W7 Media Center crashes

chicagopaul

HTPC Specs: Show details

W7 Media Center crashes

Post by chicagopaul » Mon Dec 29, 2014 5:26 am

I've been fighting this problem for over a month and would appreciate help resolving.

While watching recorded material, my HP Media Center will randomly crash -- jumping out of the program and back to desktop. When I restart Media Center, I get the message that this is a "Microsoft error -- do I want to send notification?". I reply yes and return to the recorded material where playback resumes. This may happen 2-5 times in a 5 hour period. It happens the first time after watching recorded material for about an hour. The computer is running the DVRMSToolbox, DTBAddin1007R3, and Comskip donor version to strip commercials. I can't pinpoint when this problem started. The computer (HP Envy Desktop, 8GB RAM, I7 Intel Processor) was put into service in March 2014 and did not exhibit this problem initially.

Troubleshooting this issue, I notice that a crash is always accompanied by a "null error" in the error logs..
--------------------------------------------------
Log Name: Application
Source: CommercialSkipAddIn
Date: 12/28/2014 2:27:33 PM
Event ID: 0
Task Category: None
Level: Error
Keywords: Classic
User: N/A
Computer: KITCHEN2
Description:
User: Paul
The Current MediaExperience object is null. It should never be null during playback. This is a BUG in MediaCenter.
-------------------------------------------------
Sometimes this null error is preceded by a "system resources" error
--------------------------------------------------
(Log Name: Application
Date: 12/27/2014 3:35:37 PM
Description:
System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: An error occurred while processing the request on the server: System.Security.SecurityException: Insufficient system resources exist to complete the requested service.
--------------------------------------
Sometimes this null error is preceded by a "failure to connect" error
------------------------------------------------
Log Name: Application
Date: 12/25/2014 10:16:04 PM
Description:
System.Runtime.Remoting.RemotingException: Failed to connect to an IPC Port: The system cannot find the file specified.
---------------------------------
The other thing I notice is the number of "handles" associated with the ehshell process associated with the Media Center. The longer the media center plays recorded material, the higher it gets -- currently >100K after 5 hours. After a media center restart this parameter begins <5K.

So it seems plausible to me that a Media Center "handle leak" causes the amount of configured memory to exhaust at some point causing underlying "resource" problems -- causing the MediaExperience parameter to be "null" and triggering the errors reported above. This mechanism would also explain why I never see the problem until about an hour after starting to play recorded material.

How can I fix this?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Jan 02, 2015 2:19 pm

http://babgvant.com/Wiki/view.aspx/DVRM ... ercialSkip

Wouldn't have anything to do with comskip would it?

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Sat Jan 03, 2015 1:09 pm

chicagopaul wrote:The other thing I notice is the number of "handles" associated with the ehshell process associated with the Media Center. The longer the media center plays recorded material, the higher it gets -- currently >100K after 5 hours. After a media center restart this parameter begins <5K.
Is this thread relevant:

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... row#p79271

-- from CyberSimian in the UK