Stability and trouble free usabililty of 3rd party apps

STC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Stability and trouble free usabililty of 3rd party apps

Post by STC » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:32 pm

Split Topic from: http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... 358#p76347

Probably not what people want to hear but a nice little Roku solves all the 3rd party streaming hassle.
It's really only a quick change of inputs on the TV and it's a great user interface.

I don't even do BluRay through MC any more. It's just a TV recording box now.

*returns to bunker*
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 6:48 pm

I'll take the Media Center Netflix any day over the others I've tried. All the others feel bloated and slow.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:06 pm

STC wrote:Probably not what people want to hear but a nice little Roku solves all the 3rd party streaming hassle that MC creates.
It's really only a quick change of inputs on the TV and it's a great user interface.

I don't even do BluRay through MC any more. It's just a TV recording box now.

*returns to bunker*
I am of the same mindset. For years, since 2006, I've been cramming 3rd party services into WMC for use with a remote and using TMT for BR. The problem is, things break/need updating/cause other problems. Same with BR player software. Much more stability, peace of mind and less mucking around if you just get a popular 3rd party streaming device and/or standalone BR player. The one-box-for-all idea is cool, I had it for years, but it comes along with the need for constant upkeep, maintenance and troubleshooting. And even then (like people experiencing now with Pandora via ReLaunch, or this possible demise of the WMC Netflix plugin), sometimes things are out of your hands and just break. What are you gonna do then, just not use the services anymore? It's way more hassle than it was worth for me for a 'one box solution'. Unfortunately it took me so long to realize it. Smooth sailing now though :thumbup:

It's much more enjoyable to have stuff just work at the TV, even if you gotta change inputs, rather than be hunched over a mouse and keyboard trying to get whatever plugin to work like it should.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:41 pm

I have always sat in amazement at the mania for "but we have to cram it all into one, because we don't want to <gasp!> HAVE TO CHANGE THE INPUT! My God, man, do you think we're savages??? Change the input. Next you'll have us hunting bison and eating it raw with our hands!"

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat Jun 14, 2014 7:52 pm

Plus with the XBOX Gold requirement dropped for apps, you don't even need to change the input - just leave WMC - and it's still technically a one-box solution (aside from BR). Just not one interface.

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 8:21 pm

adam1991 wrote:I have always sat in amazement at the mania for "but we have to cram it all into one, because we don't want to <gasp!> HAVE TO CHANGE THE INPUT! My God, man, do you think we're savages??? Change the input. Next you'll have us hunting bison and eating it raw with our hands!"
That's the entire concept of Windows Media Center.......what a strange statement.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sat Jun 14, 2014 9:53 pm

Changing inputs is easy and I can see why some of you preach about it. Speaking for myself though, one of the best things about MC is that everything can/could be achieved inside of the one input. Reversing on that notion isn't as easy to accept for some people. I would think some of you would be more understanding.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:22 pm

3rob3 wrote:
adam1991 wrote:I have always sat in amazement at the mania for "but we have to cram it all into one, because we don't want to <gasp!> HAVE TO CHANGE THE INPUT! My God, man, do you think we're savages??? Change the input. Next you'll have us hunting bison and eating it raw with our hands!"
That's the entire concept of Windows Media Center.......what a strange statement.
Unfortunately MC is a legacy product. Getting modern streamers to work through the interface usually require hacks and splices and a bit of luck to work. Then something stops working. Then you find out what's up and fix then it stops again...Not to mention hardly anything being produced to work through it anyway...

STC

Post by STC » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:25 pm

mcewinter wrote:Changing inputs is easy and I can see why some of you preach about it. Speaking for myself though, one of the best things about MC is that everything can/could be achieved inside of the one input. Reversing on that notion isn't as easy to accept for some people. I would think some of you would be more understanding.
Read one post up. I used to preach your words but no longer.

Really MC has had its day. There's much more eye candy and fun to be had outside of the interface now.

It's 'evolved' to be my PVR only and that's it.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:28 pm

mcewinter wrote:Changing inputs is easy and I can see why some of you preach about it. Speaking for myself though, one of the best things about MC is that everything can/could be achieved inside of the one input. Reversing on that notion isn't as easy to accept for some people. I would think some of you would be more understanding.
Sure, WMC is capable of doing it all, but it doesn't.

