Guide only loads listings for some channels

Global guide related discussion. All Windows versions.
FlergHergersen

HTPC Specs: Show details

Guide only loads listings for some channels

Post by FlergHergersen » Fri Nov 21, 2014 5:57 pm

Longtime lurker, first time poster.

The guide on my Win7 HTPC recognizes all of the channels (it lists their names in the left column), but it won't download listings for the cable channels. I can see listings for and record anything that's also available on broadcast TV, even though the only signal coming into the PC is cable: digital channels 5-23 work fine. But when I get up to the cable channels around 51.1 and higher, the guide shows the channel name but no program listings. If it knows what channel it is, why won't it show me the listings? It is definitely receiving those channels - I can watch them live through WMC, but without the guide I can't record any cable shows.

More background: I had an old Vista HTPC with a similar setup that worked fine, though I've moved and changed cable companies. Before I was with TWC; now I'm with MediaCom. Not sure whether the cable company has anything to do with it. I'm using a Hauppauge WinTV 2250 and set it up the way that the old Vista machine was set up - cable goes into cable box, then out to tuner card. I've tried setting WMC with every cable provider in the area that it listed, but the problem doesn't go away.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Flerg

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Sat Nov 22, 2014 1:55 am

Have you tried editing the channels, the listing they use? At the moment I am having that trouble with freeview.

FlergHergersen

Post by FlergHergersen » Sat Nov 22, 2014 5:32 am

mercalia wrote:Have you tried editing the channels, the listing they use? At the moment I am having that trouble with freeview.
Thanks for the suggestion. I think I tried that a few weeks ago to no avail; does doing this provide any more options than just telling WMC what station it is? Because part of what's so baffling is that it identifies the stations automatically. It just won't download listings.

Any other ideas?

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Sun Nov 23, 2014 6:26 pm

cant help you further but to say in my case about 40-50% of the WMC assigned listings were wrong or missing in my case in the UK. I cant be bothered any more with the MS listings and just use those broadcast which are 100%. Seems to me the quality of the listings service has gone down?

jmebeedie

Post by jmebeedie » Mon Feb 02, 2015 4:38 pm

I've got a question sort of along these lines as some guide data not having any info.

I live in a fringe area where I can receive signals from both Indianapolis, IN as well as Louisville, KY. I have a tower up at 50 ft with rotator to select direction of reception but found a nice UHF only Yagi type antenna laying around that I had forgotten about so I put it up at about the 30 ft level. I originally tried the reverse splitter to combine the two but had a bit of multi path issues where about 4-5 channels were being knocked out so had to do a bit of smoke and dance with some extra splitters & attenuators to get them to function properly to my main pc rig with an ATI TV tuner attached. After doing a channel scan it picked up both markets channels fine and can watch them BUT...the EPG guide will only display programming info from one market and leaves the other channels as "no information" entries.

On the Zap2it.com website it shows listing for the programs but windows media center (windows 7) is only pulling in one market. Does anyone know if it's possible to get the EPG setup to pull all available programming from two different markets at the same time? Or, is there a way for you to perhaps change the market (zip code) to another setting and then re-download the guide data so that maybe it will have all channels with program info?

Thanks for any and all help and sorry for the long post.

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Tue Feb 03, 2015 2:31 pm

Jmebeedie

I'm in the same boat you are. I get stations from Milwaukee, Chicago, & Rockford.

Try running TV set up again and use different zipcodes closer to Louisville until you find one that has both cities in the guide.

jmebd

Post by jmebd » Wed Feb 04, 2015 1:08 pm

Dmagerl --- were you able to get yours to see all three markets?

I just saw this and am at work but will try what you suggest and post back either tonight or tomorrow with my results. Kinda wish it would have allowed you to input zip codes for all the markets you want and pull all the guide data and then just do a channel edit to remove the stations that you can't receive (in my case mostly PBS stations which aren't a huge deal for me).

dmagerl

Post by dmagerl » Wed Feb 04, 2015 2:40 pm

I had to use a zipcode a few miles north of me to get all three metro areas.

A while back a process was devised to add extra metro areas to the guide for canadian viewers. I dont know if it'll work, nor if it is even appropriate. I never tried it and it is rather complex.
https://pnear.wordpress.com/2009/07/27/ ... ia-center/