Weird issue with receiver

A place to talk about GPUs/Motherboards/CPUs/Cases/Remotes, etc.
lucasbuck

HTPC Specs: Show details

Weird issue with receiver

Post by lucasbuck » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:15 am

This isn't really a problem that needs fixed, it's just weirding me out. I'm coming out of a home remodel, got a new TV, and had to go through the process of setting up my media closet again. So I have my HTPC, and here's how things are run:
Video: HTPC DVI out from the video card (through a DVI to HDMI converter plug) straight to the HDMI input on the Sharp TV
Sound: Out through the HTPC's optical out, into the digital in of a receiver, which sends it straight to the 5 surround sound speakers.

Normally, I had my Harmony remote turn on the TV and the receiver. All sound was controlled by it, so even if the TV was off, the sound still played. But now, if I turn off the TV (with the TV's original remote), a few seconds later, the receiver shuts down. So I'm puzzled, how does the receiver know the TV is on or off? Maybe I'm dumb or missing something (or been working on wiring too late tonight and am tired), but I can't figure it out.

webminster

Post by webminster » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:57 am

Look in your TV or receiver settings for HDMI-CEC (or whatever your vendor calls it) power control settings. Sounds like your receiver is set up to power up/down from CEC signals from the TV through the HDMI hookup.
-Alan

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:50 am

I had the same problem with my new TV. I went to play a CD in the Blu-ray player & the TV turned on. I turned off the TV & the Blu-ray player turned off. I disabled CEC in the Blu-ray player & everything is back to normal.

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:31 pm

But that's the weird part, the sound doesn't come through HDMI. HDMI doesn't go to the receiver. HDMI is sending video and sound to the TV and I just turn the volume down. The receiver gets it's input from the optical out on the HTPC (optical is off the motherboard, the HDMI is coming from a video card). I don't see what the connection would be between the receiver and the TV.

smcmillan2

Post by smcmillan2 » Sun Jan 05, 2014 1:46 pm

lucasbuck wrote:...But now, if I turn off the TV (with the TV's original remote), a few seconds later, the receiver shuts down. So I'm puzzled, how does the receiver know the TV is on or off? Maybe I'm dumb or missing something (or been working on wiring too late tonight and am tired), but I can't figure it out.
Is your equipment plugged into one of those smart power strips that has a "master" outlet like this? Sounds like your TV is plugged into a master outlet and receiver in one of the "slaves".

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Sun Jan 05, 2014 8:38 pm

Nope, the TV is in one room, the receiver is in a closet.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Sun Jan 05, 2014 9:30 pm

lucasbuck wrote:But that's the weird part, the sound doesn't come through HDMI. HDMI doesn't go to the receiver. HDMI is sending video and sound to the TV and I just turn the volume down. The receiver gets it's input from the optical out on the HTPC (optical is off the motherboard, the HDMI is coming from a video card). I don't see what the connection would be between the receiver and the TV.
It could be in the power settings for your AVR, If there is no input signal detected it may shut down after XX seconds/minutes... Check the settings for the AVR and see if by some chance there are power configuration settings maybe? Either that or maybe the off signal from the remote for the TV is sending an off signal to the AVR as well and the signal used for one is close to or same as the other for the "off/shutdown function", but I would think they would both power off at the same time if this were the case. Are there any other devices connected via HDMI from the TV to the AVR? if so then maybe a HDMI-CEC signal is getting to the AVR via another cable? I'm just guessing here as I have no idea what all you have hooked up..
newfiend~

lucasbuck

Post by lucasbuck » Sun Jan 05, 2014 11:44 pm

The first theory wouldn't be it because the AVR is still getting an audio signal from the HTPC, even with the TV off. Turning off the TV wouldn't affect the motherboard outputting to the optical out. That's why on my old TV, the sound would play through the surround even with the TV off. Turning off the TV wouldn't tell the HTPC to cut off the optical out.
The second theory about the remote wouldn't work, as I was using the remote that came with the TV (which is IR), I haven't set my RF Harmony up yet. The TV and AVR are several rooms away.

The AVR has nothing plugged into the HDMI ports on it. The only things connected to the AVR are the optical in, 5 surround speakers, and a powered sub.

Really, it's nothing I need to 'fix', it probably works better this way. I just thought I would throw it out there since (at least to me) it's an interesting puzzle.

Mike88

Post by Mike88 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 8:44 am

You could turn off the CEC in the TV and/or receiver just to see if that makes a difference. Maybe the control signal is somehow looping around & getting through on the other connections. That would at least tell you it's the CEC. And you could turn it back on if you wanted to.

newfiend

Post by newfiend » Mon Jan 06, 2014 7:50 pm

That my friend is a very strange issue. If you get a definitive answer let us know. Definitely weird.. Hmmm... Nice that it shuts down like that but how it's getting the CEC signal??? Wi-Fi? Osmosis? LOL

Dkeyguy1

Post by Dkeyguy1 » Mon Jan 06, 2014 11:24 pm

Media Center Gremlin