Xbox One voice controls

wbroadley

HTPC Specs: Show details

Xbox One voice controls

Post by wbroadley » Sat Feb 01, 2014 10:04 am

I quite like the idea of waking / sleeping my PC and changing channels like you can using Xbox One via the Kinnect. Is there any way I can replicate this functionality on my HTPC?

I already have a webcam on the top of my TV plugged into my HTPC which is used for Skype. This has a built in microphone, so surely all I need is some clever software to listen for specific voice commands.

Is this possible already or am I dreaming?

bmblank

Post by bmblank » Sat Feb 01, 2014 3:02 pm

Someone was working on kinect for wmca while ago, but you would need an actual kinect camera for that. They do make kinect programs for windows.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Feb 05, 2014 5:45 pm

you would need to get Kinect it self, and download the FREE developer kit from Microsoft.

You can then map the commands in Kinect to WMC. It does not require any programming skills, just time to develop the commands.

One possible issue I envisioned with that, let's say you use "palm up, raise hand" command for volume, and "hand swipe, left to right" to change channels. If you have an annoying fly or mosquito, you will be changing volume and channels inadvertently.

wbroadley

Post by wbroadley » Thu Feb 06, 2014 8:39 am

That sounds like one of the only options available for using your hands. Also, see the LeapMotion.

My original question however was the use of a microphone with voice commands. Is there any software that can detect voice commands and we then translate this into running some code to Sleep/Wake, change channels, play, stop etc?

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:45 pm

Windows 7 has built-in speech recognition. I don't know if you can use it to control media playback, but you can try it. Just connect a microphone, setup speech recognition, and give it a go. You definitely won't be able to wake the PC with speech though.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Thu Feb 06, 2014 9:59 pm

There's always the Amulet remote - it does speech pretty well I think.

I was keen when it was first announced myself, but then I realised that a normal remote works so well for normal playback control.

Choosing to play music by artist/album etc via voice control is definitely a nice feature though.

Of course, you need to be holding the Amulet remote in a certain way before it will listen to a word you say!......
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Fri Feb 07, 2014 12:11 am

The videos of the Amulet remote look really cool. I especially like the ability to play a specific movie, TV recording, or music based on title, artist name, genre, etc. all with a simple voice command. It supports commands like "Watch the latest episode of Two and a Half Men." I just didn't want his remote. I like mine. If my programmable remote had a microphone and could be used with his software, it would be a winner.

When the Amulet guy announced that he was developing the same functionality for the Kinect, I was ready to buy! His free version was for music only, and he decided not to develop further because he learned that the Kinect for PC SDK required him to limit the software so that it would only work with Kinect PC (not Kinect for XBox) if he intended to charge money for the software. He didn't feel that anyone would be willing to spend the money for Kinect PC (it costs more than Kinect for XBox) and also pay him a fair price for his software.

He gave his source code to someone else, and they have continued development. It is primarily developed for Media Browser, but the new developer said that he was planning to develop it for Media Center too. That was quite a while ago. I don't know how much further he has gotten, and I can't find my bookmarks to the info now. I actually bought a Kinect for XBox (used from e-bay), but haven't done anything with it besides verify that the Kinect SDK recognizes the Kinect device, and can track my body movements, etc.

If someone finds that software, and it has been developed to a state where it is stable and easily used with Media Center, please post the links here.