Strange network connection issue with XBOX extender

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
ninintothevoid

HTPC Specs: Show details

Strange network connection issue with XBOX extender

Post by ninintothevoid » Sun Nov 02, 2014 11:24 pm

I've been having trouble figuring out what is wrong with my connection between my htpc and the xbox extender. On my network, I have three devices:

Laptop - wireless
HTPC - wired
XBOX - wired

The laptop is able to connect to and see both devices on the network(all in the same subnet).

HTPC - is able to see the laptop, unable to see the xbox

XBOX - able to see laptop, not able to see HTPC

If I connect the XBOX directly to the HTPC, then I am able to connect to WMC. Likewise, if I connect the XBOX wirelessly to the network, I am able to connect to WMC. However, if the XBOX is connected through the router wired, then I am unable to connect to it. Any suggestions for things to try? I've tried hooking up wireshark to see if I see any traffic coming from the xbox on the htpc, but I can't PING or nmap the device.

Crash2009

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Nov 03, 2014 12:52 am

I think I know how you feel. Your making me dizzy just reading this. I think I would wire the laptop and get all three working wired first. If the laptop has no Ethernet get a USB NIC.

Oh yeah, there is one more part to the puzzle. What kind of router do you have?

One other suggestion, assuming the laptop has a wired connection. What happens when you Bridge the wired and wireless connections on the laptop? or, Is it bridged all ready and that's why it can see both?