Ceton Echo/Xbox 360 emulator?

BCloud

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ceton Echo/Xbox 360 emulator?

Post by BCloud » Tue Oct 14, 2014 5:42 pm

Can the Ceton Echo be emulated? :think:

the reason I wonder is that most older game consoles, ie. Genesis, snes; have been emulated to play games on multiple platforms even android. I see no reason why someone who knows how shouldn't try. wish I did though :crazy:

Thoughts?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 2:20 pm

It would be nice, however, 100 bucks is not a bad price to have the real thing.

There are a few people trying, all though they seem to be having some trouble with copy protection. Have a peek at WMC Server/XBMC/PvrWMC. If your channels are not completely locked down, that combo might work for you. http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 297#p62297 It is a fairly easy way to get live TV to other devices, including Android.

BCloud

Post by BCloud » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:27 pm

true, 100 buck isn't a ton of money. But the idea would be to run a WMC extender from a mirco PC on your home network. (ie rasberry pi, or and android TV device). If an extender could be emulated it could even possibly be run on a roku, and easily hidden.
Last edited by BCloud on Wed Oct 15, 2014 4:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.

milli260876

Post by milli260876 » Wed Oct 15, 2014 3:36 pm

Android tv has playready.. Apparently.. So MAY work natively?
Lee

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Oct 15, 2014 6:16 pm

So there are two issues here:

1. Technical:
Given the different CPU architectures of PCs or Xbox 360, you would need significantly faster hardware than the items mentioned to be able to emulate Echo. Aside from that, our firmware is encrypted with a Ceton-specific key burned into the CPU - even if you made an exact clone of the Echo hardware, it wouldn't work as your CPU would have different fuses burnt. Aside from that, you would need a device cert for each extender, which you can only get as a licensed extender manufacturer.

2. Legal:
Software on Echo is copyrighted by Ceton and Microsoft, among others, and doing this would amount to piracy.
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

BCloud

Post by BCloud » Wed Oct 15, 2014 7:09 pm

erkotz wrote:So there are two issues here:

1. Technical:
Given the different CPU architectures of PCs or Xbox 360, you would need significantly faster hardware than the items mentioned to be able to emulate Echo. Aside from that, our firmware is encrypted with a Ceton-specific key burned into the CPU - even if you made an exact clone of the Echo hardware, it wouldn't work as your CPU would have different fuses burnt. Aside from that, you would need a device cert for each extender, which you can only get as a licensed extender manufacturer.

2. Legal:
Software on Echo is copyrighted by Ceton and Microsoft, among others, and doing this would amount to piracy.
True, all valid points. I'm not arguing the legality of it. We all know that software like emulators are frowned upon. Unfortunately legality hasn't stopped the dozens of console emulators available on the internet, NES to PS3.

With the processors and GPUs now available in some android device (Ouya, amazon fire TV, nexxus 7), I think it could be possible. I personally don't have the knowledge or skill to do it. I just think it would awesome to a run WMC7 extender on my nexxus 7 over vpn for TV anywhere. :angel:

jasondeanny

Post by jasondeanny » Sun Nov 09, 2014 3:45 am

The question or goal shouldn't be emulating or pirating the Ceton Echo. The goal should be to develop a solution that works better than the Ceton Echo. I can only guess that some type of barebones mini-PC can be used to run Windows 7 Embedded running WMC. I own an Echo and have had issues where it stutters, loses its connection to the WMC host, has audio issues or simply freezes. It would be a great product if it worked as promised. It appears development has stopped on it.

Is it worth it? Likely no as the cost will be greater than the Echo or finding a refurbished Xbox 360. My 360 works MUCH better than the Echo. The worst part of the 360 is the size. That's the one thing Echo had going for it.

Killer app? It would be best if there was an iOS app, Android app or Smart TV app that could stream from the WMC host.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Nov 09, 2014 9:54 am

You have network issues.

Trust me. It's not the Echo.

BCloud

Post by BCloud » Mon Nov 10, 2014 2:25 pm

JadsondeAn wrote:The question or goal shouldn't be emulating or pirating the Ceton Echo. The goal should be to develop a solution that works better than the Ceton Echo. I can only guess that some type of barebones mini-PC can be used to run Windows 7 Embedded running WMC. I own an Echo and have had issues where it stutters, loses its connection to the WMC host, has audio issues or simply freezes. It would be a great product if it worked as promised. It appears development has stopped on it.

Is it worth it? Likely no as the cost will be greater than the Echo or finding a refurbished Xbox 360. My 360 works MUCH better than the Echo. The worst part of the 360 is the size. That's the one thing Echo had going for it.

Killer app? It would be best if there was an iOS app, Android app or Smart TV app that could stream from the WMC host.
I too have a ceton echo, However I am not experiencing the issues you reported. My echo is wired over a gigabit network, for me the only downside is that the menus aren't as swift or smooth as the xbox 360.

If Ceton managed to produce an app that could be added as an extender to wmc I would gladly pay $6-8 dollars for it on an app store. The ability to watch live Tv or recordings on the go would be awesome! A mobile WMC extender would be a must have app for me.Thus why I posed the question of could a WMC extender be emulated.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Nov 14, 2014 6:48 pm

Have you looked into MB3 Server lately? Streams non protected WMC content over LAN & WAN. Including live TV.

jasondeanny

Post by jasondeanny » Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:47 am

BCloud wrote:I too have a ceton echo, However I am not experiencing the issues you reported. My echo is wired over a gigabit network, for me the only downside is that the menus aren't as swift or smooth as the xbox 360.

If Ceton managed to produce an app that could be added as an extender to WMC I would gladly pay $6-8 dollars for it on an app store. The ability to watch live Tv or recordings on the go would be awesome! A mobile WMC extender would be a must have app for me.Thus why I posed the question of could a WMC extender be emulated.
I have tried my Echo with a few different switches and cables (just in case) and haven't had success in eliminating the issues. It's intermittent enough that it's a nuisance but not insurmountable. Usually a channel switch or reboot corrects it but it's certainly annoying.

I agree... <$10 would be a great price for such an app. (Compared to Slingbox which I believe is at $14.99). Streaming to DLNA certified devices on the local network would also eliminate the need for an Echo (as would an app on a Smart TV or attached device such as a Blu-Ray player).

The fact remains it appears to be a dead product with no further development which is a shame. It looked as if they had big plans for an update to the Echo to add Android to the device but due to hardware issues the program was abandoned as unworkable. See their blog post at http://cetoncorp.com/blog/ceton-echo-android/

That's the very last post on their site and it was posted on 8/30/2013.

It's very unfortunate that such a great device like the Infinitv seems to be the last from Ceton. I highly doubt we'll be seeing a 4K Inifnitv.