New to WMC TV - No Signal when Recording

CynthiaBlue

HTPC Specs: Show details

New to WMC TV - No Signal when Recording

Post by CynthiaBlue » Fri Sep 05, 2014 7:55 pm

I'm brand new to Windows Media Center. After exploring various options of cutting the cable (we used to have Comcast Xfinity and a Tivo), my husband discovered that we can use WMC to act as a DVR. Cool! We bought a Hauppauge 2250 tuner card and plopped it into our spare Windows 7 computer and hooked it up to the TV.

So far so good... however, when I try to record shows, I'm getting the message that there is no signal. But if I stop the recording, I can go and view that channel fine.

Anyway so been looking around and found the Channel Edit Sources Option... the Hauppauge is a Duel Tuner card, but when I look at the Edit Sources I see four entries ( Digital Antenna (ATSC) ). Two for each tuner. Another strange thing is that for, say, channel 2.1, for Tuner #2 there is a Channel Number 34.1 and a Channel Number 41.1. From what I'm reading, 34.1 is the real channel number and 2.1 is the virtual. So I don't know why each tuner has two options...?

I'm still quite new and learning, want to understand it all. I was a techie by profession before I retired so want to get the gist of it all. Also... how do I see which tuner is looking at which channel?

Thanks,
Cyn

CynthiaBlue

Post by CynthiaBlue » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:45 pm

Reading more... it looks like perhaps WMC is picking up conflicting signals (thus the duplicates) that are actually incorrect or too distant to provide a strong enough signal. I also have sub-channels like 2.2, 4.2, 4.30 etc... and I'm trying to go through and uncheck those channels that are incorrect on my tuners. However, when I google online to find a full channel list for Salt Lake City, Utah, I only see the main channel listings. I don't see the ones for the sub-channels. And sure i can guess for each one but I'd rather have a complete list. Anyone have a link where I can get all my local channels, including the sub-channels, and their correct channel number and virtual? Thanks.

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:07 pm

TV Fool can provide that information - Specifically http://www.tvfool.com/index.php?option= ... &Itemid=29 where you enter your address.

CynthiaBlue

Post by CynthiaBlue » Sat Sep 06, 2014 3:55 pm

The problem was definitely the extra channels... I disabled them, and the recording is working well. Yay. :)