Overall volume boosted after installing DVD Fab and VLC

tad

HTPC Specs: Show details

Overall volume boosted after installing DVD Fab and VLC

Post by tad » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:02 pm

I needed to copy a couple of exercise DVDs onto my media center last night and installed DVD Fab and VLC while I was doing so.

Afterward, I noticed that the volume in Media Center (both sound effects and TV audio) was boosted much louder than usual. I use optical spdif for audio. I tried adjusting the system audio levels but something is DEFINITELY still off.

I suspect that either DVD Fab or VLC installed some other audio codec and that's messing with things. I uninstalled both DVD Fab and VLC but the issue persists.

Any ideas?

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Jan 28, 2014 5:32 pm

tad wrote:I needed to copy a couple of exercise DVDs onto my media center last night and installed DVD Fab and VLC while I was doing so.

Afterward, I noticed that the volume in Media Center (both sound effects and TV audio) was boosted much louder than usual. I use optical spdif for audio. I tried adjusting the system audio levels but something is DEFINITELY still off.

I suspect that either DVD Fab or VLC installed some other audio codec and that's messing with things. I uninstalled both DVD Fab and VLC but the issue persists.

Any ideas?

See if you can rollback to an earlier restore point in the system? That way the registry is reset prior to the install. Good luck.

tad

Post by tad » Tue Jan 28, 2014 6:19 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:
tad wrote:I needed to copy a couple of exercise DVDs onto my media center last night and installed DVD Fab and VLC while I was doing so.

Any ideas?

See if you can rollback to an earlier restore point in the system? That way the registry is reset prior to the install. Good luck.
Ahh, not a bad idea. Thanks.

toddhd

Post by toddhd » Thu Feb 06, 2014 3:26 am

I am having a similar issue. I just installed VLC about two days ago and now the volume in WMC stopped working, except for mute. For some reason, when I watch things using NetFlix in WMC the volume works there, but not when using streaming TV.
I can try uninstalling it and see if that fixes it somehow, but I'd much prefer to know what registry setting or *.dll file got hammered and caused this so that I can fix it.