Antec Veris Basic, Harmony Remote & stuck keys

Dragonwyntir

HTPC Specs: Show details

Antec Veris Basic, Harmony Remote & stuck keys

Post by Dragonwyntir » Wed Mar 12, 2014 10:11 pm

Hello fellow HTPC-ers,

I am attempting to work through final WAF issues for my living room HTPC, and I've come across one I can't seem to solve:

I am using the Antec Veris basic as an IR receiver and controlling my HTPC primarily with a Harmony 700 remote. Everything works great at first boot, but it seems that from time to time (I can't seem to pinpoint when), either Ctrl, Alt, or Shift (or some combination of those) will get stuck, and some of the IR commands from the Harmony will stop working properly. This could be the directional keys, or the "OK" button, or even a whole grouping of them depending on which key is stuck. To remedy this, I'll break out my wireless keyboard and Alt-Tab to the desktop, then I will depress those keys a few times. Usually this will shake it free, and I can get back to normal Media Center operation.

Obviously this isn't the smoothest of experiences, but I'm not sure what is causing this strange behavior in the first place. Any help you might be able to provide would be appreciated!

Cheers,
Tim

P.S. - I am using the most recent iMON software to drive the Antec Veris Basic device.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Wed Mar 12, 2014 11:56 pm

Check the Harmony remote, on my Harmony One when you press a button on the remote it displays an Icon on the touch screen that shows it is transmitting a signal.. I have had the odd occasion when one of the harmony buttons gets stuck and my HTPC acts weird.. when it does this the icon on the harmony remote will flicker constantly until I figure out what button is causing the issue. Usually pressing it again brings it back. If you think it's the keyboard causing the issue with a stuck key. It may just be time to replace the keyboard. I use a Lenovo N5902 Backlit keyboard remote and it works great from the couch. You can find them on sale quite a bit,..check online for coupons for them as well. For a small all in one Keyboard, Mouse it really works well. http://www.ebay.com/itm/Lenovo-Enhanced ... 1096809886 If you do get one make sure it's backlit! (it helps, trust me! =) )
newfiend~

leroys1000

Post by leroys1000 » Thu Mar 13, 2014 1:47 pm

I am running an antec veris elite with imon.
Periodically it acts like the remote goes to sleep.
Usually,it will wake up if I hit a button a couple of times.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sat Mar 15, 2014 6:11 am

If the remote seems to act like its going to sleep, and the iMon receiver connects to a USB header on your motherboard you may be able to fix that by disabling USB selective suspend in power options.

Dragonwyntir

Post by Dragonwyntir » Wed Jun 18, 2014 3:16 pm

Hi Newfiend,

Thanks for the prompt response. Sorry this is MONTHS late. :oops:

I've tried two different keyboards just to be sure, but even before doing that, I need to be clear that it acts like a stuck key, but it isn't actually a physical stuck key. My "quick" fix these days is to Alt-Tab out to the desktop, launch On-Screen Keyboard in Windows 7, and click Shift, then Alt, then Ctrl, and then "un-click" each one. It frees the remote right up. What I'm guessing is that something in the driver or hardware or setup of the Veris Basic is passing these interpreted keystrokes from the Harmony ("Left Arrow" to go left, for instance), and when one of these modifier keys gets stuck, it then begins to pass the commands plus the modifier ("Ctrl + Left Arrow", which no longer goes left). Having the OSK "un-click" that modifier takes it back to the normal keyboard state, and then the commands coming through are golden for awhile.

I was hoping there was something I set up wrong in the iMon software, or a new version of the driver out there that would make things work better, or a BIOS setting that would make the MB friendlier to the USB connectivity between it and the Veris Basic. Sorry for the initial confusion, and thanks for reading this!

Tim

mercalia

Post by mercalia » Tue Aug 19, 2014 9:46 pm

I use this gear ( antec veris basic ) with a basic WMC remote. The problems I have is some times Imon crashes, especially if I use the remote to change the program that the windows green button opens ( normally WMC) For the most part I have found this gear very reliable and makes WMC a professional behaiving unit? No stuck buttons. Shame the gear not made any more?