JP1 remotes.....give it a try!

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
3rob3

HTPC Specs: Show details

JP1 remotes.....give it a try!

Post by 3rob3 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:32 am

After reading many of mdavej's posts about JP1 remotes I finally gave it a try. Why did I wait so long?! I started off on this all because I got a Roku and wanted to easily switch inputs. I started off with this method but never got it 100% reliable:
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=7&t=7564
I kept seeing mdavej here and on AVS discussing JP1 and was intrigued so found a good deal on the Insignia remote ($8) on eBay, and built a JP1 cable ($20) using this:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/forums/dload ... e_id=10864
It is a little daunting because there is a bit of a learning curve but if you are interested start here:
http://www.hifi-remote.com/wiki/index.p ... IR_Version

You basically find and download a config file for each of your components (in my case TV, soundbar, Roku, MCE version 2), modify them if you wish, assign them to a device (button) on your remote, then upload them. All in all took me maybe 1 hour to have a perfectly configured remote that controls all my devices and is laid out very similarly to the Microsft remote. Plus if I want another I can now replicate that remote to another in just a few seconds. I am by no means an expert but was able to figure out what to do to accomplish exactly what I wanted. Give it a try!

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:27 am

I could also churn my own butter and slaughter my own hogs, but...

You spent $28. I spent $29 and got a Logitech Harmony 300. Have you ever used the Harmony system? For the same money and in five minutes I have a perfectly onfigured remote that controls all my devices and is laid out to my satisfaction. And I can replicate that remote quickly.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:26 am

I can't stand Harmony's layout, but I'm very happy for you. Thought I would give another option for people. Think I am about done with this forum.....

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:15 am

3rob3 wrote:I can't stand Harmony's layout, but I'm very happy for you. Thought I would give another option for people. Think I am about done with this forum.....
Don't let one naysayers get you down. Glad to see another convert. Others can keep their Harmony 300's with one measly macro, 4 devices and no sequences. With JP1 you have unlimited macros, unlimited devices, pronto hex import, nested macros, variables and conditional branching, 5 functions per button (short press, long press, double, shifted and double shifted) and good programming software that gives you complete control over every aspect of your remote, unlike myharmony. Plus you don't have to trudge through those stupid wizards, and upload/download takes about 3 seconds instead of 3 minutes. I can make a change to my config, download and test it before you could even log in to myharmony. Plus I can keep as many versions of my config locally as I want. If I replace my remote with a new one, I'm back up and running in 3 seconds.

BTW, price of entry for a JP1 remote tons better than a 300 is only about $3 plus $8 for the cable. No need to build a cable anymore, although it is a satisfying project. For $25 you can get a JP1 remote better than the old Harmony 900, including the cable, no assembly required. That model is the Xsight Touch, which has quite a few fans around this forum.

Adam, if you've used JP1 in the past and found it too much work, things have changed a lot since then. No more spreadsheets or soldering. It's pretty much plug and play now.

I've been a JP1 user since long before Harmony existed, and it still amazes me what can be done with a $3 remote and our fantastic software. I agree it isn't for everyone, but folks around here who build their own computers would really love it I think.

spanner

Post by spanner » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:35 am

thanks for the post, I have a dying harmony 880 which has served me well, but now has some buttons that have failed. I will take a closer look at this JP1

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:48 am

I'm sure some Harmony's are OK, but the old 550 I have has outlived its usefulness. The volume and channel buttons are difficult to use because they are difficult to tell apart by feel. They're all smooth & flat.

I bought an RCA RCRP05B which mdavej recommended & it works like a charm. Paid about $10 on sale at a big box store. So far I have not built or used a JP1 cable because the remote does everything I want it to with the extra programming capability.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:18 pm

Well I am glad someone got some usefulness out of the post. It is just unbelievable to me to get blasted for trying to share/contribute something on a forum.

This is the remote I went with, it is very solid, backlit, with a nice layout and size:
My favorite thing about my new setup is having the TV power, TV input, and volume control "punched-through" so that no matter what device I am on I can change those without having to switch devices first. And yes, I spent $28 for a remote (which I think is worth it), but from here on out and I can keep buying $6-$8 remotes for additional TVs or replacements.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:27 pm

I'm shocked that in this day and age *anyone* expresses surprise in any way about the existence of punch-through buttons like that.

In 1986, yeah. Not so much today.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 3:33 pm

You know, why do you even take time to write negative posts that add nothing to the conversation.

