"Recorded" show list keeps rebuilding itself

FMinMI

HTPC Specs: Show details

"Recorded" show list keeps rebuilding itself

Post by FMinMI » Mon Jan 20, 2014 3:08 am

Hello all,

I have a weird problem on one of my computers running Win7 Home Premium SP1. I have several computers in the house and a media center that does all the recording/storing, and I used the other computers to replay the shows on the corresponding TV that is next to those computers. Every time I turn this one computer on, then go to RECORDED TV, it now comes up blank then begins rebuilding the list of shows on the media server. It never did that before nor do any of the other computers (also WIN7 Home Premium w/SP1). Of course this is a pain to wait for it to do it (upward of 2 minutes since I have about 110 shows recorded).

Anyone have any ideas as to why it is forgetting the shows? This computer by the way is never shut down -- I just put it into sleep mode. And no new programs were added to it.

Thanks for any suggestions.

Frank
MIchigan

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 6:45 am

Are the TV recordings going to the default storage location?

Do all PC's connect to the shared recorded TV folder using the same credentials?

Have you opened up Windows Media Player on the problem PC to check if all recordings show up there?

You could also try rebuilding the Media Player database maybe (tools>advanced>rebuild.... I think).

It might even be worth rebuilding the Windows Indexing stuff from Control Panel>indexing options?
Rob.

TGB.tv - the one stop shop for the more discerning Media Center user.

FMinMI

Post by FMinMI » Fri Jan 24, 2014 4:31 pm

holidayboy wrote:Are the TV recordings going to the default storage location?

Do all PC's connect to the shared recorded TV folder using the same credentials?

Have you opened up Windows Media Player on the problem PC to check if all recordings show up there?

You could also try rebuilding the Media Player database maybe (tools>advanced>rebuild.... I think).

It might even be worth rebuilding the Windows Indexing stuff from Control Panel>indexing options?
Thanks for the reply holidayboy.

All shows are recorded on a single computer/server, and in Libraries on each computer I point RECORDED TV to that server.

I have never used Windows Media Player on any of the PCs, in fact I never set it up or updated it. I tried it years ago and hated it. And I know that when you first start it up it wants to make a lot changes so I just leave it alone. Are you saying it is an integral part of WMC? If not, I don't want to mess with it...

As for rebuilding Windows Indexing I assume you mean on the one computer I have a problem with. That I will do...

Frank

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Fri Jan 24, 2014 7:01 pm

Media Center and Media Player share a common library so it's worth a try.

Yes, I meant the indexing options on the remote PC that is having issues.

Let us know how you get on...
Rob.

FMinMI

Post by FMinMI » Fri Feb 14, 2014 4:05 pm

holidayboy wrote:Media Center and Media Player share a common library so it's worth a try.

Yes, I meant the indexing options on the remote PC that is having issues.

Let us know how you get on...
So I tried a number of things including the rebuild of the search file. No good. This one computer (and only this one) wants to randomly rebuilt the list of recorded shows :-(

holidayboy

Post by holidayboy » Sat Feb 15, 2014 3:45 pm

:(

I guess you could try setting up a new user account on the troublesome PC and see if MC performs the same way under that account maybe?

I don't think I've seen this behaviour before...
Rob.