Protected content error when second display connected

lucasbuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

Protected content error when second display connected

Post by lucasbuck » Sat Aug 30, 2014 10:13 pm

I had issues with my last video card, so I picked up a Asus Geforce 610 GT. I'm trying to duplicate the displays between two rooms. It works intermittently. But for some reason, I get the "the video playback device does not support playback of protected content". The card has an hdmi and a dvi (which is going to a converter plug). If I unplug hdmi, the stream comes back. Is it because I'm duplicating? In the Nvidia control panel it passes the HDCP test, but if I run the advisor with both cables plugged in WMC says it can't display protected content.

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:15 am

Sigh. Nevermind, it does the same thing with only one input hooked up. I got a new card because I had a Geforce 8800 and was having handshake issues. Ceton has an article that there was some weird thing with the 8800 that had issues with HDCP. SO, got this new card, and now getting an all new error about content protection. (At least it's not the HDCP one the 8800 gave me, I've never seen the 'support playback' error before installing this new card today.)
So, while I have still have a window to return it I'd be happy for any input.Tell me a card to buy and I'll happily buy it! :)

What I really wanted to do is duplicate the displays between the living and bedroom. (It actually works and the resolutions are fine, until the content protection error kicks in). I normally use an xbox as an extender, but kind of tired of the performance. It's just me and my wife, we never watch TV in separate rooms, so I figured why not just duplicate the display.

Of course aside from the 'does not support playback' error I realized I can't play audio to two devices at once. My living room TV goes from optical out (on the mainboard) to a receiver and to surround sound speakers. The HDMI on the Geforce goes to the bedroom TV (to send audio). BUT, little did I know, I can't send the same signal to both at the same time. I did try Virtual Audio Cable, but it doesn't play nice with WMC and I get no sound. I also tried the Realtek mixer set as a recorder to dupe the signal, but that doesn't seem to work with the optical out.

So I'm pulling my hair out. If anyone has any sympathy:
1) At the least, what do I do with this stupid Geforce 610? Like I said, Nvidia control panel says HDCP is fine, but WMC keeps saying 'does not support.. protected content'. Even with just the DVI only hooked up.
2) if anyone has any deeper thoughts than me, how can I run on WMC computer to two screens (duplicated, not different content) and have sound go to both. Would a sound card enable me to send out to two devices? The living room TV has to go through the Sony receiver since it goes to a surround sound setup. The bedroom, HDMI is fine since it's just the TV speakers.

Again, pulling my hair out, thanks for any help!

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:30 am

Huh. I have two XBox used solely as extenders, in addition to the HTPC hooked directly to the TV in the living room, and I don't see any "performance" issues. What's the problem?

koberhol

Post by koberhol » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:22 am

Odd as this sounds I had a similar issue this month where I was getting a "copying prohibited" error. Searched endlessly and found a thread that said I hadn't Activated Digital Cable. So.. As a quick check go to WMC > Settings > TV Signal > Activate Digital Cable. I post this for you even though your situation has a different error but its a quick check.

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Sun Aug 31, 2014 12:19 pm

Thanks for the replies. I did run the digital advisor again. The error pops up shortly after both displays are connected. If I just connect one it goes quite a while, but eventually I'll go to change a channel, and get the error. I just want to make sure it isn't the card so I can send it back. The 610 is supposed to be HDCP compliant, and it says it is in the Nvidia control panel (the 6600 was intermittent, sometimes it would say it was sometimes it wasn't).

I can live with the xbox, but would like to just have the PC going to both rooms. The xbox is somewhat slower with the menus, I was dumb and ripped my DVD's using autorip not realizing they wouldn't play in that format on the xbox (and hate to convert unless there's a simple way I haven't found), and the last kicker is I use Media Browser a lot and with the latest update, you can't skip forward a certain amount of time (like, punch in 10 and fast forward on the remote and it skips forward 5 minutes). You used to be able to but with the new update you can't.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 2:51 pm

Here is one way to eliminate the error...... http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... =11&t=6352

Has anybody had any luck with Dual Link DVI-I ?
Attachments
Switcher003.JPG
Switcher002.JPG
Switcher001.jpg

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:14 pm

Crash2009 wrote:Here is one way to eliminate the error......
The error happens more when both outputs are connected, but still occurs with just one. So it shouldn't be the dual displays that's the issue.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:30 pm

My suggestion is based upon the title of your post. It is a common problem with a common solution. The exception is that you get HDCP errors with only one display connected.

