Recorded TV crashes, live TV fine

mmckenzie

HTPC Specs: Show details

Recorded TV crashes, live TV fine

Post by mmckenzie » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:05 pm

Fairly new to WMC. I'm running into an issue that I can't figure out.

Live TV plays fine. Some recorded shows play fine as well. Some recorded shows will crash WMC. WMC will restart automatically, If I try to play the show again, it will crash again.

Recording from HD HomeRun Prime. HDMI from motherboard (MSI A88X-G43) connected direct to TV. AMD A8 CPU. Latest AMD Catalyst Control Center drivers from AMD website.

Oddities I have observed:

1) Never have a problem with live tv.
2) I can watch a show while its being recorded and it plays fine. Watch the recording of it and it might fail.
3) I can play the same recorded show in Windows Media Player on the same setup and it plays without a problem.

Any help would be greatly appreciated (wife is quickly losing patience....).

kmp14

Post by kmp14 » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:15 pm

Here is a real guess, although I don't know if it would explain Live working and recorded not: What are your Windows settings for sound (Stereo, 5.1, etc) vs. your setting in WMC (in the WMC Setup under "Set Up your Speakers" or something like that).

Elsewhere in the forums there were experiments related to the interaction between those 2 places to configure sound, and I have a rough recollection that if both Windows and WMC are set to 5.1, and you watch Dolby Digital 5.1 content in WMC it would crash. Again this is a ROUGH memory, and may not be 100% accurate, but maybe that would help? Would maybe explain why some content (stereo?) is ok while some (DD 5.1?) crashes WMC???

mmckenzie

Post by mmckenzie » Mon Jul 21, 2014 9:48 pm

Thanks, I will check that out when I get home.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 3:45 pm

It looks like you don't have copy protected content, so I don't think the sound settings will help you. But you can try it.

I think it's more likely to be a video driver issue, but I don't know enough about AMD video drivers to help you. Perhaps if you search around the forums you will find the recommended driver versions. The "latest" drivers are often not the best for Media Center.

mmckenzie

Post by mmckenzie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 4:36 pm

I did play with the sound settings last night, did not seem to make a difference.

My current AMD Catalyst Control Center version is: 13.152-130830a-162123C-Rage_6.

I'll do some searching for AMD video drivers, thanks.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jul 22, 2014 5:14 pm

Check out this post:
look at post #6

mmckenzie

Post by mmckenzie » Tue Jul 22, 2014 10:55 pm

Thanks, I had seen that post after I followed your advise and searched for AMD video drivers. I remoted into my PC and installed the 14.4 version of the driver. I'll be checking it out when I get home.

Fingers crossed....