Ripping DVDs of TV series - and using extenders

Madcodger

HTPC Specs: Show details

Ripping DVDs of TV series - and using extenders

Post by Madcodger » Wed Jan 22, 2014 1:09 pm

I have searched the forums for an answer to this, but haven't figured out something I thought would be simple, so hoping others can help, please. I would like to rip the DVD of several TV series seasons to my hard drive, and then be able to see and play back individual episodes. But when I rip the DVD (using Auto Rip N Compress) all I get is the first season. I use extenders exclusively for TV watching (either XBox or Ceton Echo). Any suggestions that are /can be reasonably automated or plugNplay? Thanks in advance.

pittsoccer33

Post by pittsoccer33 » Wed Jan 22, 2014 3:33 pm

I'm not really familiar with Auto Rip and Compress, but .WTV would be the safest file container to rip to. That will not only guarantee playback on your extenders but also give you access to fast forward and rewind.

I think .MPG would work equally well if your ripping program can't do WTV. Years ago I used a program called WinX DVD and it could do multiple episodes as a batch. It could do MPG but I don't think it did WTV.

blueiedgod

Post by blueiedgod » Wed Jan 22, 2014 6:07 pm

I think you need to select what you want to rip. Auto setting is probably looking for the first title, and assumes the rest are just extra stuff. You need to select all titles to rip all of the seasons.

As to format, choose one that is supported by your extenders. I convert everything to XVID and MP3, since that is what Linksys supports without a problem.