Windows Update 3004394 Issues

Starflare5

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Starflare5 » Thu Dec 11, 2014 11:03 pm

Hey guys,

I had the same issue with update playready, video driver errors, all of the above when that update rolled out on all 4 systems I have working with my Ceton InfiniTV6 ETH. Luckily, I reloaded a previous back up and all is good. Ran Windows update again afterwards, and all is good.

Rollback or uninstall updates, get Acronis True Image, (or either of the drive companies drive tools which are the same thing from Seagate or Western Digital) backup you HDD, Even if Microsoft "removed" the update, make sure all are checked and install all important/critical updates, verify that playready has not crashed (asking to update) afterwards. If it has the issue, reload from backup and remember to check "Restore Drive Signature" at the bottom of the page before you confirm reload.

Also, Microsoft changed, or, updated the Windows DRM scheme back in October. Please verify that your tuner's firmware has been updated to work with that new scheme.

This will help with the incompatibility with some updates as well.

Hope this helps a few.

Starflare5.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Dec 12, 2014 12:56 am

Removed this update and rebooted, checked for windows updates again and KB3004394 does not prompt for re-installation so it does look to have been pulled.

gary94080

Post by gary94080 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 1:54 am

kyussson wrote:Just chiming in. In my case, I have no OTA playback or recorded TV playback - just a plain blue background.
same here, one system I could watch recorded or recording programs, but not "live TV" on the other it was just blue screen. the blue screen was a newer system the other is about three years old. both seem to work ok after uninstalling 3004394.

tin foil hat theory: MS is trying to chase away the remaining WMC users out there.

optimus1883

Post by optimus1883 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:30 am

Started having issues yesterday, but didn't put it together until my 360 extender kept disconnecting. I was getting the blue screen when trying to playback video but a reboot had fixed it. I have recently installed Plex for my movie collection and MCEbuddy for converting tv shows. Also just finished re-cabling my htpc and extender when the disconnecting issue started. Almost thought there was something wrong with my network connection. Currently in process of removing KB3004394, pc is rebooting now. Hopefully this will fix it.

Thanks for the quick work on this!

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:42 am

Microsoft has pushed a new update to Windows Update tonight that removes KB3004394. More Info here: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/3024777 Running Windows update and installing KB3024777 will remove the offending update.
Affected OS include: All supported versions of Windows Server 2008 R2 for Itanium-based systems, All supported x86-based versions of Windows 7, All supported x64-based versions of Windows 7 and Windows Server 2008 R2
newfiend~

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 11:29 am

I've been on the road all week. No complaints from the roommates. Thanks for digging in guys. All I really noticed was that MB3 wasn't streaming live to the truck phone very well. I could tune a channel, but it wouldn't stay playing for long. Maybe it fixed itself, I'll test and repair when I get off the road trip. From the sounds of things.....I just need to boot everything.

droopie

Post by droopie » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:11 pm

This community is awesome! I noticed the problem Wed night....recorded tv or live tv would only play 1-2 minutes on XB360. After unsuccessfully trying a couple of other things (I have to fix PlayReady now...lol) I saw this post and removed the offending update. Yesterday morning my system reinstalled this update...so I had to remove it last night again....and turned off automatic updates for now.

foxt

Post by foxt » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:39 pm

I am new to WMC and this site, and am very impressed with the manner in which this issue has been handled here! No wading through posts, etc. Instead, an announcement right at the top of the page alerting everyone to a pervasive issue, and what to do about it. Great job to all involved!

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Dec 12, 2014 3:50 pm

HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

J3fC

Post by J3fC » Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:18 pm

Uninstalling update 3004394 worked for me, thanks! :clap:

Shame on Microsoft for poor quality control (unless that was their intent :shock: ).

Googled this issue for hours before coming across this site. Saving it to my favorites.

Rgc101

Post by Rgc101 » Fri Dec 12, 2014 5:55 pm

Same issue here. Uninstalled and everything working again. Nice work Microsoft. Thanks for wasting an entire morning of mine. Thanks to this forum. It is awesome.

daidavel

Post by daidavel » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:00 am

I got really screwed on this one ... turned into 1/2 day affair that ended with my reloading Windows 7 from scratch and starting over, losing hundreds of hours of recordings in the process :cry: I was back up and running before that evenings shows were ready to record, so the family was happy at least.

