Windows 8.1 and xbox 360 refuse to complete set up

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
hoodlikegaza

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 8.1 and xbox 360 refuse to complete set up

Post by hoodlikegaza » Tue Sep 09, 2014 6:51 am

Windows 8.1 is a steaming pile of junk when it comes to setting up media center. I have an xbox 360 that every time i try to set it up using the key, when it gets to the last part where it connects to the xbox i get an error from the xbox saying:

Connection failure

The Xbox 360 could not connect to the Windows Media Center PC. Turn your Xbox 360 off then on again, and try to connect again.

The pc says:
Extender connection failed

Your extender was set up correctly, but failed to connect to this computer. This issue might be caused by a configuration problem with your firewall.

This is complete BS. This worked flawlessly in windows 7, and I've had this problem before earlier this year when I first installed windows 8. After not being able to get that to work, I reinstalled 7. Now, I'm trying windows 8 again, and it still doesn't work. Microsoft obviously intentionally killed this.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Tue Sep 09, 2014 1:29 pm

Turn off windows firewall or forward ports, also turn on QOS WMM & UPnP on your router. Any other antivirus software installed?

http://windows.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... -extenders

wbroadley

Post by wbroadley » Wed Oct 29, 2014 10:15 am

I'm using Windows 8.1 and Xbox 360 extender without any problems, so to be honest I don't think it's a windows 8/8.1 problem. It's likely to be your firewall settings