Copy listings from another channel?

davewilldo

HTPC Specs: Show details

Copy listings from another channel?

Post by davewilldo » Sat Dec 28, 2013 6:47 pm

Hi everyone, hope you all had a good holiday and here's wishing you all a prosperous New Year.

During the holiday I was attempting to get listings for the dbv-s FreeSat HD 'RT News' channel by using the listings from the terrestrial dvb-t channel.
I went through the process of "COPY LISTINGS", copying the listings from the dvb-t FreeView 'RT News' to the dvb-s FreeSat channel, keeping the channels seperate, but strangely the listings that appear are are incorrect. (I believe they may be the listings for the "International" RT Channel).
What I do not understand is why the dvb-s FreeSat channel has no listings but when I try and copy the listings from the FreeView channel incorrect listings appear. Where are the incorrect listings coming from?
Is there a way around this that forces Media Center to do what is selected?
Also I wonder what the 'Enable / Disable Inband" setting in the 'Edit Listings' section actually does, or should do?
Regards to all.

barnabas1969

Post by barnabas1969 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 4:05 pm

I recommend using Guide Tool to set the listings source (lineup) for the channel.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Tue Dec 31, 2013 10:42 am

davewilldo wrote:I went through the process of "COPY LISTINGS", copying the listings from the dvb-t FreeView 'RT News' to the dvb-s FreeSat channel, keeping the channels separate, but strangely the listings that appear are are incorrect. (I believe they may be the listings for the "International" RT Channel).
The only reason to watch the "Russia Today" channel is for the apoplectic Max Keiser in "Keiser Report", but I have noticed recently that the Microsoft downloaded EPG for DVB-T Freeview is sometimes incorrect -- it will show that the "Keiser Report" is on at a particular time, but the programme actually broadcast at that time is something else. I use Vista, so the EPG that is broadcast with the DVB-T signals is not available to me, so I do not know whether the broadcast EPG is more accurate -- hopefully it is.
davewilldo wrote:Also I wonder what the 'Enable / Disable Inband" setting in the 'Edit Listings' section actually does, or should do?
The "inband EPG" is what I have called the "broadcast EPG" above. If you disable the inband EPG, Media Center will ignore it completely. If you enable the inband EPG, MC will use it to fill in any gaps in the Microsoft downloaded EPG (e.g. for the recently added minor channels such as "Drama" and "True Entertainment"). If you do not use the Microsoft downloaded EPG, MC will use the inband EPG to populate the entire EPG. (At least, I think that that is how it works.)

Note that MC is unable to extract from the DVB-T inband EPG the EPG for the DVB-T2 high-definition channels -- you can only get those from the Microsoft downloaded EPG (or some other EPG source).

-- from CyberSimian in the UK

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Wed Jan 01, 2014 10:49 am

CyberSimian wrote:I do not know whether the broadcast EPG is more accurate -- hopefully it is.
I was scrolling through the WMC EPG yesterday and happened to notice that the programme on the "Russia Today" channel was supposed to be "Keiser Report", but when I selected that channel the programme turned out to be a general news programme. So I switched on my Humax PVR, to see what its EPG claimed (the Humax receives the broadcast EPG, of course). Sadly, the broadcast EPG also claimed that "Keiser Report" was the current programme.

So it seems that the broadcast EPG is as inaccurate as the downloaded Microsoft EPG for the "Russia Today" channel.

davewilldo

Post by davewilldo » Sat Jan 11, 2014 10:04 am

Thanks for your help on this.
Following your advice I have played around and tested the EPG's, BVB-S v DVB-T, and it appears that the DVB-T is accurate.
I prefer watching RT in HD so that was why I wished to transpose / copy the listings from DVB-T to the DVB-S HD channel.
There are certain channels that are made for the UK that are not shwon on the RT "International" channel and although the RT HD DVB-S channel shows the "International" listings it does in fact broadcast the UK line up.
During this playing around I found that zingzing listings are accurate for the UK and I used these listings to set up manual recordings.
Having set up the series times to manually record "Going Underground" I named the recording "Going Underground", when I come to view the program in Recorded TV I notice it re-names my manual recording to what is on the "International" listings. "Going Underground" became "Documantary"
I notice CyberSimian found the Humax listing was incorrect.
I wonder if your Humax is DVB-T or DVB-S, as I notice the DVB-S is the incorrect listing for the UK.
Got to grips with "Inband EPG" as well now that you have explained it.
Thanks again for all your help.

CyberSimian

Post by CyberSimian » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:51 am

davewilldo wrote:I notice CyberSimian found the Humax listing was incorrect.
I wonder if your Humax is DVB-T or DVB-S, as I notice the DVB-S is the incorrect listing for the UK.
My Humax PVR is an HDR-Fox-T2, so it receives DVB-T/T2 Freeview, and not DVB-S/S2 Freesat.