files seem to be on E but my space has gone from approximately 15 gigs of space to virtually nothing in a couple days. I haven't gone thru and checked location on each file yet, but is there another setting that I am missing? Should not both livetv and recorded be using E? Is there some default location when recording? Any thoughts would be appreciated as I dig into this new problem.

SilverRubicon

Post by SilverRubicon » Thu Jan 01, 2015 1:07 pm

Honestly, 15 gigs is virtually nothing when it comes to recordings.

Post by 1454 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:10 pm

Acsparky@gmail.com wrote:I run w7 and wmf on a ssd with limited space, so under the tv storage settings I use a different internal drive(E:). I just started recording a bunch of tv series and I am getting the disk full error. The files seem to be on E but my space has gone from approximately 15 gigs of space to virtually nothing in a couple days. I haven't gone thru and checked location on each file yet, but is there another setting that I am missing? Should not both livetv and recorded be using E? Is there some default location when recording? Any thoughts would be appreciated as I dig into this new problem.
I have about 14 tb of storage and still run out of space. You need a bigger drive. Image

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Thu Jan 01, 2015 5:11 pm

I think the OP is saying the space on his SSD, not his recording drive (E:), ran out. As if it's not recording to drive E anymore.

Acsparky@gmail.com

Post by Acsparky@gmail.com » Sat Jan 10, 2015 1:45 am

Thanks to all for your replies and questions. I was out of town and didn't get back to this for awhile.

mdavej is correct. I have over 6TB storage for the files, but the ssd the operating system was on suddenly got sucked up. I did some cleanup and uninstalls on things not being used and freed up a couple gig. Still not sure where the extra space got taken up but the error has not reoccured since. So for now things are working.

plooger

Post by plooger » Wed Jan 14, 2015 12:05 am

Acsparky@gmail.com wrote:Still not sure where the extra space got taken up but the error has not reoccured since. So for now things are working.
I like SpaceSniffer for reviewing my disk utilization. (i.e. "Where's all my disk space gone?") WinDirStat is another option.

Note that you may need to run SpaceSniffer as an adminstrator for it to fully inspect your partitions.

Acsparky@gmail.com

Post by Acsparky@gmail.com » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:29 am

Where does the internal scraper store data? Could this be what is eating up space?

Acsparky@gmail.com

Post by Acsparky@gmail.com » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:29 am

Fyi space got eaten up again

billroden

Post by billroden » Fri Apr 01, 2016 11:37 pm

Did you ever get this resolved? I have the EXACT same issue.

UCBearcat

Post by UCBearcat » Sat Apr 02, 2016 11:53 am

I think I remember reading some place that once you change the recording drive to someplace other than the OS drive, it's possible the record buffer might stay on C:\ until after a reboot. I'm sure you've probably bounced your system more than once since the change, so I doubt this is much help to you.
Regardless, I find it difficult to believe your buffer would be able to fill 15GB. Default buffer is something like 45 minutes - so that would only be 3 to 6 GB for HD content. However, I guess it's also possible the buffer data isn't falling off automatically like it is supposed to. The default buffer location is at \Users\Public\Recorded TV\TempRec. If you changed the recording drive to another location, you should find a TempRec folder there as well.
Sorry - that's all I have to offer.

Edit: This is old news - and also probably unrelated... Double-check to make sure MS didn't auto-load the Win10 install files to your OS drive via Win Updates.
http://www.theinquirer.net/inquirer/new ... st-in-case
http://www.ibtimes.com/windows-10-downl ... ge-2093685