Movies 'Genre' freeze

sorethumbs

HTPC Specs: Show details

Movies 'Genre' freeze

Post by sorethumbs » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:36 am

I have recently rebuilt my little htpc to run an ssd as the operating system and a separate sata hdd as the storage drive. I have about 580 movies on it. I have YAMMM pulling in the necessary metadata and artwork. If i go to 'Movies' and select to view 'Genre' Media Center will just hang there, I can alt-tab out to desktop but media center does not respond if I go back in. I'm a bit baffled why this is happening on a brand new ssd build. I have removed all xml data and artwork from my movies folders and re-run yammm afresh but it is still happening. Is it possible one of the movies I have added recently is to blame?

I'm not sure where to start looking. It used to work fine when I used the operating system on the sata hdd (with a partition for the movies). Out of interest I fired up the sata hdd as the boot drive to check if it was better than using the separate ssd as OS drive and got the same issue of freezing. Would 2 separate OS's do the same thing???

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:52 pm

Give it time. You have 580 movies that WMC has to scan to get the genre, and that takes time. For comparison, I tested 512 movies and it took over 48 seconds to sort by genre.

sorethumbs

Post by sorethumbs » Wed Dec 17, 2014 7:52 am

You may well be right. I always have it set to the 'Title' view and never needed to change it. Only when I scrolled across thinking I was scrolling through movies I had the top bar selected to change view and went onto genre and thought whats up here.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Dec 18, 2014 4:31 pm

Most of my movies fall under more than one genre, frequently more than two. I'm sure it's nothing more than MC sorting it all out.

Added: the native MC library gets slower if/when you have different size covers in your collection. I'm sure there are other contributing factors, but MC scrapes the movie library everytime you open it.