DynDNS to begin charging

Latest and Greatest in the world of Technology and/or Media Center.
barnabas1969

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by barnabas1969 » Wed Apr 23, 2014 1:36 am

Crash2009 wrote:That one is beyond my peg rate. Is this what you are trying to do? http://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Dynamic_D ... _No-IP_DNS
No, that's not the same thing. That link is talking about a script to update your WAN IP address when it changes. If you run the script linked above (which requires "RouterOS"), it will not prevent you from getting the e-mail every 30 days which forces you to click a link (and enter a CAPTCHA code).

What I'm talking about is a means to update your account with no-ip in a way which will stop those annoying e-mails, and prevent your account from expiring. If I can get it working, I would recommend running it ONCE every 2-3 weeks using the Windows Task Scheduler. Probably the easiest way to do that would be to run it on two fixed days of each month, like the 1st and 16th.

But... I still haven't worked on it to a point where it works!

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:09 pm

I didn't get an email but saw this on lifehacker and have been wondering what the situation is. Just went into my account on dynes and apparently I'm a VIP! Not sure how that happened but grateful nonetheless. I've been using it for 5+ years I reckon so maybe that's it

RyC

Post by RyC » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:16 pm

I think you donated in the very early days, and they gave VIP status to all those people. They reiterated VIPs will continue to get free service too

bobbob

Post by bobbob » Thu Apr 24, 2014 6:26 pm

Just came back to say that is correct. I paid $10 this time last year to become a VIP

KevinC25

Post by KevinC25 » Fri Apr 25, 2014 2:53 pm

machausta wrote:
KevinC25 wrote:
machausta wrote:I have used darktech.org (free) for several years.
darkteck or dtdns.com looks good. Do they require you to do anything regularly to keep the free account active, like no-ip requiring you to log in once a month? It wasn't clear to me from their website. Thanks!
Not to my knowledge, I use a program that updates the IP if/when it changes.
Thanks, based on this I've now set up an account at dtdns. I've set the ddns service in my dd-wrt router to update them for ip changes rather than use an updater program on my htpc. Seems to be working. This seems to me to be better than having no-ip and figuring out how to deal with the 30 day problem.