Netflix SSL / HTTPS Error *FIX*

epayson85

HTPC Specs: Show details

Netflix SSL / HTTPS Error *FIX*

Post by epayson85 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 8:51 pm

I was posting about this in some other threads so I decided it might be useful if I start another one for this specific topic. I have no idea if anyone has seen this or not... I have seen other report DNS errors so I do believe this is unrelated. All of my HTPC's have been having issues with connecting to https://www.netflix.com . This means IE, Chrome, and WMC could not connect. I was getting SSL errors and in chrome specifically stating that HTTPS was not working and it could not connect to the "real" netflix.com. Every once in a while it would come back but it would always go out again. On any other PC or internet connected device that wasn't my HTPCs, I could get to the website just fine.

Come to find out what was causing this is an old windows update that had been fixed in newer ones. With my HTPCs I hate to do any updates that aren't necessary. I tend to do windows 7, SP1, a couple hot fixes for my tuners, a certain set of old gpu drivers... and that is it. Since I never update windows and more importantly internet explorer, I am now having this issue. For anyone else that tends to not update anything on their HTPC here is a link to fix this issue if you run into it.

http://catalog.update.microsoft.com/v7/ ... e%20update

You must use that link in internet explorer. If you don't have a high enough version of IE on your HTPC, you can download the update from another PC and send it over. The link will bring you to a bunch of downloads for different versions of windows. Choose which version matches your HTPC and download it. When you run it on your HTPC it is a silent install so it won't do / show anything. Reboot the PC and you should be all set. All this does is update your root certificates which allows you to connect to Netflix. Probably at some point I will need to update IE to the latest version, but I will wait as long as I possibly can since my system runs so flawlessly as is.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Wed Mar 19, 2014 9:40 pm

Hmm. Your find just may help somebody but I can't help but believe it would be easier to just update Windows.

epayson85

Post by epayson85 » Wed Mar 19, 2014 11:22 pm

haha I agree with you... and disagree with you. I see way too many posts about things breaking after updates. Besides this instance, I rarely have any issues with my setup. Unless something forces me to update, I will stick with my setup.

HOWEVER, if I find that I have to keep updating my certificates then I will probably update because that will be annoying / I don't want to deal with the phone calls from home, while I am at work.

mcewinter

Post by mcewinter » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:38 am

There have been many posts on the subject but I've always kept current with updates. I had one incident of my custom menu getting borked, but no problems otherwise.

adam1991

Post by adam1991 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:14 pm

Picking and choosing individual updates seems to me to be more dangerous. Certainly MS never tested that update as an individual item against whatever system you're installing it into.

I don't update much either, but when I do it's manually, it's once or twice a year, and I'm prepared to roll back to a previous restore point immediately. Other than that, I just say "let 'em rip" so that they all come down the way MS assumed they would come down.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Thu Mar 20, 2014 12:42 pm

epayson85 wrote: All of my HTPC's have been having issues with connecting to https://www.netflix.com .
Me too.
Attachments
NetflixBlocker001.JPG