Plex and MB3 Talk

NWW

HTPC Specs: Show details

Post by NWW » Fri Jan 10, 2014 4:13 pm

Embiggens wrote:How quickly does Plex or MB3 transcode WTV files? Will these quickly get ahead of where you are in the video that you can skip commercials easily?
I don't know about plex, but I'm tinkering with MediaBrowser3 for the past few days. To answer your question: my server is a i5-2500k @ 4.2GHz, my "client" is a Surface RT (1st Gen). I tried a 9Mbps 1080p recording from BBC One HD's Sherlock, it ran smoothly, very fast. Jumping around the video takes about 1 to 2 seconds to have it buffer and play again. It's pretty neat actually!

I have to echo what others have already said. The developers are really reactive, and they constantly add new features (Live TV being the next big one). App developers listen to feedback and are open to changes.

It's basically Plex, but prettier (yes I don't like the XBMC style layout ^^)

wally007

Post by wally007 » Sat Jan 11, 2014 12:13 pm

I've been using Plex since OSXBMC days. I tried MB3 but it has got long way to get to Plex level of polish. But it's way more polished than PLex was in its first year, that's for sure.
iPhone app - MB3 is prettier but Plex has ALOT more features (myPLex, (cloud) Sync) plus Plex transcoding is way more polished. Also Plex iOS app is updated often while MB3 iOS hasnt been updated since its release in September.
iPad app - well MB3 has none. We use Plex on iPad all the time.

Web Server app - I like Plex's interface better ( less clutter and consistent color palette. For example MB3's theme is nice grey but some elements just scream out, like ratings, ugly green logo etc ) but that's personal preference. myPlex queue, sync control, ability to send content to any Plex client...

Home Theater app - well that's a toss. I also dont like new Plex HT theme and I think it's terribly designed, reminds me of old web sites using frames. Obviously this is personal preference but just about any recent XBMC skin looks better but Plex HT is farily stable now and feature complete. Once MB3 theater is complete and stable I think it will be much better and prettier than Plex HT but its not there yet.

Channels/plugins - I havent used any MB3 plugins and Plex' channels are terrible. Very unstable, one day they work , then for 1-2 weeks they wont work etc... I never use Plex channels anymore. It's that frustrating.

And most important feature (for my family) - Live TV. Plex is not getting it , EVER. They once referred to PVR as 'kitchen skin' in Home Theater software. Based on the posts on MB3 forums, Live TV will come to MB3 Server soon-ish and other clients will follow.

Once Live TV is stable enough in MB3, no matter what Plex does better, I will switch. For us, Live TV is that important. (For now I'm using MCE with Plex launcher but I'm looking for all in one solution, like everybody else i suppose )

jaselig

Post by jaselig » Sun Jan 12, 2014 5:47 pm

Regarding the comments about Plex not getting metadata: I also have Plex working great with .wtv files and partially have Plex getting the metadata, using WTV-Metarenamer. My wife primarily uses WMC for watching recorded TV using an Xbox as a media extender, but we also have a couple of Roku's on some other TV's, so we have WMC and Plex both in use.

This is a Windows Power Shell script that requires editing an xml file to get it configured correctly, but seems to work great once you figure it out. In my case, I have WMC record all shows in a directory, in my case, \Recorded TV. I then run this script which will scan this directory for any new recordings. If it is a series, it will create (if not already created) a subdirectory of the series name, then a subdirectory of the series number, then rename and move the file into that directory. For example, in my case, a file will get recorded as something like: E:\Recorded TV\The Big Bang Theory_The Itchy Brain Simulation_2013_10_15_19_59_00_12.wtv. Running this script will rename and move it to: E:\Recorded TV\The Big Bang Theory\Season 7\The Big Bang Theory - S07E08 - The Itchy Brain Simulation.wtv. Then in Plex I add Recorded TV as type "TV Shows" and it works. There are cases where TV Shows will not be recognized by the script - some series and single shows, such as movies or specials. In my case I have it move those all to a subdirectory I call "Other Episodes" and then add this directory as type "Movies" so they still show up. If it is a Special or other single recording it will also show up here. Not perfect but it's a step better. I also add the execution of this script as a scheduled task so I don't have to think about it. I just have it run a couple times a day to update any new recordings. The scheduled task in my case runs the following .bat file:

