Windows 8.1 and MST Tool

deadlast

HTPC Specs: Show details

Windows 8.1 and MST Tool

Post by deadlast » Tue Jan 21, 2014 8:49 am

Hi All,

During the last batch up Monthly Microsoft Updates, the MST (Media Center Standby Tool) has stopped working, now getting the following pop-up on PC Start:
POWERREADDESCRIPTION

Failed!

Is anybody else experiencing this? I've tried uninstalling/re-installing without success.

Cheers, DEAD

deadlast

Post by deadlast » Fri Jan 24, 2014 5:45 am

Is anybody still using the MST Tool in Windows 8.1 with success?

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:34 pm

I set up a test machine with x64 8.1 and MST runs without any problems (other than the known non working devices tab).

Mad cap ideas:

Maybe try running it as administrator for a test?

You could also uninstall, reboot, play around with the sleep options in control panel - change settings and save, then re-install and try again?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:44 pm

If you're brave then you could also uninstall mst, then scan through regedit looking for Herman, this should find the MST keys I think - delete them, reboot and then re-install.

(the developer is called Herman van Ejik), he puts the MST keys in the registry under his name..... I think.
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

deadlast

Post by deadlast » Sun Jan 26, 2014 11:55 am

holidayboy wrote:If you're brave then you could also uninstall mst, then scan through regedit looking for Herman, this should find the MST keys I think - delete them, reboot and then re-install.
LOL, ended up noticing a few odd things, ie Couldn't open privileged tasks anymore, sfc /scannow and chkdsk found nothing. In the end, I figured the last time I built the system was October 2013, so I used Acronis True Image to go back to my base install, updated it and created a new base image and backed it up, then configured it like it was and everything is now working fine. This all occurred after the January Patch Tuesday updates so very strange, but meh, all fixed now :)

Cheers for all the advice guys. The MST Tool just seems to always get the right Resolution, etc when bringing the PC out of sleep, whereas without it, I end up with an odd looking Media Center until its rebooted lol