Poor Reception / No Signal

Help with tuners from ATI, Hauppauge, AverMedia and more.
indyjonesuk

HTPC Specs: Show details

Poor Reception / No Signal

Post by indyjonesuk » Sun Oct 16, 2011 9:48 pm

Hi all,

My HTPC all of a sudden started having TV reception issues a couple of weeks ago and has gradually gotten worse to the point where I can no longer watch/record anything. So I thought I would join up to the no. 1 MCE community for some help :)

Its a windows x64 build with a blackgold and a Hauppauge 2200 DVB-T tuner cards. It started with just the BBC channels and moved on to everything else. This weekend I have reinstalled windows (a X86 build), bought a masthead amplifier for the aerial, then just now reinstalled a X64 build. Now since connecting up the masthead amplifier it finds more digital channels and finds them quicker but they still break up when I try and watch them. When connecting my HDTV up directly it plays TV back fine and even has a signal strength of 'good.'

Now other than reinstalling windows I have tried to disable the cards one at a time, then rebooting and trying again, but it still results in a broken picture.

My spec off the top of my head is a Intel core dual system with a Nvidia 9600GT, the two TV cards, 4GB of ram, and a ASUS HDAV1.3 deluxe audio card, its a gigabyte mainboard.

If anyone has any suggestions on what I can try next it will be much appreciated, I am running out of ideas fast :(

Cheers

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:26 am

You need to obtain a precise reading of your signal strength. In Media Center, go to Tasks-->Settings-->TV-->TV Signal-->Digital Tuner Diagnostics and post your Signal Level and SNR.
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

indyjonesuk

Post by indyjonesuk » Mon Oct 17, 2011 7:08 am

Scallica wrote:You need to obtain a precise reading of your signal strength. In Media Center, go to Tasks-->Settings-->TV-->TV Signal-->Digital Tuner Diagnostics and post your Signal Level and SNR.
That sounds like it would be useful, but I don`t have that option :( only "scan for more channels" and "setup tv signal" would post a screen shot but can`t see an option for attachments.

Just read up for it and it seems you can only do this with ATSC tuners not DVB-T tuners which is what I am running :(

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:20 am

Media Centre's DVB-T signal strength reporting is next to useless anyway, so don't worry about that.

Has your local transmitter gone through the digital transition recently? Or another transmitter nearby, or in line with your aerial?
Windows Media Centre - Abandoned by Microsoft

indyjonesuk

Post by indyjonesuk » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:27 am

mark1234 wrote:Media Centre's DVB-T signal strength reporting is next to useless anyway, so don't worry about that.

Has your local transmitter gone through the digital transition recently? Or another transmitter nearby, or in line with your aerial?

I don't think so, you mean the analouge shut off? I was getting it all fine a few weeks ago, the weird thing is I can get a picture on the HDTV okay using its internal tuner, I guess the PC ones are more sensative? TBH I am a but stumped as it seems really unlikely both cards will die at the same time.

All I can think of trying next is taking the box next door and trying on my neighbours arieal, or physically removing the cards one at a time.
Everything else was working OK; watching recorderd tv (recored before the issues), or watching a movie (either digital or bluray).

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:32 am

Yes, it's the analogue switch off I mean. Which transmitter do you use?

TV tuners are generally better than PC ones. I don't know if they use better quality components, or if they are shielded better, or what.

indyjonesuk

Post by indyjonesuk » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:41 am

mark1234 wrote:Yes, it's the analogue switch off I mean. Which transmitter do you use?

TV tuners are generally better than PC ones. I don't know if they use better quality components, or if they are shielded better, or what.
Not sure there are few around me and the arieal was set up before we moved in, I am on the Isle of Wight and the transmitters around me are Ventnor, Rowridge and Fawley, I think its the Rowridge one though anyway I can check ?

According to http://www.digitaluk.co.uk/when_do_i_switch the Meridian area has not switched yet.

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:51 am

OK, so switchover isn't the issue. Those transmitters don't convert until Feb/March next year.

If you enter your postcode here www.ukfree.tv then it will tell you which transmitter you're likely to be using and by then looking which way your aerial points you can check it's correct. Once you're certain which transmitter you're using you can check the frequencies that Media Centre is using are the correct ones for that transmitter.