E:
cd \WTV-MetaRenamer
powershell -file "E:\WTV-MetaRenamer\WTV-MetaRenamer.ps1"

What is also nice is that I can still watch these shows in WMC if needed. WMC will recognize that these files are moved and they still show up just the same in WMC. If I happen to be watching a show in WMC when the script runs, I can see in a log file that it generates an error that the file is in use, and then does not get processed until it runs the next time when file is available. If I delete old episodes in WMC, they will delete fine and also disappear from Plex.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:26 pm

jaselig wrote:Regarding the comments about Plex not getting metadata: I also have Plex working great with .wtv files and partially have Plex getting the metadata, using WTV-Metarenamer. My wife primarily uses WMC for watching recorded TV using an Xbox as a media extender, but we also have a couple of Roku's on some other TV's, so we have WMC and Plex both in use.

This is a Windows Power Shell script that requires editing an xml file to get it configured correctly, but seems to work great once you figure it out. In my case, I have WMC record all shows in a directory, in my case, \Recorded TV. I then run this script which will scan this directory for any new recordings. If it is a series, it will create (if not already created) a subdirectory of the series name, then a subdirectory of the series number, then rename and move the file into that directory. For example, in my case, a file will get recorded as something like: E:\Recorded TV\The Big Bang Theory_The Itchy Brain Simulation_2013_10_15_19_59_00_12.wtv. Running this script will rename and move it to: E:\Recorded TV\The Big Bang Theory\Season 7\The Big Bang Theory - S07E08 - The Itchy Brain Simulation.wtv. Then in Plex I add Recorded TV as type "TV Shows" and it works. There are cases where TV Shows will not be recognized by the script - some series and single shows, such as movies or specials. In my case I have it move those all to a subdirectory I call "Other Episodes" and then add this directory as type "Movies" so they still show up. If it is a Special or other single recording it will also show up here. Not perfect but it's a step better. I also add the execution of this script as a scheduled task so I don't have to think about it. I just have it run a couple times a day to update any new recordings. The scheduled task in my case runs the following .bat file:

E:
cd \WTV-MetaRenamer

What is also nice is that I can still watch these shows in WMC if needed. WMC will recognize that these files are moved and they still show up just the same in WMC. If I happen to be watching a show in WMC when the script runs, I can see in a log file that it generates an error that the file is in use, and then does not get processed until it runs the next time when file is available. If I delete old episodes in WMC, they will delete fine and also disappear from Plex.

Would you be willing to post the ps1 file? That sounds like what most of us want the naming process to be. I played with it this weekend and see how your script would make life a lot easier. Thanks in advance.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Mon Jan 13, 2014 2:29 pm

I spent a good amount of time playing with the PLEX server this weekend. So far seems very good. Everything played for me on all devices and I was able to sync to my devices as well. Some things I was wondering, the listings seem to be huge and take up a lot of screen. Meaning you see about 5 titles and then have to scroll. I looked at the RARFLIX channel but that seemed to be just a lit more refined. Is their a way to get more titles per screen? Is this the complaint why people opt to MB3? All in all it has so far been pleasant to use.

NWW

Post by NWW » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:12 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:
jaselig wrote:Regarding the comments about Plex not getting metadata: I also have Plex working great with .wtv files and partially have Plex getting the metadata, using WTV-Metarenamer. My wife primarily uses WMC for watching recorded TV using an Xbox as a media extender, but we also have a couple of Roku's on some other TV's, so we have WMC and Plex both in use.

E:
cd \WTV-MetaRenamer

Would you be willing to post the ps1 file? That sounds like what most of us want the naming process to be. I played with it this weekend and see how your script would make life a lot easier. Thanks in advance.
You can download it from here : http://wtvmetarenamer.codeplex.com/

You'll have to run a .bat at a scheduled time (or event, as I do it) for it to run automatically.

There is also another one for Movies if you're interested.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Mon Jan 13, 2014 3:14 pm

Great thanks. I was just about to post the link I found:

http://wtvmetarenamer.codeplex.com/
(looks like only 81 downloads for this :( not many media center folks around these days it seems).

Looks to be the same as yours. Can you post the movie one too so I make sure I get the same one.

