6 Eth Not Getting Full Channel Map

Ask fellow members about Ceton's infiniTV tuners here.
Forum rules
Ceton no longer participate in this forum. Official support may still be handled via the Ceton Ticket system.
kdurbin82

HTPC Specs: Show details

6 Eth Not Getting Full Channel Map

Post by kdurbin82 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:14 am

I noticed today that I was having problems tuning into certain channels. When I dug into it, I found that my 6 Eth was missing all channels between 670 and 799 (CCI in Kansas). I cleared the channel map and rebooted the tuner twice and once with the TR. No luck; it downloaded the channel map again without those channels.

Dare I call CCI level 2 and ask John, our friendly farmer cable tech, why?
RIP WMC

kdurbin82

Post by kdurbin82 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 3:25 am

A quick clarification: the channel numbers didn't change and those missing channels are not in the channel map at all. Most are basic cable HD channels. I am really just looking for 670-697.

http://www.surewest.com/digitaltv/chann ... eup_kc.php

Here is that part of my channel map:
661 H&GHD QAM256 849000 1 133.1
662 FDNHD QAM256 777000 2 121.2
664 A&EHD QAM256 819000 3 128.3
665 THCHD QAM256 765000 2 119.2
667 UNVHD QAM256 813000 8 127.8
669 NFLHD QAM256 771000 7 120.7
801 PPV QAM256 693000 4 107.4
829 SPPV1 QAM256 813000 1 127.1
830 SPPV2 QAM256 813000 2 127.2
831 SPPV3 QAM256 813000 3 127.3

The missing channels get the PlayReady error in WMC and everything else works. I was able to tune those channels yesterday just fine.
RIP WMC

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 2:40 pm

First question: Are you on our latest firmware?
Second question: Does your area use SDV?
Quality Assurance Manager, Ceton Corporation

kdurbin82

Post by kdurbin82 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 6:51 pm

I have firmware version 13.5.24.142.
CCI does use SDV.

On that subject, I generally have a VERY difficult time with the TR. I have to call my cable provider about once every 2-3 weeks to request a re-provision hit. This usually fixes everything and it works like a charm for another 2-3 weeks. The problem with that is their level 2 desk is run by John, whom I affectionately describe as my local friendly farmer, cable tech. In reality, he's a jerk and hates dealing with me because I call every 2-3 weeks (I have a direct line to his desk now). I have had techs come to my house about 4 or 5 times, and I am mostly on a first name basis with them as well. They have changed my TR 4 times, and this one has performed the best. Unfortunately, my only other option is TWC -- a greater evil IMHO.

I will be calling John tonight to get a re-pro hit to see if that works.
RIP WMC

signcarver

Post by signcarver » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:37 pm

I do think your current problem is SDV related.

I have seen reports from just a few months ago with tivo that "surewest" has problems and often won't even support 4 streams let alone 6 (against FCC rules) stating that they only support 2 but from what I have seen uses cisco/sa equipment in kansas (please correct me if I am wrong)

My report from them says:
TA: STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1501

mcard: H/W Model: 0800, Ver: 0012
OS Ver: pKEY1.5.2_F.p.2801

in theory my understanding is the 2801 on the card is the minimum for 6 streams. However, most would like to see 1901 on the TA for proper 6 stream support.

For me 1501 and 1601 on the TA does need to be reset every 4 weeks or so with even 4 tuners (and faster with 6 tuners) but you shouldn't have to call them on that... usually disconnecting and reconnecting the usb cable is enough (though with the infinitv4 USB prior to the latest firmware, I found it easier to reboot the tuner rather than mess with the TA and with that tuner the USB cable I was referring to was the one from the TA to the computer on the ETH it goes to the ETH). On the 6 ETH I usually reboot it every couple of weeks as a preventative measure but still sometimes have to disconnect the cable. In my case rebooting and/or disconnecting the cable has me up and ready in 15-30 seconds (under a minute) where rebooting the TA takes 5-10 minutes and doesn't always work the first time.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Wed Jul 02, 2014 7:43 pm

Depending on what version DNCS your operator is running, there is a change in newer firmware releases which may help your channel map issue. Upgrade to our newest release (14.4.6.21) and let it sit 30 minutes and see if your channel map fills in.
Re: needing to get the TA re-hit, without seeing data and knowing what the problem is, Cisco fixed a bug in build 1901 of their TA firmware that MIGHT fix your issue. See if your operator will upgrade the TA firmware to that. If they have questions, get a diag when the TA is "broken" and pass along their contact info to me and I will get in touch with them.

kdurbin82

Post by kdurbin82 » Wed Jul 02, 2014 11:28 pm

STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1501

I am updating my firmware now and will update you on whether or not it fixes the channel map issue. A question on that: why does the CableCard screen show 219 channels and the Tuning Adapter screen shows 364? It's always been like that for me. Never understood it.

I put in a level 1 ticket last night after level 2 closed to re-hit the TR, but haven't got a call back. I am sure I am a low priority to them! If I continue to experience problems tonight, I will run a diagnostic and send you that along with the contact info (and ticket number); I will also try to call them tonight to request the 1901 push.

When I am done with my firmware upgrade, should I reboot the TR?

Also, thanks @signcarver. While I hope to get a permanent fix in place, having these better methods to deal with the crappy hardware I get is certainly helpful.
RIP WMC

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:12 pm

kdurbin82 wrote:STA1.0.0_1520_LR_F.1501

I am updating my firmware now and will update you on whether or not it fixes the channel map issue. A question on that: why does the CableCard screen show 219 channels and the Tuning Adapter screen shows 364? It's always been like that for me. Never understood it.

