Microsoft announces Xbox One TV tuner for Europe

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
Ed 

HTPC Specs: Show details

Microsoft announces Xbox One TV tuner for Europe

Post by Ed  » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:32 pm

RyC

Post by RyC » Thu Aug 07, 2014 5:45 pm

Bum bum bum...

Looks like you can pause live TV, but there's still no recording capabilities.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Thu Aug 07, 2014 6:13 pm

RyC wrote:Bum bum bum...

Looks like you can pause live TV, but there's still no recording capabilities.
All that takes is a software update. A day ago the complaints would be 'no TV tuner support, period'. Give it time. :thumbup:

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Aug 07, 2014 8:40 pm

A step in the right direction at least.....
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Sat Aug 09, 2014 7:54 pm

holidayboy wrote:A step in the right direction at least.....
Really? £375 for a single tuner live TV player. If only the same wasn't available for £15 from Asda.

(Other supermarkets are available :) )
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sun Aug 10, 2014 6:28 am

Of course I didn't say how big the step was, or whether it was likely to be followed by two backwards ones!
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue Aug 12, 2014 1:54 pm

Looks like XBox made several media-centered announcements for the Xbox One...
http://www.engadget.com/2014/08/12/xbox ... -features/

Some interesting points:
1) now supporting media streaming as a DLNA box, with many file formats, more than the 360. (Wait, it didn't do this already? Can you really keep calling this thing the 'one'?)
2) Boot directly to TV
3) Smartglass TV Streaming
4) Repeat mentioning of the european TV Tuner.

I would say these are all steps in the right direction to truly make it something that could replace Media Center. I would hope that its only a matter of time before they start streaming the HDHomerun Prime... and from there, someone at Microsoft will realize that they could maybe even record TV on this thing!

<Crossing fingers><Still waiting for a decent WMC replacement>
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:08 pm

They feel the AndroidTV breathing down their backs. Cool deal now they just need to make it record, lower the power consumption, and make it $99 bucks.

Diverge

Post by Diverge » Tue Aug 12, 2014 5:28 pm

Everyone should post comments to his blog post asking for WMC :D

http://majornelson.com/2014/08/12/kicki ... ming-soon/

MrNorth

Post by MrNorth » Wed Aug 13, 2014 6:33 am

The biggest problem I have with this new update is that once again MS falls a few yards short of the target. Sure, freeview is fine, but to really appeal to the masses I really think they should have released a slightly more expensive tuner with built in CI+ support. I am not surehow it is in the rest of Europe, but in Sweden, freeview sucks. You really need a CAM to get some decent sports and movies. Not many people I know of use the freeview as their primary source of TV. DVB-T2 is HUGE in Sweden, but I guess 90% of the viewers use a CI+ module in their TV or set top box.

Why MS, Why? Not even in the days of WMC could you provide decent CI support. Luckily there where 3rd party suppliers like Digital Everywhere that could provide us with tuner cards that worked reliably with a CI module and WMC (and with a little help of their own software).

If you release this product in Sweden, people will ask "where do I put the card?". When they realize it doesn't have a CI+ slot, they will just yawn and move on.

What are the chances of any 3d party can make a XBONE compatible tuner WITH CI+? They have to get it certified obviously... but that can't be a problem since every crappy set top box and tv set that sells in Sweden has that certification.

/H

Bryan

Post by Bryan » Wed Aug 13, 2014 3:24 pm

To be honest, the console launched less than a year ago. In a perfect world, it (and likely the PS4) would have stayed in development for another year or so, but that doesn't really happen anymore. Personally, I think they're doing a heck of a job with the monthly updates, and while I don't use mine a ton, it has gotten quite a bit better since I got it in December. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this tuner is just the first baby step. I'm also not yet discouraged that they're supporting .mkv but not .wtv yet. I may gripe about that in a year, but it's a good start.

That said, I would love if it could use network tuners and play recordings!

MrNorth

Post by MrNorth » Mon Aug 18, 2014 7:26 am

Bryan wrote:To be honest, the console launched less than a year ago. In a perfect world, it (and likely the PS4) would have stayed in development for another year or so, but that doesn't really happen anymore. Personally, I think they're doing a heck of a job with the monthly updates, and while I don't use mine a ton, it has gotten quite a bit better since I got it in December. I wouldn't be surprised at all if this tuner is just the first baby step. I'm also not yet discouraged that they're supporting .mkv but not .wtv yet. I may gripe about that in a year, but it's a good start.

That said, I would love if it could use network tuners and play recordings!

Yes, hopefully this might be true. Still, I wonder why they

1) Didn't release a tuner WITH Ci+ from the beginning. Surely it is the CI-module that is expensive, not the slot itself. Then people could from the beginning decide on what to use. Sure, this might be a software thingie, considering that WMC7 didn't support CI+ either... for reasons I am unsure of.

2) Why not release a decent remote fro the beginning? The original WMC XP remote is by far the best remote I have ever used, hands down. It has all the buttons to be expected from a PVR-remote. Why MS released the minimalized remote for XBONE is a mystery... especially considering they are releasing the TV-tuner now. All reviews about the remote says it is fine... BUT lacks numeric buttons, quick buttons for tv guide etc... ALL the things the original remote already have.

Fingers crossed, things will improve! Hopefully we will see some on demand apps as well for the xbone...

/S