Any possible way to mute center channel only?

leewcraft

HTPC Specs: Show details

Any possible way to mute center channel only?

Post by leewcraft » Sat Mar 29, 2014 9:49 pm

I'm interested in watching sports with just arena/stadium noise and no announcers. I've been able to do this in the past by hooking up a 5.1 receiver and unplugging the center speaker, but I feel like there should be a way to do this within Windows or Windows Media Center. Does anyone have a suggestion about how to do this? Are there specific sound/video cards that support this? I use audio over HDMI out of my HTPC, but there are no controls for individual speakers on my current card.

leroys1000

Post by leroys1000 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 10:13 pm

Might check start/control panel/sound.
Click your speaker output and click configure.
Should be able to set it to quadraphonic.

richard1980

Post by richard1980 » Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:54 pm

The above suggestion will not work. First, it requires that you use analog outputs, not HDMI. Second, even if the OP switched to analog output, any adjustments you make to the analog speaker configuration will simply remap the input channels to the output channels. So if you configure Windows to output to a quadraphonic speaker configuration, the center channel audio information will be redirected to the left and right speakers.

The only way to accomplish the goal would be exactly the way the OP details. Just configure the AVR to output audio to the center channel speaker and then disconnect the speaker.

STC

Post by STC » Sun Mar 30, 2014 12:04 am

Yeah you'll have to fool the AVR into thinking the center channel is working for it to feed the center info to it instead of mixing it into left and right.
By the Community, for the Community. 100% Commercial Free.

Want decent guide data back? Check out EPG123

pittsoccer33

Post by pittsoccer33 » Mon Mar 31, 2014 2:34 pm

occaisonally I've found exactly what you're looking for on the SAP channel.

it used to happen all the time for CBS football and local NHL broadcasts, but I haven't come across one in a while.

It was amazing - just the ambient noise with no production sounds. you could hear the stadium PA, arena sounds, gameplay sounds, etc. no play by play, production music, or anything else.

makryger

Post by makryger » Tue Apr 01, 2014 11:43 am

pittsoccer33 wrote:occaisonally I've found exactly what you're looking for on the SAP channel.

it used to happen all the time for CBS football and local NHL broadcasts, but I haven't come across one in a while.

It was amazing - just the ambient noise with no production sounds. you could hear the stadium PA, arena sounds, gameplay sounds, etc. no play by play, production music, or anything else.
Hail to Pitt!
My Channel Logos XL: Get your Guide looking good! ~~~~ TunerSalad: Increase the 4-tuner limit in 7MC

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Tue Apr 01, 2014 3:51 pm

pittsoccer33 wrote:occaisonally I've found exactly what you're looking for on the SAP channel.
Some of my broadcasts also have a SAP with stereo sound.