From WMC to ?

Ed 

HTPC Specs: Show details

From WMC to ?

Post by Ed  » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:17 pm

newfiend wrote:So the question I have for you all is.. If/When you guys decide to move on from WMC what will you replace it with? I'm curious to see your answers..
newfiend~
Android TV in the house! Let me hear you say OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH! ;) :P

When WMC goes away, I'm done using a computer DVR and having little issues come up all the time that I need to bust out a M&KB/RDP in for; or all the other type of little quirks we've come to just accept in using a computer as our DVR. So that leaves out Mediaportal or Argus TV or the like.

The Xbox doesn't support any US TV formats - so that's out (for the moment, at least).

The only thing coming out that supports OTA and cable TV functions in any way - is Android TV.

If I decide to go OTA only, then something like Tablo could work.

There is also Tivo - but I have yet to do the math on what it would cost vs me just bucking up for a CableCo DVR - or what the cost would be if I went OTA only with it. I'm not hopeful of that (Tivo) though.

Last resort is just buck up for a Cable DVR.

But, with TV channels issuing apps you can log in with (my friend gave me his Time Warner log in for the channels my Cable Co doesn't support apps for) - it might be app only TV viewing for me in the future, along with my Netflix and Hulu subscriptions. Even HBO and Showtime are entertaining the thought of offering HBO Go and Showtime Anytime subscriptions to non-cable subscribers. I think that's where TV is heading; and glad for it IMO.
Last edited by Ed  on Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:55 pm, edited 2 times in total.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:35 pm

Your comments are interesting. I must add that a WMC HTPC assigned ONLY the task of recording and playing back TV works well and without issue.

Oops aside from guide data right now lol
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:43 pm

Ed  wrote:There is also Tivo - but I have yet to do the math on what it would cost vs me just bucking up for a CableCo DVR - or what the cost would be if I went OTA only with it. I'm not hopeful of that (Tivo) though.

The math is very easy to do, and in my case it comes up about the same as when I did similar math for WMC almost 4 years ago: it's a 3 year ROI to buy Tivo and a couple Roamios, full price, no more monthly payments ever.

And that's perfectly acceptable to me, but only if WMC completely goes away. I like skipping commercials in WMC and won't change unless I have to.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sun Sep 21, 2014 6:49 pm

STC wrote:Your comments are interesting. I must add that a WMC HTPC assigned ONLY the task of recording and playing back TV works well and without issue.

Oops aside from guide data right now lol
And aside from the 29/59 bug, or when people resume from sleep get a black screen, or no sound. I'm talking all possibilities of those 'little' things that come along with having a PC hooked up to the screen. I remedied all that (and any other possibilities in the future) by making my HTPC headless and having only Xboxes at the TVs. No other HTPC setup (Sage aside, but Sage is dead anyway) supports a CE extender model, so that I could set it up like I have it again. I would need computers at the TVs if I went with HTPC software. When WMC goes away, I'm not going 'backwards' in that regard :P
adam1991 wrote:
Ed  wrote:There is also Tivo - but I have yet to do the math on what it would cost vs me just bucking up for a CableCo DVR - or what the cost would be if I went OTA only with it. I'm not hopeful of that (Tivo) though.

The math is very easy to do, and in my case it comes up about the same as when I did similar math for WMC almost 4 years ago: it's a 3 year ROI to buy Tivo and a couple Roamios, full price, no more monthly payments ever.

And that's perfectly acceptable to me, but only if WMC completely goes away. I like skipping commercials in WMC and won't change unless I have to.
It's good to hear it's not that much. Still gotta see what it offers me vs Android TV when (not if) it becomes time to switch. Especially seeing as it's being speculated Android TV will only be around $100 per device, no subscriptions, and will work with the tuners I have already.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:27 pm

Ed and I have been talking about Android TV.. I'm curious about it.. I may look into this when it becomes available. http://www.android.com/tv/
newfiend~

STC

Post by STC » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:44 pm

^It's on my list too ;)

STC

Post by STC » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:45 pm

Ed  wrote:And aside from the 29/59 bug, or when people resume from sleep get a black screen, or no sound. I'm talking all possibilities of those 'little' things that come along with having a PC hooked up to the screen. I remedied all that (and any other possibilities in the future) by making my HTPC headless and having only Xboxes at the TVs. No other HTPC setup (Sage aside, but Sage is dead anyway) supports a CE extender model, so that I could set it up like I have it again. I would need computers at the TVs if I went with HTPC software. When WMC goes away, I'm not going 'backwards' in that regard :P
I've been lucky with respect to 29/59. It's only on a handful of SD channels that I don't even watch.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:49 pm

Right, but my point being - it's still a problem in general. It never affected me also - but now I don't have to worry if it ever will/could if I don't have any computers hooked up directly to a TV to begin with. I'm all about preventing things from causing problems before they could, not when/if they arise :D

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:25 am

Also am anxiously awaiting Android tv. I can't wait to see how it develops.

JTScribe

Post by JTScribe » Mon Sep 22, 2014 2:46 pm

If they end support for Win7, I will move to Win8. I figure 8 should be supported for at least 6 more years. Who knows what we'll have by then.

PLBarton

Post by PLBarton » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:05 pm

christoph86 wrote:Also am anxiously awaiting Android tv. I can't wait to see how it develops.
From what I have read there does not appear to be any LiveTV option nor PVR option for Android tv. Am I just reading the wrong articles? It seems to be another app based TV console and nothing else.