One solution is to use HDMI and go to an HDMI splitter, then go to both TV's.

The other solution, and I don't even know if it works, that's why I asked about Dual Link, is to come out of the 610 to a DVI "Y" adapter then to both TV's

The 610 and other cards like it are not triple head cards. You can't have 3 different displays connected to the 3 different ports. VGA, HDMI, DVI.

http://www.asus.com/Graphics_Cards/GT61 ... /overview/

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:32 pm

Do splitters support 3d content? I thought that wouldn't work. I was wondering since the 610 isn't powered except by the PCI slot, that maybe it didn't have enough power. I was reading on nvidia's forum where other folks had issues with one monitor dropping out.
I don't mind buy a bigger card, I just get overwhelmed sorting through them. If you think another card would fix the issue and could suggest one, I'd be happy to buy it. (Hopefully one Amazon carries since the shipping is faster and returns are easier if that doesn't fix the problem). I don't mind more money for a card that's overkill, it's easier than testing a thousand things to narrow it down. Thanks again for the input.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sun Aug 31, 2014 10:56 pm

I all ready suggested a guaranteed way to make it work in post 6. I can only suggest what I know works, and mine has been on 24/7 for almost a year. If you take the time to read the link, you will find several other hdmi splitter's that might be good enough for your needs.

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Mon Sep 01, 2014 2:47 pm

Thanks, I did read, but while trying to wrap my head around the best way to run the switch and which to get I just wanted to throw out the possibility of a new card. I'm going to try splitting it first. I really wouldn't need a switch would I? Just a splitter going to both TV's?

dotbatman

Post by dotbatman » Tue Sep 02, 2014 12:27 pm

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9 ... UTF8&psc=1

I use this. It works great. No more handshake problems for me.

koberhol

Post by koberhol » Tue Sep 02, 2014 1:36 pm

lucasbuck wrote:Thanks for the replies. I did run the digital advisor again.
I wasn't referring to "digital advisor". I said "Activate Digital Cable". These are 2 completely different things.

My other thought is your cabling. Make sure it meets your intent! If you have no need for 3D or ARC then make sure your HMDI cable is 1.3 certified. If you want 3D and ARC then 1.4. It also sounds like you are trying to run HDMI at a long distance which makes it even more important you are using certified cable. I had some cheaper HDMI cable and couldn't even get 2 screens to run with 20 ft of combined length. With a good HDMI cable my systems has 50ft between the receiver and screen. Lastly I have found that many receivers and video cards will have 2 display outputs that run off the same amped port so total cable length is critical. With that type of configuration I think a 50ft total (port1 + port2) length HDMI is about as far as it gets with 1.4a certified cable. But here again it's all about all the components involved as to max distance. Otherwise you will need some of the equipment others have mentioned above.

koberhol

Post by koberhol » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:04 pm

I also found this thread that talks about how running digital cable advisor won't always finish properly with writing the digital activation key to wmc.

http://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/wind ... ddb8b9ba26

spanner

Post by spanner » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:20 pm

dotbatman wrote:http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004F9 ... UTF8&psc=1

I use this. It works great. No more handshake problems for me.
For what its worth I also used this splitter with perfect results until eventually i got a receiver with dual hdmi outs, good price and it worked with 3d for me

koberhol

Post by koberhol » Tue Sep 02, 2014 2:40 pm

lucasbuck wrote: The card has an hdmi and a dvi (which is going to a converter plug).
Is your dvi adapter passive or active. If it's not an active adapter I believe you won't have proper handshaking of the copy protect signal.

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Wed Sep 03, 2014 2:44 am

Thanks for all the replies. I'm using the mediabridge and bluerigger cables, which have good ratings. The DVI adapter is just the regular plug type adapter. I have a monoprice splitter that I was going to use to send the xbox to two different tv's. As soon as the new short HDMI patch cables I ordered get here, I'll try that.

Right now I'm just running 1 TV. When I just turned it on I saw a flash of 'not HDCP' compliant, but when the TV kicked in, it tuned. Does the TV have to be on for the handshake? And if so, how does that affect recordings while the TV is off? Again, really appreciate the input guys.