Also the above statement:
"This is a Windows Power Shell script that requires editing an xml file to get it configured correctly, but seems to work great once you figure it out" does this hold true in the version 17 or can we just let it roll?

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Mon Jan 13, 2014 4:02 pm

Three other cons (soley on the roku not plex),

No way to completely turn the device off, even in idle it is warm to the touch. I for now pull the plug out of them. Also when setting up the wireless network you must really fish around to find the mac address if you are restricting them or you have to turn off the restriction, add it then put back the restriction. Had a 5yr old wanting to play angry birds so that was no fun getting it up. Also one full day of playing around (mostly flicking them damn birds) and the remote needed new batteries! Yikes that's going to add up! Anyway to use a xbox controller on the Roku (I did not try, just dawned on me when I thought of the battery bill, yes I know RECHARGEABLES)?

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Jan 14, 2014 2:25 pm

NWW wrote:There is also another one for Movies if you're interested.

Can you post this one, it is not as easy to find I guess. Thanks, also do you have a nice modified xml that catches most shows more accurately?

NWW

Post by NWW » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:19 pm

IownFIVEechos wrote:

Can you post this one, it is not as easy to find I guess. Thanks, also do you have a nice modified xml that catches most shows more accurately?
Can't seem to upload it here, I put it up on my Skydrive

There are two folders:

Movie Renamer: it's for movies. Included is a .bat that moves movies from D/Recorded to D/utorrent/complete (my folder that MCM monitors). Change those according to your usage. Also there is a .vbs that I use to run the .bat silently (I never managed to run a .bat silently, so I do it this way.)

WTV MetaRenamer: I've put in my .xml, but it is suited for my setup... You should experiment with it.

EDIT: and of course, I forgot the link to skydrive... x)

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=D ... =folder%2c

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:02 pm

NWW wrote:
IownFIVEechos wrote:

Can't seem to upload it here, I put it up on my Skydrive

There are two folders:

Movie Renamer: it's for movies. Included is a .bat that moves movies from D/Recorded to D/utorrent/complete (my folder that MCM monitors). Change those according to your usage. Also there is a .vbs that I use to run the .bat silently (I never managed to run a .bat silently, so I do it this way.)

WTV MetaRenamer: I've put in my .xml, but it is suited for my setup... You should experiment with it.

EDIT: and of course, I forgot the link to skydrive... x)

https://skydrive.live.com/redir?resid=D ... =folder%2c

Great thanks again, I grabbed it if you want to remove it etc.. I will give it a shot.

NWW

Post by NWW » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:03 pm

I'll leave it up for a couple of days if anyone else is interested.

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Tue Jan 14, 2014 8:46 pm

The next big question, THEMES. Is it possible on a non-mac version? Seems to chunky otherwise. May have to look at MB3 too. I was hoping the roku channel would look like XBMC with the bar across the bottom with the categories etc.. am I missing a setting?

3rob3

Post by 3rob3 » Tue Jan 14, 2014 11:16 pm

You can run themes. At least on the Raspberry Pi build the stock Confluence XBMC theme is included. Look around in settings.

jaselig

Post by jaselig » Fri Jan 17, 2014 5:38 am

There was a request to post the ps1 file, and there was a response with the link to download it: http://wtvmetarenamer.codeplex.com. Sorry, I should have included that. To configure and customize for your use, you have to edit the "WTV-MetaRenamer.xml" file. Here is what I have for your reference:

