Xbox 360 Auto-Power off timer not working

Troubleshoot and discuss the XBOX 360, XBOX One, Linksys, and other extenders.
luv2chill

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox 360 Auto-Power off timer not working

Post by luv2chill » Tue Oct 11, 2011 4:11 pm

Hi all,

Wondering if anyone else can confirm that setting the "auto off" setting to 1 hour in the dashboard doesn't actually cause the 360 to ever power off whilst it's in an extender session.

Until the most recent dashboard overhaul the only "auto off" setting you could choose was six hours, and in my experience that worked fine during an extender session. It was semi-useful as a sleep timer deal, where oftentimes I'd fall asleep during a movie and when I woke up the next morning the xbox was already powered off.

1 hour seemed even better to me (though I was eager to test whether or not it would power off in the middle of watching a program if I hadn't touched any buttons for at least an hour) but so far in my testing it just doesn't appear to ever turn off. Maybe it would if I exited the extender session and returned to the dashboard, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

I haven't tried the six hour setting again to see if it's now broken too but I will today. But in the meantime I thought I would check to see if others have experienced the same.

Thanks.

feerlessleadr

Post by feerlessleadr » Wed Oct 12, 2011 7:42 pm

I have the same problem with an older xbox 360 elite. very much a PITA.

tapangkar

Post by tapangkar » Tue Dec 06, 2011 9:47 am

How can I connect my xbox 360 to my wireless internet to get xbox live? My friend has to use a long cable that goes all the way thru his house to connect to his router to get internet, xbox live. I just bought an xbox 360 elite and i dont want to have to do the same thing. Is there some way that i can connnect it to my wireless connection? Is there some kind of adapter or something i should by seperately?
Last edited by tapangkar on Thu Dec 08, 2011 9:46 am, edited 1 time in total.

Scallica

Post by Scallica » Tue Dec 06, 2011 1:02 pm

tapangkar wrote:How can I connect my xbox 360 to my wireless internet to get xbox live? Is there some kind of adapter or something I should buy seperately?
http://www.amazon.com/Xbox-360-Wireless ... B000B6MLV4
HTPC Enthusiast / Forum Moderator - TGB.tv Code of Conduct

Tracer

Post by Tracer » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:53 pm

If you have one of the newer Xbox 360 slim models then it has built in wireless. If not then you will need to purchase the wireless adapter posted above.

http://support.xbox.com/en-US/xbox-live ... g/wireless

bobr31

Post by bobr31 » Fri Dec 30, 2011 2:26 pm

luv2chill wrote:Hi all,

Wondering if anyone else can confirm that setting the "auto off" setting to 1 hour in the dashboard doesn't actually cause the 360 to ever power off whilst it's in an extender session.

Until the most recent dashboard overhaul the only "auto off" setting you could choose was six hours, and in my experience that worked fine during an extender session. It was semi-useful as a sleep timer deal, where oftentimes I'd fall asleep during a movie and when I woke up the next morning the xbox was already powered off.

1 hour seemed even better to me (though I was eager to test whether or not it would power off in the middle of watching a program if I hadn't touched any buttons for at least an hour) but so far in my testing it just doesn't appear to ever turn off. Maybe it would if I exited the extender session and returned to the dashboard, but that kind of defeats the purpose.

I haven't tried the six hour setting again to see if it's now broken too but I will today. But in the meantime I thought I would check to see if others have experienced the same.

Thanks.
Hi Tracer,
I have had no luck with either the one or six hour timers on the Xbox. I have a sleep timer that I use on the TV, but the Xbox timer does not engage. I am using a manual solution....I connected the Xbox power brick to a lamp timer that turns off at midnight and then turns on at 12:30AM. This is very basic but it does the job with no ill effects. I have tested the Xbox timer with it set on the dashboard only and it still does not function. I'll be using the lamp timer until they get it fixed or someone has a solution. Good luck.

J3ff

Post by J3ff » Tue Jan 03, 2012 2:43 am

Hi,
I solved this issue when I first got the new slim and started using it as an extender as I noticed it had no sleep timer that would allow me to save any power...

Simply bought one of those smart power cords, that I then plugged my tv into. Now, when I turn on the tv, the xbox and my surround sound system turns on. I set the sleep timer on the tv, tv turns off, then xbox and stereo follow suit...

this is the one I bought..

http://www.amazon.com/Belkin-Conserve-S ... 595&sr=8-2

Valkyrie-MT

Post by Valkyrie-MT » Sat Jan 14, 2012 6:25 pm

The Smart Power Cord is a good idea, but it will prevent the XBox from shutting down properly and prevent the cooling before shutdown. So, I would be concerned about doing that every night. But, is that worse than leaving it on all night, every night? Don't know...

-Valkyrie-MT

J3ff

Post by J3ff » Wed Jan 18, 2012 1:11 am

I should mention I'm using the newER xbox 360 slim.... it doesn't cool down at all. You hit the power button and it's off.