Media Browser + 7MC Hybrid System

woodchuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

Media Browser + 7MC Hybrid System

Post by woodchuck » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:02 pm

So I have 7MC on my main tv. It works great. Ceton Inifinitv ETH as the tuner. I am willing to give up copy protected content on all clients, but I must have it on the main television. Could I setup the MB Server on my main TV, and then serve all the content, except 'copy once' stuff, to any MB client?

duncane

Post by duncane » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:16 pm

Yup, sounds correct. I have no copy protection stuff but all ServerWMC (the part you install on the WMC) does is hook into your existing WMC setup and serves out what it can. At the moment the only Live TV Media Browser client is via the Web Browser but hopefully this will change soon!

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:17 pm

Yes, though I am not sure which clients (other than the web client) have implemented the "Live TV" functionality yet.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:32 pm

Does it work in IE or just Chrome? And if you are in Chrome can you cast it to a Chromecast device?

duncane

Post by duncane » Tue Feb 25, 2014 5:46 pm

I only really use Chrome but I have tried it in IE but it's not great to be honest. I don't know the specifics of why IE is really buggy but I'll ask over at MB Forums. Yeah you can cast the chrome tab with live tv playing but it's really jerky and not really usable. 'Real' Chromecast support is on it's way though...

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Tue Feb 25, 2014 8:56 pm

I know IE has had issues with all playback and the MB3 team has been working on a fix. For now I use Chrome and works great. Believe Firefox works as well but have not tried it myself. Tabcasting with chrome browser to the chromecast, as stated above, is very choppy, but it's like this with anything I've tried casting from chromebrowser, not just live tv from mediabrowser. It seems to be a limitation of either the chromecast or googlecast app in the chrome browser.

Right now you can only access live tv through a browser, but more clients are coming, including Android, windows phone, IOs and Roku. Timeline is different for each and not really sure when these will be out. Once these other clients are working, I will probably get one of those Android mini pc TV dongles for $70 and use the android MediaBrowser app for live tv. I will also have HBOGO and MaxGO android apps on that dongle for premium access, so copy once channels won't be much of an issue. I have a Roku3 that could be used for live tv on another television as well. I could essentially relieve my Echo of most of its duties at this point assuming everything works well.

woodchuck

Post by woodchuck » Tue Feb 25, 2014 9:47 pm

christoph86 wrote: I will probably get one of those Android mini PC TV dongles for $70 and use the android MediaBrowser app for live tv. I will also have HBOGO and MaxGO android apps on that dongle for premium access, so copy once channels won't be much of an issue.
Interesting. If/when you get there, please post back on this premium channel workaround. I'm probably going to install MB on my 7MC machine soon and play with the various clients. I may end up trying this as well...