PLBarton

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 5:02 pm

Watch this video on the google presentation http://youtu.be/y3dCUPeyhag

They talk about live tv integration a ways into the presentation, a neat part is where they talk about combining all inputs into Android tv and a simple change of channel switches to other inputs.

It seems Google will be relying heavily on developers to expand the possibilities of android tv. I think there is a lot of potential here, but will have to see how it develops. Google definitely is eyeing live tv here. It has playready DRM, they mention their partnership with silicon dust.

Could you plug a usb cablecard tuner and hard drive into an android tv box? If someone makes this box/microconsole you will have your true all in one box that everyone has always wanted with a very pleasant and easily navigated interface.

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:47 pm

Ed  wrote: Android TV in the house! Let me hear you say OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH! ;) :P
OOOOOOOOOOHHHHHHH! Seriously. :D

Android TV is working with SiliconDust HDHomerun Tuners, so at a minimum it will work for live TV (including cablecards). No expectation for DVR capability, especially with copy-once content, but we can dream.

Edit: link with an Android TV watching content from a cable card network tuner. Copy once content was viewable only with the SiliconDust app.
http://www.silicondust.com/forum2/viewt ... 81&t=17664

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:00 pm

I'm hoping Google adds DVR and Copy-once support (for you guys, I dont do CableCard :P I do want DVR though) to the device either before launch, or shortly after launch; within the OS natively (as in, not needing any apps). Copy-Once is viewable with the HDHomerun app as you mentioned. Being the Android platform - DVR can still cone to the device via a third party app/developer (either SIliconDust or someone else), even if Google doesn't add it themselves. So I'm hopeful, but don't think it matters if we get it natively, or via an app (though natively would be better admittedly) in the end though - as long as we get it.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:16 pm

Ed  wrote:I'm hoping Google adds DVR and Copy-once support (for you guys, I dont do CableCard :P I do want DVR though) to the device either before launch, or shortly after launch; within the OS natively (as in, not needing any apps). Copy-Once is viewable with the HDHomerun app as you mentioned. Being the Android platform - DVR can still cone to the device via a third party app/developer (either SIliconDust or someone else), even if Google doesn't add it themselves. So I'm hopeful, but don't think it matters if we get it natively, or via an app (though natively would be better admittedly) in the end though - as long as we get it.
Correct. DVR capabilities should be possible, but Google is relying on third party developers to provide these capabilities. This is how Google operates with their Android system. Give devs the tools to put out products people want. I believe this could be the one box fits all solution ( including gaming) that we've been looking for. I think the dev support will be there.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:34 pm

christoph86 wrote:( including gaming)
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I wouldn't count on that. :D :P

It does do ANDROID games, yes. And while some can be pretty impressive in looks and gameplay for mobile - they're still just mobile games in the end. Even if on a non-mobile device. It wouldn't be on par with any Xbox, PS, or PC AAA games .

Now, if all you play is mobile and/or casual games, that's completely fine, and your point stands - absolutely. But this will not be a Xbox/Playstation/Steam Box killer in any regard, for those who consider themselves 'gamers/occasional gamers/hardcore gamers'.

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Tue Sep 23, 2014 9:36 am

well for the UK WMC works just fine and unless the broadcasters start to encrypt the national freeview ota channels will remain fine even when MS stop supporting Windows 7 and even if they turn off the EPG updates, as WMV quite happily picks up the epg from the broadcast data ( non HD content - fine for me ).

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:15 pm

mercalia wrote:well for the UK WMC works just fine and unless the broadcasters start to encrypt the national freeview ota channels will remain fine even when MS stop supporting Windows 7 and even if they turn off the EPG updates, as WMV quite happily picks up the epg from the broadcast data ( non HD content - fine for me ).
Media Center works quite well in the U.S. still but it's getting long in the tooth for some of the members here. There's some excitement with AntroidTV which I share with the others as it is said to support Silicondust tuners. With that, I can't see how this would omit a PC at the backend to handle multiple recordings and storage for such.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 3:27 pm

Ed  wrote:
christoph86 wrote:( including gaming)
Eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeehhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I wouldn't count on that. :D :P

It does do ANDROID games, yes. And while some can be pretty impressive in looks and gameplay for mobile - they're still just mobile games in the end. Even if on a non-mobile device. It wouldn't be on par with any Xbox, PS, or PC AAA games .

Now, if all you play is mobile and/or casual games, that's completely fine, and your point stands - absolutely. But this will not be a Xbox/Playstation/Steam Box killer in any regard, for those who consider themselves 'gamers/occasional gamers/hardcore gamers'.
True, for now. But Nvidia has already signed on to put Tegra K1 SoCs into Android tv devices. If you read about the K1, it has the capabilities to be on par or better than Xbox 360. Android L also adds a lot of graphics updates including 64 bit, tessellation, geometry shaders, and many other things designed for gamers. The games just aren't there yet. At the rate SoCs are improving, if Android tv catches on, games will get better and better. I'm not saying it will replace Xbox/Playstations, but it will become a very viable gaming system as long as good console type games with controller support continue to improve. This all at a fraction of power usage, with an estimated 11 watt TDP at full usage (5-8 watt normal usage)

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:26 pm

Yeah, in still extremely doubtful. But, we'll wait and see :)

At least this isn't like OUYA, where the success of the device depends on if it's a successful gaming device.