Sure, you can add it in yourself. But then you have to accept the burden of fixing things when the break/cause conflicts, or having to update the things yourself (like when you need to update TMT to play the latest discs, or when MB2 stops working and you have to upgrade to 3). And even then, with Pandora via ReLaunch currently or possibly WMC Netflix, accept that when these plugins stop working you just aren't gonna be able to use the service anymore.

I had to face facts and realize it's much, much, much less of a hassle and thus far easier/more enjoyable to give up on the one-in-all HTPC. It was my own fault for neglecting that for so long, not anyone else's or WMC's fault. Not being able to give up on the notion as you put it is just stubbornness. I was guilty of it, and so is anyone who will continue to refuse to just face facts.
Last edited by Ed  on Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:35 pm, edited 2 times in total.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:32 pm

I'm not saying that I don't change inputs. I'm just saying ideally, that I don't want to.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:37 pm

Well, for us Its a joy to have everything just work without hassle then return to MC for TV viewing.

Blu rays on the Oppo are fantastic. Netflix is fast and up to date on the Roku. TV is recorded by MC.

All controlled with a Harmony. There's really not even extra remotes or buttons to press.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:37 pm

mcewinter wrote:I'm not saying that I don't change inputs. I'm just saying ideally, that I don't want to.
Nor would I want to in a perfect world, but things are the way they are and we are just trying to make others 'see the light' and save them a fair amount of trouble.

But, I suppose some people enjoy having to constantly tinker with their HTPCs, and don't want it to be a machine they never need to log into or break out the mouse and keyboard for. And to those, I say keep on keeping on :-)

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:42 pm

I think people see the light, they are just echoing the same ideal. What's wrong with that. How does it help them to get emotional about it.

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:47 pm

mcewinter wrote:I think people see the light, they are just echoing the same ideal. What's wrong with that. How does it help them to get emotional about it.
If I see someone constantly banging their head against a wall, sure I could just walk away and not say a word; but instead, I'm gonna say "Dude, why don't you stop that before you hurt yourself".

I don't know what you mean by getting emotional.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:51 pm

Emotional? No.

Happy I have a viable, trouble free, working media solution? Indeed.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:12 pm

3rob3 wrote:
I would not at all say that's the "entire concept" of WMC.

Use the right tool for the job. WMC is not a universal tool for every job. There is no universal tool for every job.

But my point is, people act like the world is coming to an end if they have to change inputs--as if changing inputs is hard. It's not. Frankly, it's MUCH easier to change inputs than it is to fuss and fiddle around with whatever "workaround" you end up with to try to cram the required functionality into WMC.

I can lay a roof by pounding the nails in with the butt of a screwdriver, but I guaran-dang-tee you it's far easier to climb down the ladder and retrieve the hammer I dropped. Use the right tool for the job, not the one that's at hand purely because "hey, it's what I have".

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:16 pm

mcewinter wrote:I'm not saying that I don't change inputs. I'm just saying ideally, that I don't want to.
Ideally, I don't want to have to avoid certain parts of town when I carry clear plastic bags full of money. I mean, it simply shouldn't be that way.

Ideally, I shouldn't have to tell my daughter to be careful on campus. It shouldn't be that she should have to take active steps to look out for her own safety. People shouldn't be rapists.

Ideally, ideally....but then reality sets in. Given that reality is reality, why are we even dreaming of some non-attainable ideal state?

Ideally, I wouldn't have to work and money would flow in like water over Niagara Falls.

STC

Post by STC » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:37 pm

^ wha? ;)

Hey I do just what "works".
...and that is no longer trying to cram it all in to one box as it has proven time after time, that it doesn't work. Or perhaps it will....for a bit.....then it won't....maybe it will again....dunno really....eh?

Ed 

Post by Ed  » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:43 pm

STC wrote:Hey I do just what "works".
Says the guy who uses an Echo

SORRY I HAD TO. I saw an opening and went for it. :lol:

At least we fall on the same side of this argument :thumbup: