HTPC Specs: Show details

W7 Ultimate - x64 - Extenders = Video Files missing

Post by cKuR6 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 2:24 pm

Setup InfiniTV6 Ethernet, TWC Cablecard, 2 echos, 1 xbox. HTPC WMC is
working, Live TV & RECORDING. The extenders see HTPC WMC. I can view
Recordings list, Guide, and all metadata on extenders. Extenders will
not play Recorded TV or Live TV. Getting the infamous Video Error -
files needed are missing ...... I have tried every solution found on
forums, ceton site, windows support sites. Nothing changes the status.

HTPC setup:
CPU-Phenom II X4 965 Black AM3 3.4Ghz 512KB 45NM 125W 4000MHZ

Motherboard-A780L3G
Graphics-PCIe GEForce 9500GT
RAM-Crucial 4GB DDR3 1066
Hard Drives- Main Data= F: Barracuda 1TB 3.0Gbs 7200RPM // Windows &
Main Programs= C: OCZ 60GB SSD // Seagate Backup Plus USB connected to
N750 Router= H (nothing now, expected to use as WMC storage but found
another issue here....)
Optical Drive- LG DVD & Some junk ripped from a stock machine for now

OS- Ubuntu 11.04 x64 Dual Boot W7 ULTIMATE x64
Monitors- 2-HP2031 20" WS
Power- Zeuss 650W
Case - Antec 200

Network: TWC 50 - Netgear WNDR400 N750, Coax wired through
Channelmasters. I have no network issues. Even my slowest connection
(Sony Blu Ray for Netflix), sees 13.4 at its lowest times and streams
fine.

What is missing from the HTPC to allow streaming these video files?
There are thousands of ideas online, Shark007 codecs seemed to be the
major successful tweak, but were tried, no joy.

As stated I tried all the other recommendations from changing sound
settings to showering upside down while removing my firewall..... All
drivers were updated and tested rolled back, no joy. Media streaming is
turned on everywhere.

If I go into WMP on HTPC, I can PLAY TO the extenders. However, I only
recv sound. Video is blank. I can play music and my pictures on my
extenders, not Live or Recorded TV. Network diagnostics shows connection
rates as much higher than needed for HDTV.

Really hoping someone can help out here. I've spent almost $600 on a
supposed plug in solution that has cost me 6 hrs already and still
doesn't work. Thank you in advance.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Thu Aug 28, 2014 4:56 pm

cKuR6 wrote: Network: TWC 50 - Netgear WNDR400 N750, Coax wired through
Channelmasters. I have no network issues. Even my slowest connection
(Sony Blu Ray for Netflix), sees 13.4 at its lowest times and streams
fine.
13.4 what? Mbps? That's too slow for TV. You need at least 20 Mbps per HD stream.

With InifniTV6 ETH, you have to have gigabit, 1000 Mbps, since all 6 channels (120 Mbps) will saturate 100 Mbps line leaving no room for overhead.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Aug 28, 2014 8:27 pm

^ and a couple other idea's for you.

-Dual monitors on the HTPC sometimes screw thing up. Disconnect one of them and try the extenders again.
-Realtek NIC's have some known issues with HTPC's. Go get the drivers from the Realtek site.

Do you have the HTPC, Echo's, and Xbox plugged into the router? Ideally they all should be plugged into the same Gig switch.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:38 am

I have TWC 50 with the full house wired and only 2 quality
splitters. All the network diagnostics and the tuner optimization say I
have more than enough to stream HD.

The system has been tested in real world applications ... Voip in use,
connections with two ROKU 3's (streaming HD), PC on and processing
internet surfing, 8.1 Wireless laptop (streaming HD), Sony Blu Ray
(streaming Prime), HD Smart TV (streaming Netflix SUPERHD), an xbox, and
3DS all playing, ipod connected web surfing, saw no hiccups, slow
downs, or reduced quality in picture. My network is fine.