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:11 pm

3rob3 wrote:...Think I am about done with this forum.....
3rob3, please take what adam1991 states with robust aplomb. Each members comments are most certainly not the general consensus. The solution for one may not suit another.

Thank you for contributing and I for one appreciated your detailed information. I use a Harmony One to flick between sources / run a few macros and abhor the programming interface and indeed it's logic in use. Other options are most certainly post worthy and I am always looking for them.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

STC

Post by STC » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:17 pm

adam1991 wrote:I'm shocked that in this day and age *anyone* expresses surprise in any way about the existence of punch-through buttons like that...

Continue to be shocked :shock:

We have three 'throw between the cushions' MCE remotes that we use extensively for our HTPC and two extenders whilst inside the six foot interface.
WAF is no issue.
You don't have to wonder if you left it on the charging cradle or if you are sitting on it. For our family a button remote is by far the best couch potato use-and-abuse remote in existence.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Fri Aug 22, 2014 4:23 pm

I have five remotes (yes five is my magic number!) that I use on the main PC/TV. I like watching my 1yr old grab the correct remote that he wants me to do. I am amazed at how kids know these things at such an early age! But I too like 3rob3's post I may look into the Xsight thing-a-majig. Thanks 3rob3. Don't leave us unless you are going to DirectTV or Tivo. If that's the case no one can blame you.

spanner

Post by spanner » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:35 pm

mdavej wrote:For $25 you can get a JP1 remote better than the old Harmony 900, including the cable, no assembly required. That model is the Xsight Touch, which has quite a few fans around this forum.
mdavej
I will be looking into this as my replacement, but I am not seeing it for 25 bucks. where would it be found for that price ?

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 12:26 am

Ebay I would assume. Just got to find the right deal. The remote I got is going for $14-$17 there now but I got it for $8 shipped.

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Sat Aug 23, 2014 4:22 am

spanner wrote:
mdavej wrote:For $25 you can get a JP1 remote better than the old Harmony 900, including the cable, no assembly required. That model is the Xsight Touch, which has quite a few fans around this forum.
mdavej
I will be looking into this as my replacement, but I am not seeing it for 25 bucks. where would it be found for that price ?
Appear to be $27 and up at the moment.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_nkw=arrx18g+-battery

I'm tempted myself, but if I buy any more, my wife will divorce me. The market is pretty much flooded, so you don't really even have to search for deals.

I share Adam's shock about VPT cluelessness. But I'm more shocked that people will spend $100 for a Harmony to get it and get "activities", not realizing their free cable TV remote already does it just fine.

And you don't have to even use a JP1 cable or software to benefit from it. Just learning all the programming tricks you can do on the remote itself will get you pretty far. Macros, VPT, shifted functions, any function on any button, every function for any device, all can be done without a cable or software. It's just that a cable and software make the task much easier.

That Insignia remote you posted is my all time favorite traditional JP1 remote. Xsight is also a favorite, but it's in a different class since it has a touchscreen, RF and all of that. Nothing can touch it for $25 or whatever the going price is. You'd have to spend at least $200 on a Harmony equivalent.

A lot of JP1 is about the experience of squeezing every ounce of performance out of very cheap and simple hardware and about being to control every single bit in the remote to make it do anything you want. If that doesn't appeal to you, then stick with Harmony. I have several Harmonys in my closet because JP1 simply outperforms them in nearly every respect and at a fraction of the cost.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 1:32 pm

Where in this thread was anyone "shocked" or "surprised" about volume punch through? The Microsoft MCE remote I am replacing had that (in effect).

STC

Post by STC » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:10 pm

mdavej wrote:...But I'm more shocked that people will spend $100 for a Harmony to get it and get "activities", not realizing their free cable TV remote already does it just fine...
I spit out some non standard IR protocols from my Harmony which controls some of our home automation (X10/Insteon etc.)

I'm now shocked some of you are shocked :D It's shocking!

We all have different requirements and processes to control. The Harmony fits my criteria for whole home control especially for WAF. She wouldn't be able to understand for instance that pressing the DVD button then play would turn the lights on in the hall. It all has to be labelled for what it does and a screen is the only way.

As already stated for general MC use we use a button remote and throw it around the room.

Not so shocking now hopefully? ;)

/edited

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 2:25 pm

LOL, that was good!

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:16 pm

What's the newest or best model of the Insignia remote? I did see several different models on Ebay which looked similar but had different model numbers. Is there a preferred model number?

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 3:27 pm

NS-RC02U-10A