As to why it would have changed, it could be due to the background scanning that Media Centre does. I've had it add frequencies from spurious transmitters in the past and have ended up just turning off the background scanning.

Fleadh

Post by Fleadh » Mon Oct 17, 2011 11:53 am

Id be wary of water ingress in the cables, I had this issue and it took ages to find the source.

I also had an issue with my cables at he back of my tv touching off some power leads which caused severe breakup. seperating these cables away from the others helped a lot.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Mon Oct 17, 2011 12:21 pm

Have you also contacted Hauppauge support?

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/support ... ntact.html
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

indyjonesuk

Post by indyjonesuk » Mon Oct 17, 2011 1:13 pm

mark1234 wrote:OK, so switchover isn't the issue. Those transmitters don't convert until Feb/March next year.

If you enter your postcode here http://www.ukfree.tv then it will tell you which transmitter you're likely to be using and by then looking which way your aerial points you can check it's correct. Once you're certain which transmitter you're using you can check the frequencies that Media Centre is using are the correct ones for that transmitter.

As to why it would have changed, it could be due to the background scanning that Media Centre does. I've had it add frequencies from spurious transmitters in the past and have ended up just turning off the background scanning.
Ahh OK I have rescanned a dozen times and its always the same result, but will look into this tonight when back at home.
Fleadh wrote:Id be wary of water ingress in the cables, I had this issue and it took ages to find the source.

I also had an issue with my cables at he back of my tv touching off some power leads which caused severe breakup. seperating these cables away from the others helped a lot.
No chance of water ingress its all internal (including the arieal in the loft), but there is a real mess of wires behind there is just too much stuff :D I have also got some new leads which are better sheilded which I tried also (though did not help).
Scallica wrote:Have you also contacted Hauppauge support?

http://www.hauppauge.co.uk/site/support ... ntact.html
Not yet but my blackgold card is doing exactly the samething too

Thanks for all of the help/ suggestions so far seems like a good fourm :)

tony_park

Post by tony_park » Mon Oct 17, 2011 3:30 pm

Hi,

I didn't notice in your updates, whether you have tried using the manufacturers software? If not, could be worth trying this to see if its an MC problem, or a tuner problem.

There is an option to remove the background scanning that has been mentioned, that will also help reduce the load on your pc...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\BackgroundScanner]
"PeriodicScanEnabled"=dword:00000000

HTH
Tony

indyjonesuk

Post by indyjonesuk » Mon Oct 17, 2011 5:54 pm

tony_park wrote:Hi,

I didn't notice in your updates, whether you have tried using the manufacturers software? If not, could be worth trying this to see if its an MC problem, or a tuner problem.

There is an option to remove the background scanning that has been mentioned, that will also help reduce the load on your pc...

[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Media Center\Service\BackgroundScanner]
"PeriodicScanEnabled"=dword:00000000

HTH
Tony
Tried wintv but that it not much better :(

the regedit did not help either :(

indyjonesuk

Post by indyjonesuk » Tue Oct 18, 2011 8:51 am

Right after another late night last night I am pleased to say its now working and the problem seemed to be a combination of things; firstly reception has dropped in our area as neighbours are also getting issues, secondly the Hauppauge card's co-axial socket was not engaging very well and need adjusting with some pliers and some tape. Not happy at all with their build quality espically on the premium you pay for their products :x
After swapping though a pile of co-axial leads I finally got decent reception, some leads worked better than other and I found a combination that worked, weird but not going to question it :)
I think now we only just have suffcient signal strength and if it drops again then we will need a new aerial, I just hope they do the switch-over soon which will help with this.

Thanks every one with your help, was much appreciated :) I think I will stick around and see what else I can learn :geek:

mark1234

Post by mark1234 » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:24 am

Glad you've got this working again.
indyjonesuk wrote:I just hope they do the switch-over soon
Depending on which of the three transmitters you mentioned you are actually using, it's Feb/Mar time next year when they switch. The www.ukfree.tv site is a useful one as it has the full switchover schedule and will also give you the frequencies to check against Media Centre. You will need to do a retune when switchover happens as all the channels will move around, some of them twice over a week or so.

indyjonesuk

Post by indyjonesuk » Tue Oct 18, 2011 9:28 am

Thanks