Will updating PlayReady prohibit acces to my DRM recordings?

josim

HTPC Specs: Show details

Will updating PlayReady prohibit acces to my DRM recordings?

Post by josim » Mon Apr 21, 2014 11:04 am

Couldn't record Game of Thrones last night :evil: Got "PlayReady could not update", so I need to gp through that process.

Question is, will the update allow me to then access my current DRM files?

Background: I added some RAM and a 2-tuner OTA card to my system after a failure of a USB 3.0 pci-e card shut down the whole system. Been running a week.

So, what do you think?

josim

Post by josim » Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:08 pm

Well, let me answer my own question.
With out playready update I cannot watch my current DRM videos. Boo!

I uninstalled Playready, digital cable advisor and tuner drivers. Restarted and reinstalled digital cable advisor, tuner drivers, restarted and setup live TV. Still can't watch DRM videos!

Any suggestions?

josim

Post by josim » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:29 pm

OK solution 2 from this thread worked for me - http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=6769 .

Thanks to Rerock for posting! :D

Here it is:
Solution 2:

1) Quit Windows Media Center if running.

2) Open a cmd prompt - run as administrator. (start>All Programs>Accessories>CMD Prompt; right-click and run as administrator)

3) Run the following commands one at a time:
Code:
net stop ehrecvr
cd %programdata%\Microsoft\PlayReady
del *.hds
rmdir /s Cache
cd %programdata%\Microsoft\ehome
del *.hds
rmdir /s Cache
net start ehrecvr
4) Run Windows Media Center. Update PlayReady by going through Tasks, Settings, TV, TV Signal, Update PlayReady

Edit to say that I still cannot my previously recorded DRM files. :thumbdown:

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Apr 21, 2014 7:39 pm

Pretty sure that Solution #2 will make it impossible to play your old copy-protected recordings. Hope you saved a backup of the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Playready\mspr.hds file before you did that. You can restore it after you get PlayReady working again. The mspr.hds file contains all the keys for your old recordings.

josim

Post by josim » Wed Apr 23, 2014 12:43 pm

barnabas1969 wrote:Pretty sure that Solution #2 will make it impossible to play your old copy-protected recordings. Hope you saved a backup of the C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Playready\mspr.hds file before you did that. You can restore it after you get PlayReady working again. The mspr.hds file contains all the keys for your old recordings.
Thanks for this. You are correct. I did not backup the mspr.hds file. Lost a couple of recordings but, fortunately, I can watch them on HBOgo.

Also, No. 2 did not allow me to view some of my HBO channels??? Thanks to mdavej on this thread,
http://www.thegreenbutton.tv/forums/vie ... f=5&t=6769 ,
I used the link below to solve my issue. I hope this is a permanent fix.

http://drmlicense.one.microsoft.com/Ind ... ndivit.asp

mmoore5553

Post by mmoore5553 » Sun Jun 14, 2015 6:57 pm

barnabas1969 - i did make a backup copy of the hds file in

I only deleted that and moved it to recycle bin and another folder. then i ran the update again and it finally succeeded. I did run through the windows media center setup as i could not find where to install readyplayer. Then I unistalled playread form add /remove programs. I then moved back the hds file and still unable to view my old recorded programs. Anyone know a fix as i have tons saved and would like to watch them.

cwinfield

Post by cwinfield » Mon Jun 15, 2015 11:53 am

mmoore5553 wrote:barnabas1969 - i did make a backup copy of the hds file in

I only deleted that and moved it to recycle bin and another folder. then i ran the update again and it finally succeeded. I did run through the windows media center setup as i could not find where to install readyplayer. Then I unistalled playread form add /remove programs. I then moved back the hds file and still unable to view my old recorded programs. Anyone know a fix as i have tons saved and would like to watch them.
I have deleted that file many times when playready refused to update. It creates a new file and the old protected recordings continue to work as before...

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sun Jun 21, 2015 2:36 am

mmoore5553 wrote:Then I unistalled playread form add /remove programs.
Well there's your problem...how can you expect PlayReady to work if you uninstalled it?