Does WMC support U-Verse

edelan

HTPC Specs: Show details

Does WMC support U-Verse

Post by edelan » Wed Dec 24, 2014 9:50 pm

I have researched this topic, but I don't really never found a solid answer.
1. Does WMC support AT&T U-Verse?
2. Does it require U-Verse equipment?
3. Is the support similar to Cable
4. What else should I know?

I run Win 7 64bit, with a Ceton 6 tuner TV card. It works wonderful. The problem is that it hooks me up to Comcast and I am sick to death with them. I have had technical and billing issues to no end, so I am ready to jump ship. :evil:

choliscott

Post by choliscott » Wed Dec 24, 2014 11:11 pm

I am pretty certain it does not. The only telecomm company that it does with is Verizon Fios

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Thu Dec 25, 2014 6:02 am

WMC does not directly interact with the MVPD's system. WMC interacts with tuners, which in turn interact with the MVPD's system. So instead of asking "Does WMC support [insert MVPD name here]?", you should be asking "Does WMC support a tuner that works with [insert MVPD name here]?" And the answer to that question for AT&T U-Verse is yes. You can use a Colossus in conjuction with a U-Verse receiver.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Dec 26, 2014 4:44 am

It's going to be a real pain. If you insist on using WMC, your Ceton tuner card, or any tuner for that matter, is useless. So you'll have to buy a Colossus (expensive) and IR blaster to control the U-verse box and be limited to one tuner at a time which you will have to also watch while doing any recordings. So the practical answer is no. If you switch to U-verse, better to forget about WMC and just rent a U-verse DVR. I expect you'll get a pretty good deal on one as a new customer. And I assume you're also willing to give up those blazing cable internet speeds. If I were you, I'd lick my wounds and try to work something out with Comcast. The grass is definitely not greener on the U-verse side of the fence.

edelan

Post by edelan » Fri Dec 26, 2014 10:41 am

richard1980, mdavej, et al,

Thank you for your very helpful replies.

I like the model that richard1980 gave because it is a technically correct answer and put the right structure to the question. Thank you to mdavej because it outlines the practical aspects of this kind of conversion and it is certainly not anything that would make sense.

I will keep trying to get Comcast and I working together.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:01 pm

edelan wrote: The problem is that it hooks me up to Comcast and I am sick to death with them. I have had technical and billing issues to no end, so I am ready to jump ship. :evil:
I would file a complaint with the FCC.

https://esupport.fcc.gov/ccmsforms/form ... type=2000E
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Fri Dec 26, 2014 12:01 pm

mdavej wrote:So you'll have to buy a Colossus (expensive) and IR blaster to control the U-verse box and be limited to one tuner at a time which you will have to also watch while doing any recordings.
Just to clarify, that statement is only true if you have one Colossus, one IR blaster, and one U-Verse box. If you have 2 Colossuses, 2 IR blasters, and 2 U-Verse boxes, then you can set up 2 tuners in WMC, which will allow you to watch one channel and record another simultaneously just like any other dual-tuner setup. Obviously the more Colossuses, IR blasters, and U-Verse boxes you add, the more expensive the solution becomes.
mdavej wrote:If you switch to U-verse, better to forget about WMC and just rent a U-verse DVR. I expect you'll get a pretty good deal on one as a new customer. And I assume you're also willing to give up those blazing cable internet speeds. If I were you, I'd lick my wounds and try to work something out with Comcast. The grass is definitely not greener on the U-verse side of the fence.
Agreed.

Srcpt

Post by Srcpt » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:37 pm

I use WMC for OTA service through a HDHomerun tuner and for other Internet streaming, I use UVerse as a parallel system, just switching input source on my TV. AFAIK there is no convenient way to integrate them.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 5:57 pm

Srcpt wrote:AFAIK there is no convenient way to integrate them.
If you had bothered to read the responses in this thread prior to posting, you would have learned how to integrate them.

RyC

Post by RyC » Sun Dec 28, 2014 7:42 pm

While its possible to use the Colossus with Uverse (and nearly any other provider since it uses an IR blaster to control their box), I think the consensus is that non blasting tuners (yes yes the colossus technically isnt a tuner) are a better solution if possible since you don't necessarily have to worry about blasting misfires and you aren't going through the provided box. Perhaps that's what he meant by "convenient" since IR blasting is the only way to use WMC with Uverse

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Dec 28, 2014 10:22 pm

richard1980 wrote:
If you had bothered to read the responses in this thread prior to posting, you would have learned how to integrate them.
Define "integrate".

I can shake the salad dressing bottle and mix the oil and vinegar, but I wouldn't say I "integrated" them.

Srcpt

Post by Srcpt » Sun Dec 28, 2014 11:04 pm

richard1980 wrote:
I did read all the posts in this long thread prior to posting. I didn't say it was not possible, just not convenient. Cable is much easier to use with WMC through just about any tuner card, or external tuner. Having to purchase a Colossus (which, btw, will not fit in my low profile case) and setting up problematic IR blaster is not convenient, at least for me.
adam1991 wrote:
richard1980 wrote:
Define "integrate".

I can shake the salad dressing bottle and mix the oil and vinegar, but I wouldn't say I "integrated" them.
Wow, tough crowd!

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:48 am

adam1991 wrote:I can shake the salad dressing bottle and mix the oil and vinegar, but I wouldn't say I "integrated" them.
What if you add some egg yolk?

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Tue Dec 30, 2014 2:47 am

Then I don't have salad dressing. I have mayonnaise, which doesn't solve my salad dressing problem.

So, define "integrate".

Srcpt

Post by Srcpt » Tue Dec 30, 2014 1:32 pm

INTEGRATE. transitive verb. 1 : to form, coordinate, or blend into a functioning or unified whole : unite.