Service Unavailable

AllIn7MC

HTPC Specs: Show details

Service Unavailable

Post by AllIn7MC » Mon Mar 17, 2014 3:30 am

Hi--I have been reading the forum here for some time, and was a member of the old green button site.

I have recently come up on one windows 7 MC issue that I want to see if anyone can advise me about, down at the bottom of this post.

I also want to introduce myself and/or my setup.
I have been a fan of media center since MCE 2005 XP edition back when my cable was analog. I had three dell computers powering my TVs with an analog TV card and analog cable. About a year ago, or maybe two, a I went "all in" on windows 7 MC when I was forced to get digital cable. I got three HDhomerun Prime Cable Card three-tuner boxes. I basically have three TV's in the house, with a computer hooked up to each one. One setup uses three tuners exclusively, and two TVs/computers and three other computers or so in the house share the remaining 6. I have tuner salad on at least one computer.

I record a lot of TV, but I don't really watch much. I have a wife and kids that watch a bit more than me. That said, when I want to watch The Walking Dead, I expect everything to be in working order.

My cable provider is Comcast, which has given some issues but overall, not too bad with the cable card setup.

--------------------------------
Anyway, here is my issue:
when I tried to watch live TV tonight, I got a message that said "Service Unavailable There is currently no TV signal detected for this channel. The channel may be temporarily off the air. Try again later." This shows up on two computers that I tried to watch it on. A third computer worked for live TV.

I rebooted the problem computers and cycled the power on my HDHR Primes. Same error. However, my HDHR configuration utility has no problem previewing the channel--and I can record a show and play it back while it is recording via Media Center. But no live TV on these computers.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Mon Mar 17, 2014 5:12 pm

Service unavailable is probably related to the signal. Check the splitter, wires, etc.

Seems like an overkill to have 3 Primes and 3 PC's to do what can be done with 1 6-tuner box, 1 PC and 2 extenders.

AllIn7MC

Post by AllIn7MC » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:37 pm

Thanks. The HDHR software reports a signal strength of about 80%. However, I can see the channels in the HDHR preview program, just not media center. Also, recording still works, but not live TV.

As far as the multiple HDHRs go, one is in a location with a cable TV connection, but very poor wireless coverage and no wired ethernet. The wireless is good enough to get guide data, but I can forget about streaming HD programs to or from that location. A six tuner box was not available when I purchased the others, plus I like some redundancy, and I'd rather have a computer than an extender.

I've searched for this error on google and got a few hits, but nothing seemed relevant.

------------
edit: I unplugged my HDHR Prime (again) but this time I pulled the M-card out and reseated it. It is working now. I can't imagine any technical reason that only live TV was affected, but it looks like its all good again now.

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Mon Mar 17, 2014 11:59 pm

Having to re-seat my M-Card was the first indication of eventual failure.

AllIn7MC

Post by AllIn7MC » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:46 am

Crash2009 wrote:Having to re-seat my M-Card was the first indication of eventual failure.
Oh--failure of the M-card or the HDHR Prime?

Crash2009

Post by Crash2009 » Tue Mar 18, 2014 12:59 am

AllIn7MC wrote:
Crash2009 wrote:Having to re-seat my M-Card was the first indication of eventual failure.
Oh--failure of the M-card or the HDHR Prime?
Sorry, should have been more clear. I re-seated my CableCARD a few times. Eventually re-seating worked no more, and the CableCARD was completely dead.