The device previously mentioned normally sees 28-34Mbps, but at its
LOWEST is 13.4 and still streams HD Fine. At two in the morning, with
nothing else on, I'm certain the echos were not failing because of slow
connections.

crash, the xbox and one echo are both plugged into a channelmaster moca device in the same room. the other echo is in a different part of the house on another channelmaster. i'll attempt your other suggestions now. thanks

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:08 am

cKuR6 wrote: crash, the xbox and one echo are both plugged into a channelmaster moca device in the same room. the other echo is in a different part of the house on another channelmaster. i'll attempt your other suggestions now. thanks
That might be where the problem is. I have zero experience with moca devices. the suggestion of everything on the same gig switch, not sure how you apply that rule to moca. Theres gotta be some way to tie it all together.

BTW no griping about $$$ until you spent thousands. :lol: :lol: :lol:

Scallica and Slowbiscuit seem to have success with moca. If they are around maybe they will chime in. Or, you can PM them from User Control Panel.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:16 am

I have three young sons and a wife.... unfortunately, my thousands don't get to go to my toys these days..... I know 600 isn't technically a lot, especially with tech these days... just saying i spent more than I needed to, to save time and wife annoyance. "hey babe, I have this great new way to put that $60 we pay to TWC each month for boxes into our own pocket... BUT you'll now have to wait three months for me to figure out how to make it work". :oops:

Updated Realtek driver from site and disconnected second monitor. still the same error.

all my other devices stream HD fine. I don't understand why these devices would all need plugged into the same switch, but I would assume they technically are. the modem sends the network into the channelmaster by the router, then that connects to the coax. That coax then goes into a 4 way splitter. the lines for both echos come straight out of that and have no other splitters in between. I don't have an easy way to move a tv to the router or i would try one plugged straight into it.

edit.... you know.... i have the infiniTV6 getting its feed from a MoCA device. I can't see where that'd be an issue, since I get everything fine on the HTPC.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:21 am

Have you tried this one yet? http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 394#p43394 I know it sounds weird, sound adjustment for a video error message.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:58 pm

cKuR6 wrote:crash, the xbox and one echo are both plugged into a channelmaster moca device in the same room. the other echo is in a different part of the house on another channelmaster.
As a test, I would temporarily connect your extenders directly to your switch and see if the message appears. If the error messages continues to appear, you know the issue is not with MoCA.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:01 pm

Yes, unfortunately, I've tried that. I'd be real surprised if there is a thread somewhere with suggestions I've not tried. I search extensively before reaching out. Really appreciate you trying the same. Ceton seems to be stating I need to reinstall windows. Claimed my security and third party apps were causing the problem. I've never had an issue connecting to anything in my network, or running safe items. Not real happy with the first step being lower security and reinstall. I've checked that their software and the echos are fully allowed. I have also tried with security shut off. I also don't run a lot of third party items. I have ad aware and wot on my browser. I have handbrake, some camera software, and audacity on my PC. Other than shark 007, that is it. None of these should be an issue for streaming wmc.

After three attempts, I got their diagnostic tool to successfully create a file for analysis. We will see how that goes. Whatever the solution, ill be sure to post it. Still hoping a guru here will find this and know the hidden answers.

Ill see if I can move one of our smaller tv's down to the router this weekend. My monitors do not have hdmi. Good suggestion.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 3:31 pm

Ceton has always given me good advice. Sometimes it's a bitter pill.

Not sure if this is just dancing around the issue, but, have you tried SFC ? Restore ? Re-Image ?

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 9:25 pm

Not the case here. Had me completely uninstall my firewall. Of course that did nothing. Had me install a bunch of hot fixes, for issues I've never had. Had me update their software, which didn't update anything because I just installed this junk two days ago. And a bunch of other settings I already had. So when I replied that none of it worked and RCA now says my graphics don't ssupport content protection, they replied with the same email asking me to do all the same crap again.