Jchjs

Post by Jchjs » Sun Dec 14, 2014 5:55 am

I'm still having the same issues after downloading the update to remove it. I can't get it past the "play ready not complete". I have spent hours trying different fixes, deleting and reinstalling play ready and digital cable advisor, deleting the cache in e-home, among others. It still won't let me watch anything other than the networks live or recorded. When I try to watch other recordings or live on non-networks it says copy protected or update play ready. Please help!

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:40 am

Jchjs wrote:I'm still having the same issues after downloading the update to remove it. I can't get it past the "play ready not complete".
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=3760

http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 127#p34127

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewtopic.php?t=10360

Space

Post by Space » Sun Dec 14, 2014 6:38 pm

Jchjs wrote:I'm still having the same issues after downloading the update to remove it. I can't get it past the "play ready not complete". I have spent hours trying different fixes, deleting and reinstalling play ready and digital cable advisor, deleting the cache in e-home, among others. It still won't let me watch anything other than the networks live or recorded. When I try to watch other recordings or live on non-networks it says copy protected or update play ready. Please help!
Are you sure that the update successfully removed KB3004394? I saw some reports that it failed for some people. You can manually remove KB3004394 by following the instructions here:

http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewt ... 41&t=18250

You should make sure it is removed and see if removing it fixes your problems before you do anything with PlayReady.

Jchjs

Post by Jchjs » Wed Dec 17, 2014 3:55 pm

I have tried all the suggestions, thanks for them; but I still can't get it to update. I've logged in as the built in admin, used cmd as administrator yet it will not show the play ready files. I did enable show hidden files and protected system files file folders. (What else can cause it to stay hidden?) I've reset the dmr as well. The win update is removed but none of this has worked. Any other ideas?

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Dec 17, 2014 4:49 pm

Jchjs wrote:I have tried all the suggestions, thanks for them; but I still can't get it to update. I've logged in as the built in admin, used cmd as administrator yet it will not show the play ready files. I did enable show hidden files and protected system files file folders. (What else can cause it to stay hidden?) I've reset the dmr as well. The win update is removed but none of this has worked. Any other ideas?
Have you tried a system restore to a point before the update was installed? Have any system backups you can restore to?
newfiend~

Jchjs

Post by Jchjs » Wed Dec 17, 2014 5:51 pm

I did a system restore but it didn't have a restore point before this. I restored it to the 11 th the update was there and then I removed it using programs and creatures uninstall updates. It didn't help.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Dec 17, 2014 6:43 pm

Jchjs wrote:I did a system restore but it didn't have a restore point before this. I restored it to the 11 th the update was there and then I removed it using programs and creatures uninstall updates. It didn't help.
DRM and PlayReady issues can wreck havoc.. If you have tried following the suggestions left by Adam above with the links he shared etc. Without success.. My suggestion (albeit one you won't want to hear) would be to reinstall Windows. Sometimes it's just better to start fresh then to try and fix something that will take longer (and probably not get a 100% right) than to try and fix.
My suggestion would be to wipe and reinstall and then once everything is working and set up correctly make a system image of the C: drive and put it somewhere safe. This way if you run into an issue again you can restore using a windows rescue disk and your system image. I do this for all my PC's so recovering from something like this is much easier and faster. It's not often that a Windows update goes terribly wrong but it has happened and will again I am sure. I have had good success with windows updates not ruining my systems but others have not been as lucky. My wife's PC just got a bad Malware bug and I had to restore it.. The system image saved me hours of work reinstalling. Just food for thought.. Wish I had the magic answer to fix your PC but sometimes its better to start fresh. There are apps out there for backing up Series recording settings etc.. I say back that stuff up, reinstall and move forward. This way you know it's fixed.
newfiend~

mmatheny

Post by mmatheny » Wed Dec 24, 2014 5:23 pm

Hey newfiend!! Yes, it was pulled:

https://support.microsoft.com/kb/3024777
Mike