Automatically plays whatever was "now playing" when it wakes

stefoid

HTPC Specs: Show details

Automatically plays whatever was "now playing" when it wakes

Post by stefoid » Tue Jul 29, 2014 6:32 am

Does anyone know how to stop this? Im pretty sure it didn't always happen, but its starting to drive me crazy.

Basically Ill be watching something, and it will end or I will press STOP and then put the pc to sleep.

When I wake it up again, whatever it was is now playing again.

This is an issue because

a) its annoying, takes longer for the PC to wake from sleep, and
b) the 'black screen' on wake issue is much more prevalent if the PC wakes when playing something. In fact I might go as far to say as waking while trying to play something is the cause of the black screen.

Does anyone else have this issue and/or know how to fix it>

cheers

Steve

breakthestatic

Post by breakthestatic » Tue Jul 29, 2014 9:30 pm

It might not be the most elegant solution, but I use EventGhost to kill wmc on the sleep event, and re run it on wake up. Originally I did this to alleviate some HDMI handshake issues I was having, but it also resolved the issue you're describing as well. If you don't want to run EventGhost just for that, you can also use the MCE Standby Tool. It has some settings that do the same thing. I happen to use EventGhost for lots of other things, so in my case I didn't want to run another app to handle what EG already could. Let me know if you need any more info regarding the setup.

stefoid

Post by stefoid » Wed Jul 30, 2014 12:49 am

I guess MS just doesn't care any more if you have to run a 3rd party tool just to get the thing to wake properly.

Ill look up this standby tool - I guess all that needs to happen is that 'now playing' is cleared when the machine goes to sleep.

On a side note, I had immense amounts of pain migrating my system partition on a dying HDD to a small SSD last night. Couldn't believe how many hoops I had to jump through - suffice to say in the end, a free tool called DriveClone was the way to go, if anyone is interested. Using W7s System Image backup was just a colossal waste of time.