<?xml version="1.0" encoding="UTF-8"?>
<config>
<default_language></default_language>
<xml_cache></xml_cache>
<recordings>E:\Recorded TV</recordings>
<accept_single_bme></accept_single_bme>
<move_to>E:\Recorded TV</move_to>
<move_to_single_folder></move_to_single_folder>
<move_to_season_folders></move_to_season_folders>
<season_folder_name></season_folder_name>
<specials_folder_name></specials_folder_name>
<season_number_format></season_number_format>
<episode_name_format></episode_name_format>
<create_series_folder_if_missing></create_series_folder_if_missing>
<delete_if_dest_exists></delete_if_dest_exists>
<rename_if_dest_exists></rename_if_dest_exists>
<move_episode_if_unmatched></move_episode_if_unmatched>
<min_age></min_age>
<change_char from="&" to="and" />
<change_char from="?" to="" />
<change_char from="/\" to="-" />
<change_char from=":" to="," />
<change_char from="*" to="-" />
<ignore_series></ignore_series>
<only_series></only_series>
<create_undo_logs></create_undo_logs>
<create_processing_logs></create_processing_logs>
<log_path></log_path>
<move_unmatched_series>E:\Single Recordings</move_unmatched_series>
<move_unmatched_episodes>E:\Recorded TV\Other Episodes</move_unmatched_episodes>
<move_duplicate_episodes></move_duplicate_episodes>
<move_ignored_series></move_ignored_series>
<attribute_title></attribute_title>
<attribute_date_created></attribute_date_created>
<attribute_subtitle></attribute_subtitle>
<attribute_program_description></attribute_program_description>
<attribute_recording_time></attribute_recording_time>
<attribute_broadcast_date></attribute_broadcast_date>
<convert_to_dvrms></convert_to_dvrms>
<delete_wtv_after_conversion></delete_wtv_after_conversion>
<move_wtv_after_conversion></move_wtv_after_conversion>
<commercial_metadata_path></commercial_metadata_path>
</config>

It's basically the default file, here are some of the key changes I made for my setup

This is the default folder where I have WMC saving the .wtv files
<recordings>E:\Recorded TV</recordings>

This is the folder where WTV-Metarenamer moves the files after getting renamed. This is the same as the same root folder. All renamed files of series are moved to subdirectories that are created under this folder.
<move_to>E:\Recorded TV</move_to>

This is the folder where single shows such as movies or specials are moved.
<move_unmatched_series>E:\Single Recordings</move_unmatched_series>

This is the folder where series are moved that could not be renamed.
<move_unmatched_episodes>E:\Recorded TV\Other Episodes</move_unmatched_episodes>

the "change_char" attribute is used to substitute characters in the filename. For example, this string:
<change_char from="&" to="and" />
..will change a name such as "Mike & Molly" to "Mike and Molly"

My wife likes to watch MASH. Although the original .wtv filename will include "M-A-S-H" as a part of it, the script will look up the episode and based on the and attempt to rename it to M-A-S-H, when the script runs and looks up the episode, it tries to rename the file to include "M*A*S*H" as a part of the file, which is not a valid filename

It's not perfect but gets most of them. Each time it runs there is a logfile generated which you can look at to see why a series may not get converted. You can probably tweak the xml file to refine it further for more accuracy.

In Plex, I add a library section of type "TV Shows" for E:\Recorded TV, and a library section of type "Movies" for E:\Single Recordings so they'll show up.

There is one problem with the above configuration - series not recognized are moved into a folder under "Recorded TV" called "Other Episodes". These files are not renamed. Plex misinterprets the folder "Other episodes" as the "Preston Episodes" with all of the files under there. This folder should be moved out and mapped as a library of type "Movies" or I should look at these episodes and the log files and try to get them renamed properly but I haven't bothered yet. Anyway, hope this helps...

IownFIVEechos

Post by IownFIVEechos » Fri Jan 17, 2014 3:01 pm

Thanks Jaselig, I hope to try it out this weekend.

christoph86

Post by christoph86 » Wed Feb 12, 2014 11:27 pm

How do you edit the XML file to your own settings for the wtvrenamer?

mike_ekim

Post by mike_ekim » Mon Mar 24, 2014 5:35 pm

NWW wrote:
Embiggens wrote:How quickly does Plex or MB3 transcode WTV files? Will these quickly get ahead of where you are in the video that you can skip commercials easily?
I don't know about plex, but I'm tinkering with MediaBrowser3 for the past few days. To answer your question: my server is a i5-2500k @ 4.2GHz, my "client" is a Surface RT (1st Gen). I tried a 9Mbps 1080p recording from BBC One HD's Sherlock, it ran smoothly, very fast. Jumping around the video takes about 1 to 2 seconds to have it buffer and play again. It's pretty neat actually!
My server is not nearly as powerful as NWW's (dual core i3 @ 2.9 GHz), I'm using Plex, and for me buffering takes about 10 seconds when you skip around. As far as I can tell Plex doesn't transcode ahead of time, it transcodes as you go; so even if you want to 'rewind' or skip back a couple of minutes you will need to wait for buffering. I'm curious to know if MB3 does the same.