Xbox WMC freezes

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
tweetjj

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox WMC freezes

Post by tweetjj » Wed Dec 31, 2014 11:49 pm

Please help.

For a couple of days now, when I turn on WMC on my xbox 360, I go to recorded tv and when I try to select a show to wach, WMC freezes. I can not move. I can push the center button which will let me back out.

I log back in to WMC and I get the following error message: Connection Failure. The xbox 360 could not connect to the WMC PC. Turn your xbox 360 off then on again, then try to connect again. I do exactly that and WMC freezes again. I try to go to movies or another section of WMC. I can make a few moves, but it eventually freezes again.

On my pc in WMC, under extensions there is a image of my xbox 360, but there is a large yellow triangle with an exclamation point in the center. There is a message that says "Set up but not available"

WMC is working fine on the PC and I am able to watch my recorded shows, no problem.

I have not made any changes to my PC or my network. The pc is connected directly to my xbox, not through a router. I have tuned the network in the 360. All connections are working and fine.

I have removed and added the xbox 360 extender several times. I have reformatted the Xbox 360 hard drive. I am this close to reformatting my PC, but I would like to avoid that if I can.

Please help me to fix this problem and I will be eternally greatfull.

Thanks
Tom in Vegas

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 4:48 am

Sounds like firewall or antivirus to me. Here's a link to troubleshoot the firewall. http://windows.microsoft.com/en-US/wind ... der-device

For antivirus (AV), many of us have simply just uninstalled the AV, and now use Microsoft Security Essentials (MSE). Very determined "others" have conquered their AV software and made it work. I have read that AVG and even Norton can work..... if you have the time.....

Some hard core WMC users ride "Bareback" No AV at all.

tweetjj

Post by tweetjj » Thu Jan 01, 2015 6:43 am

Thanks for the reply.

I had a problem with the Mcaffee before. I reformatted my HD and have not had any problems till this freezing thing.

So I have been riding bareback.

Any other suggestions?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Jan 01, 2015 8:45 am

You got an update pushed down to you.

Restore to a point before this problem occurred.

To eliminate updates completely and ride totally bareback, you must disable the update service. Simply turning off Windows Update doesn't prevent "critical" updates from coming down. Only disabling the service itself will stop that.

I found that out the hard way, with a "critical" update that came down that stopped my WMC box from auto logging in. Not a good thing in a family environment.

TypeSEP3

Post by TypeSEP3 » Sun Jan 11, 2015 11:39 pm

Just wondering if you solved your problem. I have been dealing with the same issue for over a month. I have even upgraded ram and nic with no success.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Jan 17, 2015 10:31 am

TypeSEP3 wrote:Just wondering if you solved your problem. I have been dealing with the same issue for over a month. I have even upgraded ram and nic with no success.
What are the results of your Firewall and Antivirus efforts?

MikeC

Post by MikeC » Fri Jan 30, 2015 10:08 pm

It could also be a physical connection issue, at least that was my problem when I had this issue. You could have a bad line or bad ethernet jack that could be causing connection issues.