I put in a level 1 ticket last night after level 2 closed to re-hit the TR, but haven't got a call back. I am sure I am a low priority to them! If I continue to experience problems tonight, I will run a diagnostic and send you that along with the contact info (and ticket number); I will also try to call them tonight to request the 1901 push.

When I am done with my firmware upgrade, should I reboot the TR?

Also, thanks @signcarver. While I hope to get a permanent fix in place, having these better methods to deal with the crappy hardware I get is certainly helpful.
The number of channels differ because the maps are different (this is expected with a TA). When a TA is attached, the CableCARD's map is ignored and the TA resolves all tuning requests - even for non-switched channels.

kdurbin82

Post by kdurbin82 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:17 pm

How can I tell if a channel is SDV or not? I don't have premium channels, so I may not even need the blasted TA.

In other news, things seemed to work last night, although it was a challenge to get WMC reconfigured after the firmware upgrade. It was very slow in tuning for a while. Channel Maps still showing as 219 on the CableCard and still missing those higher channels, although they seem to be tuning OK. I will continue to monitor over the weekend and update if I still have problems.
RIP WMC

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Thu Jul 03, 2014 3:57 pm

kdurbin82 wrote:How can I tell if a channel is SDV or not? I don't have premium channels, so I may not even need the blasted TA.

In other news, things seemed to work last night, although it was a challenge to get WMC reconfigured after the firmware upgrade. It was very slow in tuning for a while. Channel Maps still showing as 219 on the CableCard and still missing those higher channels, although they seem to be tuning OK. I will continue to monitor over the weekend and update if I still have problems.
If a channel isn't in the CableCARD's map (assuming the map is correct), then it's switched. There's no other way to tell. Only one operator that I'm aware of (CableVision) only uses a TA for certain tiers of channels - all other operators I'm familiar with require it for some channels in all packages.

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 4:44 pm

If you're on a Cisco system, you can tune to the channel and then go and find which tuner has been used. After that you open the TA diagnostics map and go to SDV Session Info A, B or C (tuner 0, 1 on A, tuners 2, 3 on B, and tuners 4, 5 on C) and open the right link: You'll see:
SESSION-1
Name-Status: LTSID0-Ready
Session Id: 54d46f7b3ee600000000
SamSvcId/Type: 61820/Switched
Source Id: 65053
Act Time: 07/03@08:02:29
Retries/Resends: 0/0
Retunes: 0
Tuner Status: Active
Tuner Use: Main
Tv/Rec Rsrc: 2196/0
SDV Freq: 783 MHz
LUA Tx Time: 07/03@08:02:29
Last CCP Err: NoErr
Err Time: n/a
If the channel isn't switch, it will show Broadcast.
TWC used to have a list of switched channels at one point, but I think that link has disappeared.

I don't know any of the diagnostic maps for Moto systems.

kdurbin82

Post by kdurbin82 » Thu Jul 03, 2014 9:37 pm

Thanks! That is helpful. I was able to skim through several channels and found a good mix or broadcast and fixed; can't ditch the TA unfortunately. Might go ahead and call my provider and request the upgrade to 1901.
RIP WMC

JohnW248

Post by JohnW248 » Fri Jul 04, 2014 8:52 pm

Getting the upgrade on the TA is something Eric can help you with. It is usually not as simple as asking for it since in many cases the system has to do it for all TAs and I don't know what digital control network update(s) might be necessary on the SDV server as well. Most of the FW updates for the cableCARDS and TAs have to happen on both ends and have to be sent over the wire to the subscriber. Every time I pick up a cableCARD from TWC the first thing it does is upgrade the FW even though that update was rolled out a year ago to the system. For some reason that never gets done inside before they issue the cards or TAs.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Jul 05, 2014 12:07 am

I feel sorry for those affected with things like this when sorting out their cable viewing.

Let's face it, too many devices and bits of code all interlinked that have to work in unison. It's bound to go wrong.

Signal level, signal to noise level, pairings, checks, rechecks, copy protection, validations, authorizations, syncs, maps, firmware upgrades, HDMI handshakes/HDCP, first level cable support (good luck with that).
Throw DRM into the mix with Media Center and you have a veritable molatov cocktail just waiting to go 'poof'.

Just for WAF to watch her favorite show. :thumbdown:

This is why the Media Center and cable card solution for North American TV never went full throttle. It's way too messy for mainstream.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:28 pm

erkotz wrote:
The number of channels differ because the maps are different (this is expected with a TA). When a TA is attached, the CableCARD's map is ignored and the TA resolves all tuning requests - even for non-switched channels.

That's interesting. Do we even need the CableCARD if we have a TA attached? Just a rhetorical question.

erkotz

Post by erkotz » Mon Jul 14, 2014 5:29 pm

blueiedgod wrote:
erkotz wrote:

That's interesting. Do we even need the CableCARD if we have a TA attached? Just a rhetorical question.
Yes - the CableCARD still handles decryption. There is also some authentication between the TA and CableCARD.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Tue Jul 15, 2014 4:49 pm

erkotz wrote:
blueiedgod wrote:
erkotz wrote:

Yes - the CableCARD still handles decryption. There is also some authentication between the TA and CableCARD.
OK Thanks!