What do I need to know about using an external HDD?

SJMaye

HTPC Specs: Show details

What do I need to know about using an external HDD?

Post by SJMaye » Mon Jun 16, 2014 9:28 am

I am a long time user of WMC. I am streamlining my setup using a Acer Veriton (same size as Revo). This will require using an external HDD. A couple questions:

* Is using an external drive possible?

*Will I see a response time difference vs internal?

*I bought an external USB 3.0 HDD dock. Is USB 3.0 required?

*My router allows connecting a HDD as NAS. Will this work? Will I have response time issues?

BTW- Shame to see the latest post on W7MC from March. I know W8MC is out, but still hurts.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 1:22 pm

Yes, it's possible.

I don't think you'll see a difference in response time for simply watching TV and movies.

No, 3.0 is not required.

You cannot record directly to a NAS. If you want to go that route, you'll need to record to your internal storage device, and then schedule a script to move the recordings to the NAS. The NAS can be set as a "watched" folder so that recordings stored there will show up in your Recorded TV section.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:25 pm

I use an external hard drive as my WMC recording drive connected USB 3.0 to my htpc. It works fine. One thing I have to do is keep it running, so you have to disable USB ports from sleeping otherwise you get the disk full error or something along those lines when your hard drive goes to sleep. Response time is great.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 2:31 pm

christoph86 is referring to "Selective USB suspend". He is correct that you should disable it.

SJMaye

Post by SJMaye » Mon Jun 16, 2014 3:01 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:christoph86 is referring to "Selective USB suspend". He is correct that you should disable it.
Many thanks to your replies. Where or how are these disabled?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Jun 16, 2014 5:58 pm

Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change plan settings -> Change advanced power settings -> (click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" at the top) -> USB Settings -> USB selective suspend setting -> Disabled

SJMaye

Post by SJMaye » Tue Jun 17, 2014 8:16 am

barnabas1969 wrote:Control Panel -> Power Options -> Change plan settings -> Change advanced power settings -> (click "Change settings that are currently unavailable" at the top) -> USB Settings -> USB selective suspend setting -> Disabled
-Thank you for that.

Can someone tell me how this forum was so inactive. I thought with the limitations and lack of development no one really "upgraded" to Win8MC. Has everyone moved on to XBMC or other?

mdavej

Post by mdavej » Tue Jun 17, 2014 1:38 pm

WMC is still the only game in town for copy protected content, regardless of whether it's on Win 7 or Win 8. "Upgrades" come naturally as people replace old hardware with new systems that may happen to include Win 8. While development is dead, WMC still works just fine (aside from a few minor things). I don't see XBMC or anything else being a complete replacement for WMC, at least for cable subscribers in the US. Hopefully I'll be able to continue using WMC indefinitely.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Tue Jun 17, 2014 10:51 pm

SJMaye wrote:Can someone tell me how this forum was so inactive
Huh? This forum has several new posts every day. I'll admit that this is the only forum where I regularly participate, but there's plenty of activity... sometimes more than I can handle.

There has definitely been no activity from Microsoft as far as software updates... but as stated previously, Media Center is the only game in town (town = world) if you want to view/record copy-protected cable content on a PC in North America.

SJMaye

Post by SJMaye » Wed Jun 18, 2014 8:20 am

My mistake! I was looking at the sticky dates. Sorry, but to know there is still activity. This is by far the best Media Center forum out there.