If I can see tv and record on the htcp, how do I fix the echos so thy support content protection? My video card isn't actually displaying this extended session is it? I've update both my nvidia 9500gt, and removed it and tried the onboard radeon 3000. Same dca response.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:12 am

cKuR6 wrote:If I can see tv and record on the htcp, how do I fix the echos so thy support content protection? My video card isn't actually displaying this extended session is it? I've update both my nvidia 9500gt, and removed it and tried the onboard radeon 3000. Same dca response.
Are you saying the echo's are plugged into a non HDCP compliant display? If so plug them into something with HDMI. Go get a cheap 1080 tv from Walmart, take it back after you get this working. I think maybe they can be tricked into compliance with a special adapter.

Yes, that's the whole trick about extenders. Your computer is doing the playing. It's the only way to see protected content in another location. That's why it has to be compliant. No compliant no play.

They said your 9500 gt is non compliant too. I've been using this one for a couple years http://www.amazon.com/XFX-Radeon-6770-V ... on+hd+6770 as I recall, I had to upgrade the power supply for it. Everybody has their favorite.

Are you failing the Digital Cable Advisor. Here is the Override to get you by until you upgrade. http://missingremote.com/guide/override ... a-center-7

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 12:31 am

The echos are plugged in via hdmi to two lg tv's. it is the video card that I assumed was non compliant. I am confused as to why I would be able to see tv on the PC though, if the card was the issue. I can see and record tv on the PC, not the extenders. I tried the missing remote, no joy. Just got back from getting a new GeForce from best buy, which says hdcp compliant on the packaging. Hooked her up, updated the driver, rebooted and my load screen says error loading OS..... Im about ready to stick with Netflix and prime and chuck the rest of this stuff. My pc was perfect until I started doing all the junk ceton suggested. I believe I remember something about nvidia not playing with my CPU. About to go research that now.

Edit: boot order reset to my hdd data drive. Crash, yes. Dca fails on the echos, but passes on the PC. Explain that one.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:32 am

Now that you got the gforce in there the extender accounts are probably all no good anymore. Remove all extenders through WMC/Settings/Extender Right-click then select Uninstall. Shut down HTPC and extenders. (cold boot, discharge residual power, etc.) Go back in to WMC\Settings\ TV Signal\Update PlayReady. Do the DCA again, just for giggles, then reboot. When you come back on install 1 extender.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 1:49 am

Good process, you'd think that would work but the echos still say does not support protected content.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:01 am

cKuR6 wrote:Good process, you'd think that would work but the echos still say does not support protected content.
Exactly what does echo 1 say? and does it say this while you have 1 or 2 monitors connected to the HTPC?

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:28 am

I never plugged second monitor back in. Figured i'd stick with your suggestion until all other bugs are corrected, then try dual monitors again.

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 2:56 am

Play ready is not an option in that directory you listed. Just uninstalled everything. Unplugged everything. Reset wmc. Installed the ceton tools, ran dca. Again, it says the PC is good. Dl'd the ceton echo settings add on. Reinstalled and am now headed to check the echo round 25.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:02 am

cKuR6 wrote:Play ready is not an option in that directory you listed. Just uninstalled everything. Unplugged everything. Reset WMC. Installed the ceton tools, ran dca. Again, it says the PC is good. Dl'd the ceton echo settings add on. Reinstalled and am now headed to check the echo round 25.
You gotta have PlayReady. If it's not there, download it manually http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/download ... x?id=21772
Attachments
PlayReady001.jpg

cKuR6

Post by cKuR6 » Sat Aug 30, 2014 3:43 am

Play ready for amdx64 dl'd and installed. Still doesn't show after complete shutdown. Echo still fails. At this point I look like a total dip..... Carrying the PC around so my wife can watch shows she recorded three days ago. I've never had this much trouble with anything. And that is coming from a guy who pays no one to do his work. Car hasn't been to a mechanic since I was 19, build my own stuff, install it, blah blah. This is bat crazy. We just moved. If I can find my windows disc tomorrow, then ill fresh install. if not, looks like I'm going tablo or prime. I really appreciate all your input on this.